HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 1:52 AM
cookies, skittles & milk

Sucks for Burnham & Co. Great stories. Makes sense too, not just random stuff. McKim Tower is already a classic! Very ESB-ish. And the story behind it is great.

That last picture is awesome! Can't really complaint about this city. Maybe have better street textures?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 3:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoiseAirport View Post
WOW!!

I am in love with this city!! Erm...sorry if this is kind of out there, I mean, yeah, I'm kinda nervous, but....

Can I marry your city!?!

I love it love it love it!!! Keep up the awesome work!
Uh, I'm not sure about that marriage thing. It's not you, it's just that you've known eachother for such a short time, so it feels a bit rushed. I'm pretty sure she would date you, though. You seem like a nice guy. She will probably let you continue seeing those other cities as well - as long as there's no jealousy issues on their part.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 3:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
McKim Tower is already a classic! Very ESB-ish. And the story behind it is great.
Well, McKim Tower was inspired by Empire State Building - at least texture wise. I guess there's many of those late 20's racing-to-be-the-tallest-towers from NY in its form, not just the ESB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks0o01 View Post
That last picture is awesome! Can't really complaint about this city. Maybe have better street textures?
You have to wait and see what 1950's and the introduction of road markings does to Rocane's looks.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 4:28 PM

High-rise development was halted for over 20 years during the Great Depression and the World War II. Right after the WWII development started in the suburbs, but it wasn't until 1953 when Rocane got its first post-war highrise.

Technological development, the Great Depression and WWII had virtually killed Rocane's shipping industry. The opening of the Sullivan Memorial Bridge spanning the Rocane River in 1950 virtually killed Rocane's passenger ferries. Technological development rendered riverside factories obsolete. This all contributed to the initiation of the Riverfront Renewal project. During the Renewal project some of the piers were removed and some converted to recreational spaces. Couple of piers were renovated for tourist ferries. The factories and the warehouses were torn down to give way to new buildings and parks. The first buildings to be completed, in 1953, were the towers of Olmsted Apartments. Art deco was long forgotten and the buildings were designed in the brand new International Style. They were a sharp contrast against the older city.

The higher building of Olmsted Apartments is 272 feet (83 m) tall and has 20 stories.

Rocane's retail markets grew rapidly after WWII, and the Jenney Retail Company benefited the most. It expanded fast and soon its headquarters in the tower of Jenney's Department Store got too small. They bought a lot across the street and in 1954 the Delaware Building had a new neighbour. Jenney's Department Store building was still known as the Jenney Building, so the new building was originally known by its address, 250 South Main Street. Jenney Retail Company sold the building to a Japanese financing and insurance company, PEIIM International, in 1990, when a new building was erected next to the original Jenney Building, and the retail company moved it's headquarters there. 250 South Main Street was renamed the PEIIM International Tower.

PEIIM International Tower stands at 338 feet (103 m) and has 23 stories.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 11:35 PM
cookies, skittles & milk

Is that Leverhouse I see? Once you move on in time some renderings will looks so sexy!!!

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 3:20 AM
Ex Houstonian

Oh no! Is urban renewal about to occur in your city. Too bad, so much history will be lost! Great city, i love how you are making it into a timeline of events. Pretty sweet dude.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 4:59 AM
Dare Mighty Things

This city really is going beyond outstanding!!

Anthony

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 5:29 PM
World Machine

I can't get enough of this city! I'd work on some of the building and company names though. Not a big deal, but just a thought.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 5:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dac150 View Post
I can't get enough of this city! I'd work on some of the building and company names though. Not a big deal, but just a thought.
I will try. I guess that's the hardest part for me. Since I'm not from an English-speaking country, I can't easily see what's a good Anglo-American company name and what's not.

Oil was found in the areas surrounding Rocane in 1921 and after WWII Rocane's petroleum industry began to grow rapidly. In the early days the industry was ran by Rocane-based companies, and by 1950's there were two firms that were competing for the ultimate control of Rocane's oil fields, Rocane Oil and Gilbert Petroleum. Couple of smaller companies still existed, but that ended in early 50's when the Texas-based Norman Oil Company came to claim its share and bought the remaining independent firms one by one. The Norman Building, built to house their Rocane offices, was completed in 1956. This Market Street building is 207 feet (63 m) high and has 15 stories.

The Riverside Plaza was the flagship of the Riverfront Renewal project. Rocane's commerce was growing fast and new office space was needed. Its main tenant was to be Rocane Energy, company that had a monopoly over Rocane's energy markets. In 1956 the company announced plans for an ultramodern nuclear power plant and the investors went crazy. Company's share-values rose insanely in the following years. To highlight their role as a technologically advanced energy provider, they changed their name to something more dynamic. The Quantum Energy Corporation was born. Soon Riverside Plaza was renamed Q Plaza after its main tenant.

The Q Plaza was completed in 1957 and though it never was the tallest building in Rocane, it was by far the largest building by office space at that time. The Q Plaza is 476 feet (145 m) tall and has 32 stories. It was welcomed with praise as well as critique. Its architecture, modern but still reminiscent of art deco, was appreciated. Its massive size, on the other hand, was criticized. Little did people know, that it was just the beginning...

Market Street looking west in 1960.

Downtown Rocane from across the river in 1960. The colossal Q Plaza dominates the skyline.

Downtown from northeast.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 8:52 PM
Dare Mighty Things

GahhhhhhH!!!!! This is killing me to look at!!!

I've spent countless hours modeling tons and tons of models for 2 years and you just started and already you're better than I am!!! You sir are a Sketchup Prodigy!!!!!

Amazing amazing amazing! I love it!

Anthony

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 8:53 PM

Wow, were did all this come from? That shot of the Q Plaza is really impressive, the background looks so...vivid? I can't think of a good word but it's well-balanced and very realistic. I definately will keep my eyes on this city.

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 9:07 PM

Amazing city, but I have a weird question: what's the story of Rocane's public transit?

Old Posted Jan 30, 2009, 9:47 PM
nuttin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellu View Post
I really prefer that hand-drawn look that I get with my textures, so it's not worth the time rendering takes. ...
Indeed, i thought it was hand modelled

Nice

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 12:38 AM

Damn!!

Old Posted Jan 31, 2009, 5:28 AM

Wow, very good, cant wait to see what the 90's bring (though I already know )

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 10:34 AM

Thanks again for the compliments, guys! They are really motivating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantytown Architect View Post
Amazing city, but I have a weird question: what's the story of Rocane's public transit?
In 1960 Rocane's public transit relied heavily on busses. They served the whole downtown area. Commuter trains brought people to the city from suburbs farther away. Central Railway Station was just outside the downtown area at the location where Market Street dives under the tracks (if you look at the last "Market Street looking west" shot and imagine yourself turning 180 degrees, you would see the station right in front of you). Unfortunately none of this can be seen in the shots, so you just have to take my word for it Anyways, the favorite way of transport in 1960's Rocane was driving a car.

Before 1962 federal agencies were scattered all over town. To change that, this building at the corner of Main Street and 3rd South Street was constructed. It brought all the agencies under one roof (at least for a while) and was named the Federal Building. It was completed in 1962, has 20 stories and is 302 feet (92 m) tall.

Rocane experienced its greatest building boom between 1964 and 1978. A total of eleven buildings over 100 metres were constructed during that time. First of these was the City Offices Building, or Stephen Sullivan Memorial Building by its official name. Usually it is just called the Sullivan Building. It's 394 feet (120 m) tall, has 26 stories and houses the offices of different city agencies.

The person who this building is named after, Stephen Sullivan, was Rocane's first official mayor. He was elected for the first time in 1843, ten years after Rocane was founded.

Rocane's oil industry was booming in the 50's, but in the early 60's Rocane-based companies were already struggling under the pressure put on to them by the more national and even international companies. A merge was expected and it happened in 1963, when Rocane Oil bought Gilbert Petroleum from Gilbert Industries. The merged company was named United Oil Company, and their new headquarters, the 39-story United Oil Building, was completed in 1965. With its height of 594 feet (181 m) it became Rocane's tallest building, taking that title from the McKim Tower. It held the title for two years.

Old Posted Feb 1, 2009, 8:42 PM
Ex Houstonian

I think to be more accurate to the times, more of the old buildings need to be torn down and turned into parking lots. Then when the late 90s and early 00s come around you can fill them in with bad ass post modern scrapers!

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 3:20 PM

I agree. I figured that out when I was making the last Rocane model, but at that point I just wanted to finish Rocane and move on to new cities, so I never went back to fix that and some other things as well. I will give a review on what I think wasn't that good (and what was good) in my Rocane models after 2020.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2009, 7:42 PM

this city is really great! it's huge but also very detailed. keep it up. ´the 90's will be great^^

Old Posted Feb 3, 2009, 7:25 PM
World Machine

All looks well. I suggest adding some trees or a fountain to the plaza of that last building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Urban Art > Google Sketchup