HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 26, 2004, 9:11 AM

Sorry but, though I like their design in itself, I think these towers are too high, badly integrated in the Pudong skyline and plan. Very pushy indeed ! (can you feel it my landmark building !)

Due to new ratio, the price for their 320 meters height is that only a quater of Lujiazui biggest block will be build in an area still desperatly waiting for urban densification. From the Jasper tower to the X3-2 tower, a street (Yin Cheng Zhong road) could have been drawn. Same for the west side of Yin Cheng Xi road, that will now nearly have only one side built, another born-dead street. Look at all this empty space in between the Jin Mao and this project !

A megalomaniac step in the wrong direction, I hope this project is not the final one. The plot has not yet been cleared, so there is some more time left for reflexion.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2004, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avcellvs
Sorry but, though I like their design in itself, I think these towers are too high,
That's impossible.
A skyscraper in Pudong can never be too high.

Old Posted Nov 26, 2004, 3:27 PM

Quote:
That's impossible. A skyscraper in Pudong can never be too high.
Please, try exposing us your arguments behind this bible truth

Old Posted Dec 2, 2004, 8:27 AM

Moyan808 posted this exciting rendering of Pudong around 2011 in the WFC thread of the cameraunion forum :

I definitively think the Pelli towers are too high, they don't match the pyramidal skyline, and this rendering is from a building on the Bund not even from the ground (which would have accentuated their height). Pushy, I did meant it. No compensation for this forced step will be possible since the only unconstructed plot left on the north side of Century Avenue is supposed to feature a 170 meters building (the nighmarish Pingan cathedral). Look at the void in between the Shangri La hotel extension and the Hopson Tower, this is also the price for these towers height (new ratio).

In the same frame of mind, a higher than WFC WTC is not a great idea for the skyline neither. The Hopson and the X3-2 towers could have been higher.

When the Lujiazui zone will be extended, some really tall buildings filling the void in between the Pelli towers and the Bank of China building in the backgroung, near the Stock exchange, would be welcomed.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2004, 9:43 AM

The beauty of this skyline lies in chaos. I think that the towers by Pelli fit perfectly in this chaos.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2004, 2:46 PM

that is cool rendering work!

Old Posted Dec 2, 2004, 6:00 PM
Unidentified

what a mess !
The height of Pelli Twins should reduce by 1/3 ,and if WTC will be built ,350m is the maximum.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2004, 8:18 AM

Quote:
The beauty of this skyline lies in chaos
Quote:
what a mess !
Neither chaos nor mess but the clearly identifiable shape of a conical skyline which perfectly fits the topograpical specificity of the Lujiazui zone (a land circled by Huangpu river meander).

Another great post by moyan808 in the cameraunion forum demonstrating how the Pelli towers height break this order : they are too high for their excentrical location. One third shorter would be too much, they could just be shortened in order to let the JinMao top unobstructed from the Bund, 280 meters or so. This might enable the construction of a third building (like in the first project) that would help keeping on drawing streets in the Lujiazui zone.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2004, 11:22 AM

This is nonsensical.
A couple af 320 m towers won't block SWFC from every point of view.

Besides, their presence will be appreciated just as well as that of SWFC.

Old Posted Dec 4, 2004, 6:57 PM

Finally, I think I was wrong (!?).

I have been sticking too much to my own experience of the current skyline whose summit is the JinMao. With the construction of the WFC the whole skyline rises and the Pelli towers just correct its slope (shortening the project would not have helped anything).

The WTC construction will probably soften the step on Lujiazui south side too. However, I'm still disturbed by the step in between the Pelli twins and the Bank of China Tower. The solution could be to build a 270/200 meters tower at the corner of Century Avenue in stead of the 170 meters Pingan "cathedral".

Pelli is not to blame but the new ratio. If one part of Lujiazui's urbanisation is definitively ruined by this construction at least, it saves the postcard from the Bund. That's how bad things are now with the "Shanghai's sinking" new ratio : buildings will have to be shorter. You don't draw a city with 300 or 400 meters buildings every 500 meters.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2004, 8:53 AM

Falling in love with a rapidly changing city is a dangerous game.
I wish there were more renderings of the new towers in their context to ponder their impact.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2004, 12:43 PM

Moyan 808 strikes again :
The Development Tower and the Jasper Tower makes a real nice pair.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2004, 5:03 PM

Still no idea of who designed the beautiful Development Tower ?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 9:55 AM

A new rendering and a slightly different model (lovely 30s facist architecture touch) for the Pingan Insurance Building.

One more shit for the skyline foreground ! I can't believe my eyes ! Together with the Merryland building, those towers will be the shame of the CDB. I hope this project won't get the green light.

Ping An Insurance Co., China's second-largest insurer, plans to spend US$242 million to building a skyscraper in Pudong financial district to house its asset management division. The Shenzhen-based insurer will fund a building that is 150 meters tall on a 27,600 - square - meter site next to the Bank of China Tower. Shanghai Lujiazui Finance & Trade Zone Development Co., a real estate developer, said it had sold the Pudong site to Ping An for 447.1 million RMB

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 11:35 AM

^This is a Citroen 2CV. I thought they were extinct.
The building behing seems inspired by the cathedral of Reims.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 12:29 PM

They are, and so are the FIAT 500 too. Retro scenery, for a retro building.
Please, stop insulting the Reims cathedral :hilarious

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 1:24 PM

A new rendering of Lujiazui circa 2011, by moyan808. Nice ! The century avenue is taking shape but I still regret the void in between the twins and the JinMao. May be later, in a $econd con$truction pha$e, a deci$ion will be made to get rid of the $hit building$ and den$ify thi$ plot and the whole zone... That's often the case with "start from nothing" CDBs.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 5:35 PM

I though the pudong area is too soft to build tall and/or heavy buildings? How comes these 2 buildings are being considered?

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 6:20 PM
The Fountain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb
I like that view a lot! The building looks massive and overbearing. The rendering makes it look cool. The model makes it look ugly and old.

Old Posted Dec 11, 2004, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avcellvs
A new rendering of Lujiazui circa 2011, by moyan808.

moyan808 is a genius. So is Pelli.
I've never been more convinced that this development is perfect for this site.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations