HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction


One Chicago Square in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2501  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 9:54 PM
pianowizard pianowizard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Michigan, US
Posts: 499
Already quite imposing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Nov 3

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2502  
Old Posted Nov 13, 2020, 11:25 PM
KWillChicago's Avatar
KWillChicago KWillChicago is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,041
Holy hell yes it is. And that's only a little more than halfway, right?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2503  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 11:48 AM
dropdeaded209's Avatar
dropdeaded209 dropdeaded209 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Berlin
Posts: 358
what's the metal cladding? silver-grey painted (anodized?) aluminum panels?
__________________
Director of Starship Chicago and The Absent Column

"Helmut Jahn has never suffered a failure of nerve."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2504  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 2:11 PM
vexxed82's Avatar
vexxed82 vexxed82 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Joe View Post


photos like this from you, Harry, and everyone else are why this forum rocks. thanks all
Thanks for the love from you (and everyone else) your support over the years is part of what kept me doing this, and what's helped me turn it into a career.

Sidenote, I did't get photos of it from ground level, but were fins going up on the north side of the podium's glass "box" so I suspect there will be more detail than earlier progress photos suggested
__________________
Nick Ulivieri | instagram | twitter | Facebook
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2505  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2020, 4:21 PM
Bombardier Bombardier is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 387
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 View Post
what's the metal cladding? silver-grey painted (anodized?) aluminum panels?
Painted aluminum. The color is actually bronze.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2506  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2020, 11:21 PM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,618
11/17/20



11/18/20



__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2507  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2020, 12:22 AM
kolchak's Avatar
kolchak kolchak is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 718
Great shots of the new streetwalls Bvic!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2508  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2020, 6:24 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,823
Nov 14







Fins !


__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2509  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:28 AM
Chicagolover88 Chicagolover88 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 55
The tan building in the front 3rd picture is so ugly hopefully they can tear it down and build a better apartment high-rise
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2510  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:44 AM
The Lurker The Lurker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Great Lakes
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagolover88 View Post
The tan building in the front 3rd picture is so ugly hopefully they can tear it down and build a better apartment high-rise
^Asbury Park. Its like the Pontiac Aztek of highrise buildings.
__________________
I voted for Pedro
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2511  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 3:46 AM
kingkirbythe....'s Avatar
kingkirbythe.... kingkirbythe.... is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 590
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lurker View Post
^Asbury Park. Its like the Pontiac Aztek of highrise buildings.
Winner!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2512  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 7:36 AM
Toasty Joe Toasty Joe is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: Wicker Park, Chicago, IL
Posts: 69
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2513  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 2:19 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 19,358
I'd even be willing to see Asbury Park's tower remain, but that God-awful garage facing Chicago Ave is just way outdated. It was obviously built in a completely different era, but if I were the owner of that complex I would look at doing something with that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2514  
Old Posted Nov 21, 2020, 6:05 PM
ardecila's Avatar
ardecila ardecila is offline
TL;DR
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: the city o'wind
Posts: 14,469
Asbury Plaza is all rentals, so it could happen if they get a new owner who wants to add value.
__________________
la forme d'une ville change plus vite, hélas! que le coeur d'un mortel...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2515  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 6:56 AM
Northwest Northwest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago
Posts: 411
Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post
Nov 14

Its just so bad. I'd imagine the forces of time and economics will eventually lead to a gut rehab and re-clad of the tower, and demolition of the garage.
I know Harry posted some closeup pics of the cladding, and its already looking sad and precursor to unsafe.
The turd can be redeemed, and the freed up garage land will will be oh so valuable.
One Chicago looks great, and will be a force to redevelop the things around it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2516  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 4:31 PM
chicubs111 chicubs111 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,109
any chance ashbury plaza could go full demo when/if the economics make sense? Rarely see buildings of this size demoed but not impossible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2517  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 5:05 PM
Ned.B Ned.B is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northwest View Post
Its just so bad. I'd imagine the forces of time and economics will eventually lead to a gut rehab and re-clad of the tower, and demolition of the garage.
I know Harry posted some closeup pics of the cladding, and its already looking sad and precursor to unsafe.
The turd can be redeemed, and the freed up garage land will will be oh so valuable.
One Chicago looks great, and will be a force to redevelop the things around it.
I am fairly certain that Asbury Plaza is not clad in anything and that is exposed structural concrete. I think building is all structural shear walls with very few or no structural columns. As such it would be very difficult to add anymore than add a few additional windows and overclad the building as a giant aluminum box or fake glass box. Neither of those seem likely because I doubt the expense would justify any minor increase in desirability or rents. I think a full demolition will be unlikely unless it's replacement is on the scale of One Chicago Square.

My guess is as long as there are renters out there who don't mind the building's appearance and don't care that their unit has only 1, 2, or 3 windows, or property values in Chicago become great enough to purchase a large perfectly viable, and bunker like concrete building and then tear it down, that Asbury isn't going away for some time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2518  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 5:43 PM
jpIllInoIs's Avatar
jpIllInoIs jpIllInoIs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 1,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicubs111 View Post
any chance ashbury plaza could go full demo when/if the economics make sense? Rarely see buildings of this size demoed but not impossible.
A percentage of Asbury Plaza is Sec 8 also. Those units would have to be replaced. I have been inside, they are small but efficient. The Google reviews are solid 4.3/5 from tenants. Tenants rave about staff/mngmnt. Complain about noise, esp "construction across the street", hehe. Many comments on the newish and updated units and current balcony repair program. I just dont see this going away.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2519  
Old Posted Nov 22, 2020, 8:06 PM
harryc's Avatar
harryc harryc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Oak Park, Il
Posts: 13,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned.B View Post
I am fairly certain that Asbury Plaza is not clad in anything and that is exposed structural concrete. I think building is all structural shear walls with very few or no structural columns. As such it would be very difficult to add anymore than add a few additional windows and overclad the building as a giant aluminum box or fake glass box. Neither of those seem likely because I doubt the expense would justify any minor increase in desirability or rents. I think a full demolition will be unlikely unless it's replacement is on the scale of One Chicago Square.

My guess is as long as there are renters out there who don't mind the building's appearance and don't care that their unit has only 1, 2, or 3 windows, or property values in Chicago become great enough to purchase a large perfectly viable, and bunker like concrete building and then tear it down, that Asbury isn't going away for some time.
not to get too far off on the ugly 2 of the 5 neignbors ......

Asbury Plaza - not sure what this is.
__________________
Harry C --- Chicago rep for SkyRise Cities ---- My Flickr stream HRC_OakPark
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either. B Franklin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2520  
Old Posted Nov 23, 2020, 3:10 AM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 9,618
11/17/20

__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:43 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.