HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 22, 2020, 1:50 PM

WICHITA | Riverwalk Hotel | FT | 40+ FLOORS | ON HOLD

Yes, you read the title right. Wichita, KS just announced a 40+ story hotel tower in downtown Wichita as part of a much larger development which a private development group has said they would completely finance themselves.

This was just proposed or released yesterday and sounds exciting to a lot of people, but what really caught everyone's attention is the 40 story hotel tower they want to build which would become the tallest building in not only Wichita, but also in the state of Kansas. Currently, the tallest one is in downtown Wichita and sadly it's just 325ft at 22 stories. There is currently a high rise under construction in downtown Wichita, but will only be 12 stories when completed.

Here's a link to the story:

http://www.kake.com/story/41770923/c...rst-skyscraper

Old Posted Feb 24, 2020, 4:16 PM
All man. Half nuts.

that's great news for Wichita!

according to the article, this could easily be a 600-footer:

Quote:
Just for some perspective, the Epic Center is currently the tallest building in Kansas, standing 320 feet and 22 stories tall. The proposed hotel would nearly double that.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 4:23 AM
FYHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defiant6 View Post
Yes, you read the title right. Wichita, KS just announced a 40+ story hotel tower in downtown Wichita as part of a much larger development which a private development group has said they would completely finance themselves.

This was just proposed or released yesterday and sounds exciting to a lot of people, but what really caught everyone's attention is the 40 story hotel tower they want to build which would become the tallest building in not only Wichita, but also in the state of Kansas. Currently, the tallest one is in downtown Wichita and sadly it's just 325ft at 22 stories. There is currently a high rise under construction in downtown Wichita, but will only be 12 stories when completed.

Here's a link to the story:

http://www.kake.com/story/41770923/c...rst-skyscraper
Technically the Epic Center is a skyscraper - the 325 foot figure comes from the top completely built out floor, which is at the bottom of the building's distinctive sloped roof. There is a 23rd level of sorts where a fair amount of cell communication & dispatch radio equipment is located, including the system for Sedgwick County dispatch. Beyond that small area the structure is hollow and home to a highly inclined set of metal stairs that gets you to the roof. That point is about '385 up.

I once worked with an engineer that used the site for a low power television station in town, and the 15-foot antenna they used was just at the tip of the structure and the signal tests that were conducted put it at '400 above street level. This is where the '385 total height figure comes from.

For what it's worth, also, Fidelity's 10-story building isn't under construction yet. Their parking garage is though. I think the office building is a year or two off.

Regarding this project... I'm interested in seeing what the people from the Riverfront Legacy plan have to say. It almost completely upends the plans to retain a performing arts hall downtown, but I'm sure there's more to come.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2020, 5:25 AM
Back from the dead

Wait...there's nothing on the Kansas side of Kansas City that isn't taller than 325 feet? That is a surprise.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 10:44 PM

The company that is going to be building this 40+ story hotel is doing renders with their architect. I contacted them and tnis is what they told me. They also told me there should be more info in October. The observation ferris wheel is going to rival all others in North America and will likely be at least as tall as the observation ferris wheel in Vegas which is 550 feet tall. I think the building will be just as tall as the observation ferris wheel. Here is some info on the project. https://www.penumbrariverwalk.com/ I hope this project will be happening very soon for Wichita does need it.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocket View Post
Wait...there's nothing on the Kansas side of Kansas City that isn't taller than 325 feet? That is a surprise.
Also the Epic Center is nearly 400 feet tall to the tip. This new 40+ story hotel could be as much as 200 feet taller than the Epic Center.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:20 AM

It's a big development, but I think something like this can happen once the economy rebounds.

A 500 room hotel would attract conferences in that region of the country along with the visitors to the other attractions in that part of the country.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 1:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. View Post
It's a big development, but I think something like this can happen once the economy rebounds.

A 500 room hotel would attract conferences in that region of the country along with the visitors to the other attractions in that part of the country.
It is in the making. I asked the person who presented this project to the city if all of these things would be up in the next 5 years and he said for sure. I have been waiting for the past 10 years wanting Wichita to do something like this.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 11:44 PM

The company should be unveiling their renderings in October or November. Why I don't know exactly what that means but does that make it closer to being proposed to the city and groundbreaking?

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:26 AM

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:34 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Moved your post Shakespeare. You accidently placed it in an NY thread lol.

On a side note, great news for Wichita.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Moved your post Shakespeare. You accidently placed it in an NY thread lol.

On a side note, great news for Wichita.
Well Thank You I hope this ends up for the best.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post

I hope it does end up close or around a 600 footer.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post

I hope this does end up being around a 600 footer.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 4:41 AM

https://www.google.com/search?q=penu...Mr4_c9HkZju7EM

The picture of the building is gold colored and has a triangular roof.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2020, 12:27 AM

Here are some interesting facts on states and cities with taller buildings surrounding Wichita. Also population is given.

1. Oklahoma City, OK. Population 649K, tallest building is 50 stories and 844 feet tall.
2. Tulsa, OK. Population 401K, tallest building is 52 stories and 667 feet tall.
3. Des Moines, IA. Population 217K, tallest building is 45 stories and 630 feet tall.
4. Omaha, NE. Population 461K, tallest building is 45 stories and 633 feet tall.
5. Kansas City, MO. Population 491K, tallest building is 42 stories and 624 feet to the roof and 654 feet to tip
6. Denver, CO. Pop 692K, tallest building is 56 stories and 714 feet tall.

Here is Wichita. Population is 389K, tallest building is 22-24 stories and 385 feet tall. If you include the antenna it is probably closer to 400 feet.

This was sent to the company building this project and are discussing this with their architect.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 5:06 PM

This project is on hold. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2021, 11:50 PM

Well this project is back! It may not be as big as I would like it to be but there is going to be a rooftop restaurant and a huge ferris wheel probably around 400 feet tall.. The spire on the spider will very like exceed 500 feet. https://www.penumbrariverwalk.com/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 12:05 AM

Here is some more info. The spire could even exceed 600 feet in height.https://www.ksn.com/news/local/penum...at-it-entails/

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 2:33 AM

I got word back from the architect that the spire on that one structure is going to reach an incredible 900 feet.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive