HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertocarlos View Post
Breaking News: Boston Pizza is not a very good restaurant.
BP may not be but the Enright family seem to be making money at operating the Manitoba rights to BP. Every few years they seem to open up a new one in Manitoba.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Breaking News: Boston Pizza is not a very good restaurant.
The thing with Boston Pizza is it might not be the best food anywhere but it is far from the worst either. It is a solid middle ground choice with a depth on the menu that most people can find something. And virtually every location has a lounge and does a good job marketing that side of the business to the adult rec sports leagues. That draws in teams and other groups after events to have some drinks and appetizers.

End of the day it isn't necessarily about top quality food above all else but rather what brings in the most revenue at the end of the day.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 1:33 PM

^ Relentless advertising keeps BP going.

It isn't a favourite of mine but I inevitably end up going in at least a few of times a year... I can see the merit in BP as a place you go with a bunch of people for a beer first and foremost with the food as an afterthought.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 4:52 PM

BP is exactly what would be expected of that type of chain. It ain't bad, but not gourmet. Mostly go to City Place pregame for beers and some wings. Maybe a burger. The pizza though isn't bad for a chain place.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:02 PM

OK I'll try the pizza and beer next time. Still have a gift card.

It's just that when you order a dish with shrimp as a second meat and it has 2 pieces of 40/60 shrimp and it costs 20 dollars it's just disappointing when you can barely afford McD's.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKGUY View Post
Well, Leila & McPhillips under construction and then Henderson and Also Regent inkedeen up to open as well.Between Christmas and early in New year 2020
I thunk some people do no know it is open yet. But with them opening 5 locations, Mary Browns now has 6, Chicken chef to add a 6th soon as well. Jollibee opening another inside Seafood city plus..the KFC and C Delight locations, we shall see. Popeye's & Mary Browns are clearly superior with C Chef next.
Where have you seen there will be a Jollibee in Seafood City? Also where will that Chicken Chef be?

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 5:18 PM

Quote:
OK I'll try the pizza and beer next time. Still have a gift card.

It's just that when you order a dish with shrimp as a second meat and it has 2 pieces of 40/60 shrimp and it costs 20 dollars it's just disappointing when you can barely afford McD's.
I probably wouldn't order something like that at BP. If I want shrimp I'll go to a seafood place. Even then, being smack dab in the middle of North America, probably not the best place for seafood.

BP is a sports bar to me. Go there for deep fried stuff. burgers. Their pizza. I would assume all their food comes from one of the large distributors.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
I probably wouldn't order something like that at BP. If I want shrimp I'll go to a seafood place. Even then, being smack dab in the middle of North America, probably not the best place for seafood.

BP is a sports bar to me. Go there for deep fried stuff. burgers. Their pizza. I would assume all their food comes from one of the large distributors.
Most if not all restaurants get their supplies delivered from GFS (Gordon Food Service), Sysco or Pratt's. If you are really small or a Boutique type you may go to Sobey's Cash and Carry or the Loblaw's Wholesale on Ellice and pick it up yourself. I'm not sure how many would buy from Costco but I guess some do.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:18 PM
What could go wrong?

Who goes to Boston Pizza and orders anything other than pizza and beer? Their pizza's are quite good (assuming you are not expecting an authentic Italian pizza).

Great for a family dinner too.

Not every restaurant has to be Segovia or 529.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 6:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Who goes to Boston Pizza and orders anything other than pizza and beer?
I always get the boeuf bourguignon with a cabernet and I always end up disappointed.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2019, 7:21 PM

I had a good meal at Boston Pizza once. I was quite surprised, so we went back another time and ordered the same thing. Not good. I thought maybe it was an off night, so we tried again, and still no good. I think the one good meal I had was probably the anomaly. But I get it, it's a good place for beer and wings with the team or a good place to take a gaggle of fidgety kids, but for grown adults on a Tuesday night looking for something good to eat, I'll take an Earls or Moxies if I have a hankering for a suburban chain restaurant meal.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Who goes to Boston Pizza and orders anything other than pizza and beer?
Exactly. When I think of BP, I think either after work drinks with co-workers, post-game bevvies with the team, and the occasional Jets/Monday Night Football with friends.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 1:55 PM
What could go wrong?

^^^I have to say, I don't think I could tell you another item on the menu at Boston Pizza other than the pizza's. I know years ago I ordered a baked pasta but that might be it. Boston Pizza seems like it fills it's niche perfectly. I would never think I was going to get a good steak there knowing they specialize in pizza.

Pizza, drinks and TV's.....that is their bit.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 2:18 PM

Boston Pizza fits into a cross between a straight up pub and a restaurant. I often call them "beer and burgers" . Typically the menu for those places has beer, nachos, wings, burgers, fries and a long selection of other appetizers. It would not be uncommon to see some form of fish and chips on the menu.

After typing that I checked and sure enough Boston Pizza checks all those boxes except the fish and chips. I am actually surprised they aren't ordering some sort of factory battered fish they could toss in their deep fryer. That Boston Pizza has pizza is just a side of what their true core has become.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 8:26 PM

Boston Pizza kind of moved into that decent sit-down pizza restaurant niche that Pizza Hut once owned...and then subsequently abandoned in an ill-advised race to the bottom with the 2-for-1 (and 3-for-1) places that started to spread in the early 90s.

I guess delivery was the growth part of Pizza Hut's business and they felt they had to compete on price, but man, they ended up killing the golden goose.

Old Posted Oct 3, 2019, 8:36 PM

I tend to go with the Pizza Hotline type stuff if I want something quick and cheap, or I go to a sit down restaurant for a nicer experience. Pizza Hut to my mind is the worst of both worlds...

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vjose32 View Post
Where have you seen there will be a Jollibee in Seafood City? Also where will that Chicken Chef be?
i think from here...
ttps://www.retail-insider.com/retail...-across-canada

I doubt there will actually be one in the store. No signage up for Jollibee but signs up for the rest of the in store eatery’s.

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 8:46 PM

Pardon my ignorance. Seafood City is a grocer? I thought it was a restaurant like Red Lobster or Joey's only..

Old Posted Oct 4, 2019, 9:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Pardon my ignorance. Seafood City is a grocer? I thought it was a restaurant like Red Lobster or Joey's only..
Seafood City is a Filipino American grocery chain (started in California but specializing in Filipino groceries). They have one other location in Canada.

From my understanding traditional Filipino food differs slightly than what can be found in other Asian groceries so the local Filipino community would substitute the closet thing found locally. So this will carry items not found elsewhere in the city.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2019, 3:28 PM

A new Indian restaurant, Holy Spice, opened near Kennaston and Scurfield not too long ago and I can confirm it's quite excellent, definitely give it a try. Seems to be a family run business and the owners were very grateful to have our business, the service and food are great.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ho...!4d-97.1934936

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan