HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 2:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

you-are-here
Wilshire Professional Building, 3825 Wilshire

A similar view, circa 1932. http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co.../47656/rec/161

Manhattan Place

"Brown Derby? Turn left!"

Before autonomous cars. some used backup operators on the running board to make turn signals and offer directions.

Derby sign

Wilshire Methodist and E Clem Wilson in the background?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T View Post

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 2:25 AM

Glad you enjoyed the City Hall groundbreaking photographs t2.
__

Grace Kelly biking into the east gate of Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer Studios.

Hollywood-Kodachrome.Skyrocket.blogspot

That's the art deco Irving Thalberg Building in the background (just outside the east gate of MGM*)

The Thalberg Building in 1942 (architect Claude Beelman 1938-39)

http://www.thestudiotour.com/sonypictures/buildings.php

* Sony Studios has moved the east gate to Madison Avenue to encompass the Thalberg Building.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 30, 2015 at 2:37 AM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 3:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

I saw a documentary about the history of the Rose Parade and one of the floats they had in 1939 was an art deco streamlined locomotive. I wanted to post a photo of that for you train enthusiasts, but the Tournament of Roses photo site is down for repairs and I couldn't locate it anywhere else. I did find this photo of a 1940 float entry, though.

Pasdaena Public Library

Caption: 1940 Rose Parade -"Modern Transportation" was the entry of the
Brotherhood of Railway Clerks which won the theme prize. Special permission
was granted for the float to exceed the 40 ft. length limitation. The crew in
front of the locomotive and tender represents the six railroads participating.
The queen is Dorothy Mulligan the other five are unnamed.
Thanks, Martin Pal! The locomotive float in your 1940 photo above depicts one of the early Southern Pacific "Golden State" GS-2/GS-3 passenger engines used on the newly streamlined Coast Daylight. These are distinguished by a single headlight in the nose. Later classes had two headlights in the nose.

An interesting tidbit. These locomotives were equally at home hauling passengers or freight. During WWII the U.S government severely restricted the building of new passenger locomotives. So, when SP placed orders with Lima Locomotive Works, of Lima, Ohio for these locomotives during the years 1942 thru 1943 the GS designation was changed to indicate "General Service".

Cheers,
Jack

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 4:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Two early views of Los Angeles Railway street-cars that I came across this morning on eBay.

currently on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Phot...3D252035231818

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Phot...item3aae78704a

I wonder who the older gentleman is....their boss?

That looks like an old bed-spring on the front of the car (I just noticed there's one on the back as well)

below: "W. S. Service" is written on the reverse of both photographs.

eBay

Does W.S. Service ring a bell to anyone...HenryHuntington?......Wig-Wag?

__
Nice Find, ER!

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest Washington Street Service. Note that in your top photo both the front and side roof mounted destination boards have been blurred out.

Post cards of individual streetcars from this early period of Los Angeles Railway history are few and far between and were probably taken as LARY promotional pieces. Its to bad there are no dates on the the cards as that might lend credence to the information below.

My comments here stem from a paragraph in Interurbans Special No. 11, Los Angeles Railway. This is a History of LARY and its predecessor companies.
The paragraph notes that "In 1902 Los Angeles Held its La Fiesta, an early day rival to Pasadena's Rose Parade. To transport the crowds downtown to witness the flower-bedecked floats, service was run on all LARY lines lines." The list contains 17 lines, one of which is Washington Street.

If anyone can find a better answer, please post it!

P.S., the 'Basket" on the front of the car was an early safety device to scoop up errant pedestrians who stepped in front of a moving streetcar. Many traction companies used these, and those on LARY cars were not changed to the later "Lifeguard" type until the company was taken over by National City Lines and renamed Los Angeles Transit Lines (LATL).

See:The first two photos on this PE Historical Society page for a comparison of the two types. http://www.pacificelectric.org/categ...ailway/5-line/

The older Gent is probably the Paymaster.The others were probably the motorman and security.

Another thought occurred to me this morning. These may not be official postcards but rather snapshots from a postcard camera such as an Eastman Kodak 122A printed on heavy stock. This would account for the lack of information on the reverse. Also, additional research this morning finds that Car 189 in the top picture was acquired from the Pacific Electric and was built in 1899, coming to LARY in the the great merger of 1910. Does anyone know when Los Angeles held its last La Fiesta, as this dates the photo later than 1902? The 1910 merger resulted in the Pacific Electric coming under the control of the Southern Pacific Company and the city service lines going to Henry Huntington as Los Angeles Railway. Car 9000 in the lower photo was LARY's first Pay Car and was originally numbered 500. Employees entered the front door, collected their pay from the Paymaster and exited the rear door. This car was rebuilt as number 9000 in 1906 (which helps to date the photo but calls into question the WS Service on the reverse as it remained a Pay Car until dismantled in 1913. This was the only car of this type in LARY service. as a result of this mornings research I am inclined to suggest that WS stands for Work Service rather than Washington Street.

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Jul 30, 2015 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 1:28 PM

Quote:

The Thalberg Building in 1942 (architect Claude Beelman 1938-39)

http://www.thestudiotour.com/sonypictures/buildings.php

* Sony Studios has moved the east gate to Madison Avenue to encompass the Thalberg Building.
The Thalberg Building made a few appearances in later episodes of 'CHiPs'. Here's the main entrance playing the part of a hospital when the Getraers were expecting a baby.
Apologies for the quality of the screengrabs - these episodes aren't yet available on DVD.

MGM TV/Rosner TV

The Culver Boulevard side also played a hospital a couple of times, but here it's the LAPD.

MGM TV/Rosner TV

Culver Boulevard was wider in the '80s, with the street a lot closer to the building. On the opposite corner was this great 'MOTEL' sign.

MGM TV/Rosner TV

The motel building is still there, although now it's the Culver Madison Apartments, and the sign has gone.

GSV

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 3:09 PM

The Thalberg

One more screengrab of the back of the Thalberg, this time from 1988's "Naked Gun". (I love the flurry of open, metal-framed casements on the right):

itsfilmedthere

Working out his Moderne sensibilities, here's the 1935-37 Hollywood Post Office by Claud Beelman (with an assist from Allison and Allison) for the WPA
(Louis A Simon is listed as "Supervising Architect"):

gsv

...to compare with Beelman's much larger, but very similar, Thalberg Building (1938-39):

sonypictures.com

And finally, Rhett, Dimples, Andy and Mrs Norman Main skip out of the Thalberg:

judyandfriends

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 30, 2015 at 3:41 PM. Reason: correct date

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Culver Boulevard was wider in the '80s, with the street a lot closer to the building. On the opposite corner was this great 'MOTEL' sign.

MGM TV/Rosner TV

The motel building is still there, although now it's the Culver Madison Apartments, and the sign has gone.

GSV
I like this before and after Hoss. The motel was built in 1953, but I'm still searching for it's former name.

The large building down the street in your 1980s 'Chips' photograph is the old Culver City City Hall.(below)

http://www.culvercity.org/en/Visitor.../CityHall.aspx

http://www.culvercityhistoricalsocie...city-timeline/

Today all that's left of the original building is the front façade (some sites say it's a 3/4th sized replica).

gsv

http://www.culvercity.org/en/Visitor.../CityHall.aspx

I've outlined in red the old footprint of the 1928 city hall building.

google_earth

hmmmm...on second thought, maybe it was only this long. (I dun'no ) -what do you guys think?

google_earth

One last look at the façade.

http://culvercitytimes.com/photo/cul...ource=activity

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 30, 2015 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wig-Wag View Post
I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest Washington Street Service.
Thanks Jack. -appreciate the help.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 4:22 PM

Yesterday afternoon I came across this amazing photograph of post-1933 earthquake Venice High School.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Pho...item463e87ecd1

before the earthquake.

http://www.venicehistorical.org/

cardcow

below: 'Fountain of Education' by Harry Fielding Winebrenner 1922.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myrna_..._Education.jpg

"In 1921 actress Myrna Loy posed for Venice High School sculpture teach Harry Fielding Winebrenner for the central figure 'Inspiration' in the sculpture group."

Today

http://marvistamom.com/2015/05/20/ve...tion-may-26th/

After years of neglect and vandalism (for years it was surrounded by an ugly iron fence) the original statue group was taken down in 2002
and replaced with this beautiful bronze replica of 'Inspiration' was installed in 2010.

I'm not sure what happened to the other statues in the sculpture group. Does anyone know?

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 30, 2015 at 4:38 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 4:27 PM

Thalberg Building

My sister worked for MGM and had an office in the Thalberg Building during the 1980s - the times of the Kerkorian/Turner cha-cha-cha.

I visited her there a few times. I remember wide hallways, and movie posters on the hallway walls. It was a hushed and purposeful place, and the folks I met that worked there seemed happy - many long time employees, and were into Hollywood history and the film industry.

I had lunch with her a couple of times in the commissary, and once in the Lion's Den executive commissary, and saw a few television and film actors. There were movie posters on the walls, and next to them were Oscars on little shelves.

I have a photo from the MGM Stills Department of Dorothy, Toto, Cowardly Lion, Tin Man and Scarecrow in the poppy field.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 4:29 PM

Quote:

I've outlined in red the old footprint of the 1928 city hall building.

hmmmm...on second thought, maybe it was only this long. (I dun'no ) -what do you guys think?

google_earth

It looks like you're second guess was pretty close, e_r. The clearest shot I could find on Historic Aerials was 1980:

Historic Aerials

The 1948 image shows the word "CULVER CITY" on either side of the roof. The later shots are considerably more blurry, but I think the lettering survived into the '60s.

Historic Aerials

I'll have to see if it appeared in 'CHiPs'.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 4:40 PM

Excellent find HossC!

I love the 'CULVER CITY' written on the roof in that 1948 aerial.

Note the buildings that were lost for the rear parking lot.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 4:57 PM

Quote:

Thanks Jack. -appreciate the help.
Folks, in light of some additional research I have revised my original answer to ER's question above. Post#30026.

Cheers,
Jack

Last edited by Wig-Wag; Jul 30, 2015 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Does anyone know when Los Angeles held its last La Fiesta, as this dates the photo later than 1902?
Cecilia Rasmussen noted in LAT in 2003 that La Fiesta ran from 1894 to the start of WWI. It's here. (There was the one-time revival in 1931 too.)

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 6:29 PM

eBay

Quote:
The older Gent is probably the Paymaster.The others were probably the motorman and security.

Car 9000 was LARY's first Pay Car and was originally numbered 500. Employees entered the front door, collected their pay from the Paymaster and exited the rear door. This car was rebuilt as number 9000 in 1906 (which helps to date the photo but calls into question the WS Service on the reverse as it remained a Pay Car until dismantled in 1913. This was the only car of this type in LARY service. as a result of this mornings research I am inclined to suggest that WS stands for Work Service rather than Washing Street.
Thanks for the clarification Wig-Wag.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 6:47 PM

La Casa de la Centinela

Have we visited the Adobe Centinela on NLA?

reverse

It's still stands northeast of LAX.

google_earth

It barely survived the construction of the 405.

google_earth

pretty darn close!

There's actually a sign facing the freeway that I hadn't noticed before.

gsv

Here it is from Midfield Avenue.

gsv

There's another interesting building just inside the gate to the right.

gsv / detail

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 6:55 PM

Myrna Loy statue, Venice High School + Centinela Adobe

Quote:
I'm not sure what happened to the other statues in the sculpture group. Does anyone know?
__
No, but apparently the other figures were done by students.

An interesting, detailed history is here.

moreaboutmyrna

The Centinela Adobe was built in 1834. Canadian Daniel Freeman was living there when he founded the City of Inglewood (named after his hometown) on a portion of his Rancho Aguaje de la Centinela. The smaller building is Freeman's 1887 land office. It used to be on Florence Ave near Eucalyptus. The adobe is not in Inglewood. It is maintained jointly by the City of Inglewood and the Historical Society of the Centinela Valley. - wiki

The adobe in 1889:

wiki

The Centinela-Inglewood Land Company office (1887):

wiki

More info from LAT

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 30, 2015 at 10:14 PM. Reason: add title + Centinela bumph

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 7:17 PM

Quote:

Have we visited the Adobe Centinela on NLA?

It barely survived the construction of the 405.

google_earth
I wondered whether La Casa de la Centinela Adobe was still in its original location. This 1952 image shows the Adobe prior to the freeway construction, so unless it was moved before 1952, it got lucky!

Historic Aerials

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 8:09 PM

Quote:
That's the art deco Irving Thalberg Building in the background (just outside the east gate of MGM*)

Aerial shot of the Thalberg Building in 1946.
Madison Ave. is on the left and the original
east gate entrance on the right.

The East Gate entrance in 1939.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2015, 11:16 PM

Thalberg Building

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Aerial shot of the Thalberg Building in 1946.
Madison Ave. is on the left and the original
east gate entrance on the right.

Thank you Martin for the reminder that there were small businesses on Madison and Washington then (lower, right corner). All later swept away for more parking in front of the Thalberg.

It was the funeral home business, next to the Thalberg on Madison, that hung on forever. No one could dislodge them. I cannot remember now when it was finally absorbed into the lot. Relatively recently. It was eventually rebuilt to blend in with the Thalberg. (I think when the new east gate arch was built)

google maps

gsv

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos