HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 5:13 AM

B.C. gives Vancouver $1 million for proposed Chinese-Canadian museum

B.C. gives Vancouver $1 million for proposed Chinese-Canadian museum

BY STAFF THE CANADIAN PRESS
Posted November 8, 2019

The B.C. government is giving the City of Vancouver $1 million to help establish a Chinese-Canadian museum with the goal of creating hubs in other communities to share the history and experience of Chinese immigrants across the province.

The province says this so-called hub-and-spoke model is inspired by feedback from public meetings earlier this year.

George Chow, B.C.’s minister of state for trade, says people told him that stories need to be told throughout the province in order to highlight moments of significance in Chinese-Canadian history in the places where they happened.

The province says people also called for the museum to celebrate the importance of Chinese immigrants who helped build British Columbia, and to bridge history with contemporary culture.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6147557/b...nadian-museum/

Old Posted Nov 10, 2019, 11:32 PM

At least it's a better idea than that stupid UNESCO bid...

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 12:01 AM

There seems to be a lot of validity to establishing this museum, considering the historic contributions of Chinese people to the building of Vancouver, from the Chinese railway workers on up....
However, what about other groups? For example, in Seattle, where the largest "pioneer" immigrant group was the Scandinavians, there is a Nordic Museum.
After World War II, and before, many Germans came to BC and worked hard to help build out the economy here. I'm not saying that there should necessarily be a German History museum here.
What I am saying is that, as mentioned in the news film clip, there was mentioned a "gesture of reconciliation," associated with the museum. OK, What about the Japanese?
During the WW II, Japanese people had their property confiscated and were sent to live in camps in places in the BC Interior, such as Vernon. What about a Japanese museum?
Or other groups that have played a significant role in our history? Does this only apply to groups who were discriminated against? Is this more a gesture of Political Correctness than history?
I think an examination of who we are honouring, why we are honouring them, and what heritage infrastructure we are building could be in order. A lot of nations played a role here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Nordic_Museum

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 3:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
What I am saying is that, as mentioned in the news film clip, there was mentioned a "gesture of reconciliation," associated with the museum. OK, What about the Japanese?
During the WW II, Japanese people had their property confiscated and were sent to live in camps in places in the BC Interior, such as Vernon. What about a Japanese museum?
https://centre.nikkeiplace.org/

In Burnaby, built with reparations paid

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsuo View Post
https://centre.nikkeiplace.org/

In Burnaby, built with reparations paid
I stand corrected.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 4:52 AM

I think the Chinese deserve a museum like this, they aren't just any group, they have shaped the province and especially Vancouver so profoundly, past and present, I think this is warranted over a German museum IMO

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zahav View Post
I think the Chinese deserve a museum like this, they aren't just any group, they have shaped the province and especially Vancouver so profoundly, past and present, I think this is warranted over a German museum IMO
I agree with you, but I wasn't specifically suggesting a German museum. As an example, I cited the link for the Nordic Museum in Seattle.
Maybe it is more appropriate, as they were the first major pioneering group in that area. Also, Americans seem to celebrate their history and heritage more than Canadians do.
But it does not fit into the "politically correct" mold, which often seems a pre-requisite in Canada for anything similar.
The Chinese museum certainly will reflect their major influence here, which is very appropriate to do.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 5:02 AM

The Chinese have had a major impact on Vancouver's history so I don't have a problem with it. The joke is the $1 million................it's more insulting than anything else.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 6:07 AM

The point of the museum is to "save" Chinatown by bringing in foot traffic and gaining political clout to keep out the hipsters and yuppies and developers "destroying" the community; it's like how they tried applying for World Heritage status, except that this is actually a somewhat decent idea. There isn't exactly a Germantown full of outspoken German-Canadian activists in Metro Vancouver.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Migrant_Coconut View Post
The point of the museum is to "save" Chinatown by bringing in foot traffic and gaining political clout to keep out the hipsters and yuppies and developers "destroying" the community; it's like how they tried applying for World Heritage status, except that this is actually a somewhat decent idea. There isn't exactly a Germantown full of outspoken German-Canadian activists in Metro Vancouver.
.... ah! To save Chinatown. That puts it all into perspective, thank you. Yes, Vancouver's Chinatown is indeed historic, and wonderful. I'm so glad that it is the object of this project.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2019, 5:30 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Germantown is in the interior, I have family there.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misher View Post
Germantown is in the interior, I have family there.
But not in the Lower Mainland, where we'd think about setting up a museum for it. I have no doubt that there's all kinds of towns beyond the Coast Mountains.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:43 AM

I would go see the museum if they have an awesome WW2 and Canadian Pacific Railway section. But what can you really do with a million dollars these days? It's like Dr Evil's demand of the same amount only to be laughed at.

