HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 3:11 PM

PHILADELPHIA | 33 N. 22nd Street | 316 FT | 29 FLOORS

A building? Fronting JFK Boulevard? Insanity!

Title: 33 N. 22nd Street
Project: Residential
Architect: Solomon Cordwell Buenz
Developer: PMC Property Group
Neighborhood: Center City West (Market West)
District: Center City
Floors: 29 Floors
Height: 316 FT

341-Unit Tower Proposed on Trader Joe’s Parking Lot
Quote:
You’ve probably queued up waiting to get into the Trader Joe’s parking lot on 22nd St. Lately, you’ve probably waited in line again to get into the supermarket, and then again to check out. It seems like Trader Joe’s is constantly busy, slinging fresh produce, tasty snacks, and frozen products to the masses. The store at 22nd and Market proved to be so successful that the chain recently opened a second location in the city near the convention center. Or, did they open it in anticipation of their business at the original location being interrupted in the near future?

The 32,616 square foot, CMX-5 zoned parking lot behind Trader Joe’s at 33 N. 22nd St. has always seemed like a prime development opportunity to us. Its surrounded by condo buildings and office towers, sits along the trolley line, and is a short walk to 30th Street Station. Three nearby mega surface lots are in various planning stages to be redeveloped. Although the parking lot may be convenient for grocery shoppers, the highest and best use of this land is not for the storage of vehicles and shopping carts.

A little less than a year ago, we saw some test boring taking place on the site and knew something was in the works for the parcel. Looks like we now have a good idea of what is planned. On September 1st, the owners will go before the Zoning Board of Adjustment (ZBA) seeking approval to build tower with 341 residential units on floors 7 through 29 and 248 car parking spaces within an accessory garage and on floors 0 through 6. The proposal also includes 114 bicycle spaces.
http://www.rising.realestate/341-uni...s-parking-lot/

CDR Submission

Last edited by summersm343; Oct 25, 2022 at 4:52 PM.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 6:53 PM

Love it. Build it!

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Love it. Build it!
Maybe TJ's will - gasp - have to put a door - gasp - on MARKET STREET!

Old Posted Jul 30, 2020, 11:14 AM

nice

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 3:24 AM

Nice project. Love the idea of interjecting life to this stretch of JFK. As the area around 30th becomes more developed, this is area is going to get a lot more foot traffic.

That garage next door is a damn shame, wish someone had the foresight to leave a bit more room between it and JFK to leave a small developable plot there for a building that could have masked it. How much room between the sidewalk and the garage now? 15 feet? Don't think they would have had to have lost too many parking spots to have an eventually valuable piece of land.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 8:15 PM

^I've always been irked by the Murano using JFK as a back alley (without even putting a garage entrance/exit there). Nothing to be done about it for the time being, but maybe some sort of screen/plantings to obscure the garage for pedestrians? There seems to be room for that. Short of demolishing the garage and starting over, a simple aesthetic improvement would go a long way.

Old Posted Jul 31, 2020, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^I've always been irked by the Murano using JFK as a back alley (without even putting a garage entrance/exit there). Nothing to be done about it for the time being, but maybe some sort of screen/plantings to obscure the garage for pedestrians? There seems to be room for that. Short of demolishing the garage and starting over, a simple aesthetic improvement would go a long way.
Never been in the garage before, but if there are no ramps on the north side of the garage it could by possible to lose 10 feet or so and keep the rest of the garage intact or even just build it out and convert some of the garage space. If there are ramps on the north side this obviously would be impossible.

Both options would be much more feasible than complete demolition, but I agree nothing will likely change for a while either way so some type of beautification project is probably the best we could do for now.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 3:52 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I was hoping for a bigger Trader Joe's...

Personally, I would give them all the parking space they could ever dream of if they tripled the space that TJ's occupies.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Aug 1, 2020, 6:44 AM
Philly Pholly

I really am liking this tower. Tho another blue glass tower it has nice surface manipulation. I like how it opens up to JFK Boulevard. I would rather it have a JFK Boulevard address... 2130 JFK Boulevard?

I must say how relieved I am to see proposals keep rolling in even with this pandemic. It gives me a glimmer of hope that we'll be alright!

Philadelphia -33 N 22nd Street

Last edited by SEFTA; Aug 1, 2020 at 12:41 PM.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 10:37 PM
build awesome buildings

there is a slight redesign of the base per the latest CDR agenda: https://www.phila.gov/media/20200901...reet-CDR-1.pdf

I really like the addition of the porcelain panels and think it makes the whole thing look more elegant. Hooray for positive design changes made after non-binding feedback!

Old Posted Sep 8, 2020, 3:22 PM
Ridin' into the sunset

This is great, and really like the redesigned base.
"Then each time Fleetwood would be not so much overcome by remorse as bedazzled at having been shown the secret backlands of wealth, and how sooner or later it depended on some act of murder, seldom limited to once."

Against the Day, Thomas Pynchon

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 1:59 AM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

I just realized, there is no public access whatsoever between JFK and 22nd St in this proposal. That seems like a rather hefty oversight.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Sep 10, 2020, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
I just realized, there is no public access whatsoever between JFK and 22nd St in this proposal. That seems like a rather hefty oversight.
Actually, there already exists a stairwell across JFK.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2020, 7:43 PM

Quote:
For the erection of an attached structure (with a roof deck above the 6th story roof accessed from the 7th floor, and with balconies at the 7th-29th floors), size and location as shown on plan/application. For use of Multi-Family Household Living (Three-Hundred-And-Forty-One (341) Dwelling Units) at the 7th through 29th floors, with accessory garage parking (One-Hundred-And-Three (103) spaces, including eight (8) van-accessible spaces, and twenty-six (26) compact spaces) and non-accessory structured parking (One-Hundred-And-Forty-Five (145) Spaces) at the basement through 6th floors, Class 1A Bicycle Parking (One-Hundred-And-Fourteen (114) Spaces, located along an accessible route), and two (2) Off-Street Loading Spaces (size of 2nd space reduced as per PCPC waiver and 14-806(4)(a)).
https://atlas.phila.gov/33%20N%2022ND%20ST/zoning

This went before the ZBA on October 7. Anyone know which way the gavel fell? The link on Atlas is broken.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2020, 4:41 PM
Philly Pholly

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 3:04 PM
PHL

Is it normal for CDRs to not have page numbers or is this one just annoying? lol.

Awesome project though, and pretty substantial for a parking lot that honestly wasn't even on my radar. Not sure how I missed this thread in July!

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 8:21 AM

This was also issued Saturday

COMMERCIAL BUILDING Permit: CP-2020-004814
ISSUED

Quote:
NEW CONSTRUCTION OF A 30 STORY HIGH-RISE STRUCTURE FOR USE AS THREE HUNDRED FORTY-ONE (341) DWELLING UNITS WITH ACCESSORY AMENITY SPACES AND ACCESSORY & NON-ACCESSORY PARKING GARAGE AS PER APPROVED PLANS

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 3:28 PM

Love this design.

We have another 30 story building going up in Philadelphia which seems to be a trend. How many buildings are being built between 20-35 floors in the city now? This has to be a record!

I see 29 floors; I see 30 floors; with mechanical floors do we see even more! Love this design.

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 4:29 PM

forgot all about this one

Old Posted Nov 23, 2021, 5:42 PM

How coincidental: I was just thinking about this building and 2301 JFK over the weekend! Hopefully, construction of both buildings will begin soon. These will be two of the most beautiful, well-designed buildings in the city upon completion!

Between these two buildings, Cathedral Square II, Riverwalk, The Laurel, and 2222 Market, it seems like the standards for highrise design in Center City west of Market have risen sharply recently!

Temple University '18 ']['

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals