HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
The Golub townhome plan was shown at a PDNA meeting not too long ago.
Thanks for reminding us how hideous these are going to be.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
Tee-pee lamp posts. There are quite a few of them. Eventually they'll be hidden by trees.
WHAT THE HELL are those things. They are all over the entire park. Initially I thought they surely were just simplified cranes, temporarily situated for construction. At worst, they look like a flock of alien spider-cum-transformers descended upon Grant Park; at best, MDP looks like a theme park. People are going to flip out over them. If trees are the strategic answer here, nobody who remembers Maggie Daley will still be alive by the time all those trees reach maturity.

Whatever function they are providing could surely have been constructed in a more unobtrusive manner - what is the backstory here?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:54 AM

^Your quote answers your question. They're lamp posts. Trees will hide them. It's a big open play area, open to the public until 10pm. It's gotta be lit. Angling them to hide among the trees is better than doing nothing.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdaaron View Post
^Your quote answers your question. They're lamp posts. Trees will hide them. It's a big open play area, open to the public until 10pm. It's gotta be lit. Angling them to hide among the trees is better than doing nothing.
They looked larger (in diameter) than necessary to be solely lamp posts. (Edit - The photo attached to the quoted post does have lights attached to it, but there are so many of these across the park that it wasn't immediately clear that each one serves the same purpose.) "Angling them to hide among trees" (that won't be able to hide them for a long while) is not better than doing nothing. Doing nothing would mean simply having ordinary vertical, slender lamp posts that, according to pythagoras, would also be shorter, and would require fewer trees for camouflage.

It's possible a larger quantity of normal lampposts would be needed, but there is little downside to that, as they would be largely unnoticed, particularly during daylight.

Last edited by denizen467; Oct 22, 2014 at 4:44 AM.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:14 AM
TL;DR

The light masts are oriented around the perimeter of the "Lawn Valley" feature to allow for nighttime events. Looks like they are a chopped-and-screwed version of the "friday night lights" at high school football stadiums.

However...

deviantart/WaroftheWorlds

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 AM

^ !

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardecila View Post
a chopped-and-screwed version of the "friday night lights" at high school football stadiums.
I'm sure it's an apt description, but I'm lost and could spend a half hour with urban dictionary and wikipedia and not figure this one out..

Anyhow, if these are purely lampposts, they might end up being cool at a large playfield out in the neighborhoods. But Grant Park, downtown Chicago, is not the type of place you take something that is normally almost entirely utilitiarian and invisible, and over-adorn it ad absurdum, and then also clone it like ten times within the same vicinity. This is in contrast to the BP Bridge, which is a single object turned into a single piece of sculpture, or the Pritzker Pavilion lawn's overhead lattice, which is a largely minimalistic utilitarian structure. I don't know whether these will end up looking okay, but even if they do, they may be bringing Grant Park closer to something like Navy Pier kitsch.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
Mystery Facade Test at the old X/O site:

looks like City Hyde Park facade to me

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:00 PM

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 3:45 PM
BANNED

i really like that....however, reminds me of something..can't quite put my finger on it..oh...

toucharcade.com

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 4:31 PM
you know where I'll be

Maggie Daley Park, Mystery Facade, City Hyde Park, 545 McClurg

On Maggie Daley Park - it has been a rare treat watching this park come together over the course of this year especially, from above. I am super excited to have this thing finished. I think it's going to be a superb public space when all is said and done. What is the expected date for 100% completion, does anyone know?

^ No question, City Hyde Park is going to be fantastic - this has to be in my top 5 as far as pieces of new architecture now under construction in the city.

However, I'm not so sure that facade is for it.....it could be......however, looks somewhat different from the renderings, and also - why would it be stored here on this lot that Golub owns?

I think there could still be a chance that it might just be for 545 McClurg......could very well be wrong, and indeed it does certainly look darker than the renderings we have seen......but I wouldn't necessarily exclude that possibility completely at the moment.

Speaking of 545 McClurg, there is a rendering right now on Crains's (chicagorealestatedaily.com) that was new to me (I don't think we've seen this one at all previously).......it's in their latest photo gallery - this one a sampling (just a sampling, as they highlight, as there are many significant projects that are missing) of renderings of new apartment towers that are scheduled for mostly 2015-2016 delivery.............it is darker glass apparently at least from the rendering.....however it does still appear as dark blue to me, not black as the facade piece parked in the South Loop..........

Actually - speaking of the new rendering - I just have seen Sentinel's post in the high-rise thread - apparently Curbed has just picked up on the new rendering posted on Crain's as well.....

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
However, I'm not so sure that facade is for it.....it could be......however, looks somewhat different from the renderings, and also - why would it be stored here on this lot that Golub owns?
It's been there for nearly 2 months, and it was assembled on site. Presumably it's a test and not simply storage.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 6:39 PM
you know where I'll be

^ That was a poor choice of words on my part - however, the point central to my question remains - if this is for City Hyde Park - or for that matter any other project that has nothing to do with Golub (and/or Sandz for that matter), why would it be tested on this lot that Golub owns?

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:21 PM

Looks like a pretty big fire in the west loop/west side.

My own pic:

From twitter:

Not really development-germain but could be relevant. Whenever I see smoke I try to google what it might be, but the fact that "Chicago Fire" is a TV show, a soccer team, and a historical event really mucks up the search results.

edit: details: http://www.chicagofiremap.net/2014/1...ce=twitterfeed

Quote:
CHICAGO FIRE DEPARTMENT
COMMERCIAL BUILDING FIRE/2-11/WORKING FIRE
4618 W HURON ST CHICAGO, IL

REPORT OF A FIRE IN A MANUFACTURING BUILDING.

T29 REPORTS A LOT OF BLACK SMOKE OVER THEIR, AND BC13 ORDERS A WORKING FIRE RESPONSE.

T29 CREW ON ARRIVAL REPORTS A 1 1/2-STORY BRICK BUILDING -- LOOKS LIKE A TRUSS ROOF.

Old Posted Oct 22, 2014, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ That was a poor choice of words on my part - however, the point central to my question remains - if this is for City Hyde Park - or for that matter any other project that has nothing to do with Golub (and/or Sandz for that matter), why would it be tested on this lot that Golub owns?
My theory would be that there is nowhere in Hyde Park to set something like this up where it wouldn't be at risk of having rocks thrown at it by bored teenagers (think the metal plates you see on construction equipment windows). I don't know why it would be on Golub's property though. My only thought is that someone at Golub is friends with someone at Antheus. The developer community is pretty small and stories like the Hines-O'Donnell drama are the exception rather than the rule. If you aren't directly competing with someone then I don't see any reason why you wouldn't rent them space to set up a facade test for a couple of months.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 2:03 AM
TL;DR

Far more likely that the mockup is for Golub's Streeterville project and we have simply seen a misleading rendering showing bluish glass.

Alternatively, maybe the glass on the mockup is actually bluish but the photo was bad and/or there is some kind of solar film on the glass.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 3:53 AM

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jibba View Post
Not good news. Well maybe it could be good news if the buildings are rehabbed but the disaster area the corridor is I'm losing hope. Actually, Dayton & Blackhawk is a decent urban intersection. Shame if it will get ruined

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 4:28 PM

Talk about overkill. New 8 unit building at Wisconsin & Orleans - 21 parking spaces..

Old Posted Oct 23, 2014, 10:02 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
Talk about overkill. New 8 unit building at Wisconsin & Orleans - 21 parking spaces..
This is a luxury Belgravia project where the massive units start at $1.8M. The parking ratio is huge but I can't expect anything different. These are replacements for a single-family home in Lakeview or West Lincoln Park, where the price and parking ratio would be about the same but you wouldn't be a block away from the park.

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 2:04 AM
MPLSXCHI

http://www.smh.com.au/business/prope...21-118oby.html

[QUOTE]In April this year, Lend Lease unveiled an agreement to reduce its co-investment in the International Towers Sydney Trust from 25 per cent to 15 per cent via a sale to international pension fund APG.
"Also in April 2014, the company announced that the Lend Lease group will commence the development and funding of 100 per cent of the Barangaroo South commercial building known as Tower 1, via existing capital sources. The development activities in relation to the Barangaroo South development, including Tower 1, are managed by a subsidiary of the company," the notice of meeting says.
This was also supported by Mr McCann at the recent investor day where he said a key focus of the group remains on securing further large-scale urban redevelopments, with cash coming from the sale of existing projects.

Looks like Lend Lease looking for funding in there future projects maybe even there future Chicago one?

On Bidclerk 1001S State is listed to have a hotel with it.....

Old Posted Oct 24, 2014, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchymunch View Post
On Bidclerk 1001S State is listed to have a hotel with it.....
wha?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development