Since it's Remembrance Day today:
https://thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/e...s-of-force-136

Pseudo-slavery of the CPR railway construction:
https://www.library.ubc.ca/chineseinbc/railways.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
.... ah! To save Chinatown. That puts it all into perspective, thank you. Yes, Vancouver's Chinatown is indeed historic, and wonderful. I'm so glad that it is the object of this project.
Vancouver's Chinatown is essentially on its death throes. The scourge of DTES and Chinatown's own ethnic chauvinism of wanting to make the area only exclusive to the Chinese community by rejecting all kinds of renewals or developments have essentially strangled this once vibrant neighbourhood from its potential. I find that the museum is a desperate attempt to resuscitate an already dead horse. The problem about the City of Vancouver is that we are only good at applying bandaid solutions such as implementing a heritage museum (which is itself unoriginal) in a badly scarred neighbourhood fast losing its residents, businesses and tourists when so much more could've been done earlier.

Maybe many of you do not realize that smaller municipalities like North Vancouver, Port Moody and New Westminster have pocket museums, some housed in large podium buildings that were built a few years back.

New West's Anvil Museum:
https://anvilcentre.com/be-in-the-lo...w-westminster/

City of North Van's Polygon Gallery:
https://thepolygon.ca/

Last edited by Vin; Nov 12, 2019 at 3:58 AM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 5:03 AM

Coquitlam has Mackin House and Museum celebrating the French culture that settled in the area.

Port Coquitlam has a heritage museum as well.

Port Moody has the station museum for the railways.

Burnaby has Heritage Village and Museum.

Richmond has Steveston Village Museum, Brittania Museum and the Cannery museum etc.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Coquitlam has Mackin House and Museum celebrating the French culture that settled in the area.

Port Coquitlam has a heritage museum as well.

Port Moody has the station museum for the railways.

Burnaby has Heritage Village and Museum.

Richmond has Steveston Village Museum, Brittania Museum and the Cannery museum etc.
Yes, I've been to a few of those, and they are awesome but totally underrated. I read about the Port Moody station museum back in the summer and wanted to go, but thought it was too small to make the trip. Even smaller BC towns have really cute museums, such as the Desert Model Railway Museum of Osoyoos. Problem is these are all too spread out over the Lower Mainland and Province to get the general tourists or visitors to go, as the case of myself. And here we have a compact downtown Vancouver that is perfect for places of interest to be established, especially around Canada Place, Gas town and Chinatown, but the City does nothing to promote or support groups to have small museums and places of interest to be established here (except for those from decades past, which are looking rather aged and boring now).

Last edited by Vin; Nov 12, 2019 at 8:11 PM.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:18 AM

Don't forget the Richmond Cultural Centre and the North Vancouver Museum. Though given the average attendance and revenue of those other exhibitions (or lack thereof), the Chinatown community really shouldn't be getting their hopes up.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 3:53 PM

A million is a good start. There is several very deep pocketed Chinese/CAnadians that im sure will help boost that number up. They have had a huge impact on how our city and industries have been changed. From the rail road to the fish factories to land development and the city full of corner stores and our food culture

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 6:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cairnstone View Post
A million is a good start. There is several very deep pocketed Chinese/CAnadians that im sure will help boost that number up. They have had a huge impact on how our city and industries have been changed. From the rail road to the fish factories to land development and the city full of corner stores and our food culture
Sure, if there's a whole section for Li Ka-shing and the Hong Kong crowd which'd get them to buy in; Chinatown on its own has trouble just paying rent and staying in business.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Sure, if there's a whole section for Li Ka-shing and the Hong Kong crowd which'd get them to buy in; Chinatown on its own has trouble just paying rent and staying in business.
That is uncalled for. There are many Chinese here that are proud Canadians that still are involve in the community.

Li Ka-shing is so far removed from anything related to Vancouver. If anyone that had a mark on just the development side that title would go to Stanley Kwok.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2019, 7:39 PM

Quote:
There are many Chinese here that are proud Canadians that still are involve in the community.
Absolutely, but the rich immigrants tend to be the new arrivals (80s-onwards) from HK and the PRC, many of which are not involved at all. They have every right to not do so - just don't count on them making a donation just because they and Chinatown are technically both ethnic Chinese. It's like the difference between French and Quebecois or Irish and Irish-American.

The families that helped shape the country and eventually integrated? Generally, they didn't and/or still don't have much investing power.

Quote:
Li Ka-shing is so far removed from anything related to Vancouver. If anyone that had a mark on just the development side that title would go to Stanley Kwok.
Stanley Kwok was a big one too, but he wasn't the one who built Yaletown. While we're at it, Bing Thom should also get a mention.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Arts, Culture & Entertainment