Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
Actually, no, it's not just him. Although I wouldn't say it is as big of a deal as others have stated. There was the whole glass backup, which was a huge deal and definitely was a big headache for them (I forget exactly how long it took but I believe it was more than 6 months). Secondly, Wanda backed out of the project, leaving them to find a new hotel to fill the space. They had a fire towards the bottom of the tower (this wasn't too much of a problem though). Furthermore they've had pretty slow sales (hovering around 30-40% for what seems like forever, even before Covid). So, I would say that the evidence points to this building definitely being a serious headache for Magellan but I do believe they will eventually overcome all of these. Now to the question of Vista's profitability, anyone can guess. I would say it's definitely not just lakeshoredrive though.
This is a 101 storey building. . . I can see it from my house. . . I've watched this thing every day from planning, groundbreaking to where it is today and none of the problems they've encountered (physical / economical or otherwise) seem at all surprising. . . in fact I'm amazed that it's gone as smoothly as it has. . .

. . .

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 4:25 PM
Small but Mighty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom In Chicago View Post
This is a 101 storey building. . . I can see it from my house. . . I've watched this thing every day from planning, groundbreaking to where it is today and none of the problems they've encountered (physical / economical or otherwise) seem at all surprising. . . in fact I'm amazed that it's gone as smoothly as it has. . .

. . .
Yeah, I agree. Any supertall building has huge inherent risks for the developer. And Vista tower is no different from the problems that other supertalls have faced. In my opinion, that doesn't mean it wasn't still a big headache for them. I mean let's be honest, if you build a supertall you are going to run into a lot more problems than just a regular highrise. From what I've seen, this building hasn't gone nearly as smoothly as say One Chicago but it still should be finished just fine.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 4:31 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree View Post
Yeah, I agree. Any supertall building has huge inherent risks for the developer. And Vista tower is no different from the problems that other supertalls have faced. In my opinion, that doesn't mean it wasn't still a big headache for them. I mean let's be honest, if you build a supertall you are going to run into a lot more problems than just a regular highrise. From what I've seen, this building hasn't gone nearly as smoothly as say One Chicago but it still should be finished just fine.
That's because One Chicago, while gorgeous in it's own way is a much much simpler form. Not necessarily apples to apples..

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 5:41 PM

Projects like these take 4-5+ years from idea to finished product so there is always going to be risks assumed by the developer. Regarding the lawsuit, the Vista contract states "5 star hotel" and purposely do not include Wanda. If they did name the exact hotel operator and the Wanda chain failed within a few years after breaking ground, it would give grounds for every buyer to bail.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 5:51 PM
Plenary pleasures.

^Welcome to the forum

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 7:20 PM

Who cares what happens inside this building. It's done. It's There. It's not going anywhere. Once they get the glass buttoned up its over for me as far as I'm concerned. The skyscraper has been delivered.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 8:09 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Vista is glorious. Next step, Tribune Tower!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2020, 8:33 PM

I noticed this morning that the entrance canopy is almost done and there are 4 very tall flagpoles in front.

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 2:40 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Credit: Jassuakbar

Old Posted Sep 12, 2020, 7:36 PM

9/12/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWillChicago View Post
Harry, or anyone who makes this walk. I'm just wondering what the progress of the underpass from wacker to the LSE park is coming along. Any updated pics? I hope this is a good looker(roof with lighting) for a walk through.

Old Posted Sep 15, 2020, 3:30 PM

Few updates from Leila Zammatta's page on facebook, she works for Magellen I believe. Her page is filled with a treasure trove of videos from various units, lobby, entry way etc. Must watch for anyone who hasn't seen them.

- She mentioned in one of the videos today that the opening is set for end of Oct/Nov
- Glass is going up in the north west corner of the building, there are a couple of videos where she walks through a unit before the glass is put in and one after

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 9:24 PM
Ω

Aw, I thought the curvy part was going to be mirrors. Maybe I just made that up in my head.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 10:02 PM

Sept 8

Sept 14

Last edited by harryc; Sep 17, 2020 at 12:41 AM.

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 11:15 PM

That underpass does not under impress

Old Posted Sep 16, 2020, 11:19 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
That underpass does not under impress
Would love to see how it looks lit up

Old Posted Sep 17, 2020, 12:11 AM

^sexy shaped lady with the ass to follow at the bottom. Seems preplanned.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 12:21 AM

It looks like they are putting up glass on that last big section at or was that always there at the bottom

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 1:24 AM

balconies are looking pretty clean tbh

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 6:06 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryc View Post

^ Wow, this looks stunning--a stylish entry to an urban cave. I hope they do a good job with the lighting.

I look forward, some day, to a walk from the LSE park to the Riverwalk through this. Definitely a huge plus that building this was a part of the program.

For all of you people dissing Vista as some sort of failure by the developer, sure everything isn't perfect but Vista is a HUGE boost to this area. Not only for the tower and the (eventual) restaurant with that kick ass multi-story restaurant/viewing space that will be very popular in the post-Covid world, but also the infrastructure improvements. The north south road and pedestrian connections are a substantial upgrade to the cityscape.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Sep 18, 2020, 9:57 PM

I swear, from above, the vents are blue, I think they were installed upside down. Or need to be switched. The problem is, from below you are looking up into the vents, parallel to the slats, which are blue. From above, you only see the blue slats.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture