HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 8:40 PM

Soon, the ex-urbs (fringes of downtowns) and downtowns themselves are the only areas that will hold onto their value or increase it.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Soon, the ex-urbs (fringes of downtowns) and downtowns themselves are the only areas that will hold onto their value or increase it.
Perhaps that would be true if oil stayed strong, but this recent drop (sub $80) from the summer highs ($147) have put all those who thought twice about driving their cars in the summer back squarely in the drivers seat on their way to the suburbs........

Old Posted Oct 10, 2008, 10:38 PM

Well the story's not over yet! Supply of oil hasn't gone up, demand has simply diminished. This is a precursor to some very troubling times...

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 2:08 AM
Closed account

the price of oil's dropped but in the meantime the economy's gone in the sh*tter. it's a wash.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 2:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam View Post
Well the story's not over yet! Supply of oil hasn't gone up, demand has simply diminished. This is a precursor to some very troubling times...
Do you really believe demand has diminished that much? I don't think demand has changed much. What I think (and said as much in June -July) the oil market fundamentals didn't change (supply or demand), but oil traders created a bubble that had an impact on what's happening in the market today.

They made 100's of millions and then let the stock market swing in the wind. Still all those who used to complain about $90 fills in July, are now talking about how cheap gas is at $60 fills, as they drive like it's 2007......

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 2:59 AM
Closed account

actually, you'd be surprised to see the numbers on how much demand for oil has dropped this year, with an even bigger drop projected next year.
The OPEC guys are planning to cut production now in order to prevent the price from really dropping.
As Hubert's Peak explains, this is what happens as we live in peak oil. Lots of ups and downs.

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 3:10 AM

Businesses are closing down, that means less trucks on the road, less commuters on the roads, etc, etc, etc!

Old Posted Oct 11, 2008, 1:12 PM
Closed account

we're such a gross, wasteful society. People can cut back on oil use and hardly even notice a change in their day to day operations at home or business.
And yes, transit use is up. Businesses are closing down like crazy in the US etc....

Old Posted Oct 22, 2008, 5:10 AM
Needs more coffee...

My husband and I just started looking for places a couple months ago (we're in a very nice rental, and no rush to move) --- I'm not hoping for any huge drop in prices except for the market being slower in the winter. It would be nice if some of this market stuff translated into a better deal at the right time, though.

I'm impressed by what we've seen so far, though... perhaps coming from Toronto is a big part of that. I've always wanted to get an old house and redo it well... here that's a realistic possibility.

It also solidifies that we'll definitely be staying in Hamilton over the long-term, which I'm all for... and when it comes eventual time to sell, I'm sure it'll pay off.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 2:43 PM
Closed account

anyone seen this 'new' MLS website??
Wow. Another organization that botches up a perfectly fine site.
I'm unable to search for any homes in Hamilton now.
I used to check on Hamilton Centre and West all the time. Now the site just acts all crazy with maps opening and closing, or telling me that I've found 200,000+ homes and need to refine my search.
Brutal.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 2:54 PM
Needs more coffee...

Quote:
Originally Posted by raisethehammer View Post
I used to check on Hamilton Centre and West all the time. Now the site just acts all crazy with maps opening and closing, or telling me that I've found 200,000+ homes and need to refine my search.
Brutal.
Bookmarking it in Firefox with some of the parameters already in helps.

It doesn't save completely (still needs a couple tweaks to get a good look at the lower city) but you don't have to go through eighteen different steps to get there like it does from the beginning.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 2:55 PM
Closed account

I'm using Safari and it won't even open the maps...the screen just goes crazy.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 2:56 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Quote:
I'm using Safari and it won't even open the maps...the screen just goes crazy.
which version? 2 or 3?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 4:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Brutal.
Try clicking the advance search on the top of the page. And I agree I don't like this new layout either.

Did anyone see that house on mls in Ancaster that has to be moved? It's a huge house and sure would be a challenge moving it. They are asking $15,900 for the house only. I wonder how much it would cost to move a house?

Last edited by MsMe; Oct 31, 2008 at 4:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 4:16 PM

I saw it a few weeks ago and immediately hated it. I think it's human nature not to like change.

I agree intuitiveness is lacking with the new site, but after playing around a little bit I figured a few things out and got used to the new version. Now I think it's way better than the last version. To be able to spatially locate the houses with information on a map is great.

As for the housing market in my neighbourhood it seems to be doing OK. Both sides of a semi being sold as a package (all rentals) on our street sold after a price reduction and I saw a house on Carrick with a sold sign the other night.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 4:21 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairHamilton View Post
I saw a house on Carrick with a sold sign the other night.
I hope it wasn't the Evelyn Dick house. That house of horrors was on Carrick.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 6:08 PM
Is now in Hamilton, eh

Funny...

I love the new format. I can set up zones of interest, in price brackets I can cope with, zeroing in on the map and save them or keep the link with my favourites/bookmarks. I can then check on those areas on interest also get to see instantly where the houses are, without having to google maps where every street is (not knowing the city as well as some). Much happier with it.

It's only downside is that some of the houses I've seen with boards outside aren't on it.

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMe View Post
I hope it wasn't the Evelyn Dick house. That house of horrors was on Carrick.
Not #32 which was Evelyn's house. I fear if it ever comes up For Sale my wife will force me to purchase it.

For some reason she has a fascination with the story, so if I ever go missing......

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 6:27 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by omro View Post
which version? 2 or 3?

Old Posted Oct 31, 2008, 6:28 PM
Closed account

I'm sure the new version is great...I just can't get it open.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy