HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
That would be kool maudit, not MolsonExport. The latter got exported from Mtl too, but only to London (and not the overseas one).

I had good memories of Vancouver from having previously spent time there ~10 years ago, but I was disappointed by the city this year. I am not a Vancouverite at all, just had to live there for some ~6 months to oversee a project I couldn't pass up (and which may have other phases in the following years, requiring me again to spend time in that city that definitely wouldn't be my choice of place to live).

So... if you want to diss the place, fire away, and I might even join you!
Haha oh my.
BC doesn't really care what the ROC thinks of us. Because we dont think about the ROC at all.
We face west. And down the coast. We're closer friends to Seattle than Calgary or Toronto. Just the way it is here.
See I'm the one who is representing Vancouver nationally and I dont even live there lol.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

the Export in Molson comes from my transplanting to Vancouver from Montreal. The twilight of my Vancouver years coincides with my first joining the SSP forum (1998).

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
the Export in Molson comes from my transplanting to Vancouver from Montreal. The twilight of my Vancouver years coincides with my first joining the SSP forum (1998).
Ah figured it was just for the beer name.
Dis you ever see Molson Export beer on Vancouver shelves. Not sure I've ever seen it here?

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:30 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Mrs. Brown's Boys is awesome. It's a sitcom, so... you know, all the usual caveats... but I love it.

Yeah, it makes me a little sad how much it's faded in just one generation. My father can often guess someone's surname and where they're from just from looking at them, and if he hears them talk he can always pin them down to a very specific part of the province. It's fascinating to me because I can't do it. But, for example, we'll go out for lunch and his conversation with the waitress might go something like, "You're the face and eyes of a Squires!" ("My mother's maiden name.") "You sounds like you're from the bottom of Placentia Bay!" ("Grew up in Southern Harbour!") etc.

I can't do ANY of that. I can tell the most sing-songy Irish accents from the Southern Shore instantly (very different from mine and most NL accents). And I can recognize some things... a tall, tan girl with black hair and blue eyes, I'll guess and often be right that she's from somewhere on the Burin Peninsula. That sort of thing. But it's like... 2-5% of the time I can tell enough to guess, and not even close to always being right. Dad's like the opposite, can almost always guess, almost always correct.
I'm fairly good with Nova Scotia accents - the two main Cape Breton accents are easy - the one sounds rather like Newfoundland but more harsh, the other is shared with Antigonish and Pictou counties and is a bit sing-songy Scottish-Irish. I've never really noticed any difference in Acadian Cape Bretoners - the French accent seems to be long gone.

Then you get into the more historically protestant counties at the middle of the province and there are a couple of distinct accents - one fairly plain urban accent and one fairly thick "country" accent which at extremes is rather southern-sounding.

Annapolis Valley has a couple other accents but they are fading. The old timers sounded rather mid-Atlantic with a touch of English. Younger people don't have that. At the far end of the Valley you can start to hear some Acadian accents and what I call the "grizzled old fisherman accent" which is common to coastal folks in three different provinces, and I can't really explain it - but the PEI accent is closest.

The south shore has a variety of accents that I can't really describe, but the strongest accents at the far end sound almost like Maine. "South Shoah"

Of course there are million other accents - don't think I know two people who sound the same LOL. But those are the main ones.

The most notable element of my accent would be the typical Maritimer "pirate" sound when pronouncing words ending in "ar", which is similar to Irish. Car, bar, tar, etc. sound like Arrrrr matey! For some people the word "our" also rhymes!

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
It's a clever username, as you're a product of Molson's School of Business at Concordia.

(In case anyone missed it.)

(Also, I'm not going to assume everyone knows that, but Molson Export is a very common/popular beer in Quebec.)

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Haha oh my.
BC doesn't really care what the ROC thinks of us. Because we dont think about the ROC at all.
We face west. And down the coast. We're closer friends to Seattle than Calgary or Toronto. Just the way it is here.
Delusions of grandeur? Ok there, buddy.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:53 PM

No it's true. Were so far away, are largely ignored, and have our own culture shared with the PNW so it's no surprise.
And most Vancouver posters dont even bother to leave their own section and post nationally.
That's the view from here.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:57 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Ah figured it was just for the beer name.
Dis you ever see Molson Export beer on Vancouver shelves. Not sure I've ever seen it here?
Yes, but only seasonally. Objectively it isn't a great beer. But I have a soft spot for it, because that was the beer served up the taverns and brasseries of my misspent youth. It was the beer of the Habs. It was the beer of too many drunken stupors to count. the beer in the 2-4s that I repeatedly lugged up to my nest on the side of Mount Royal, year after year. It was the beer I was loaded up on when I lost my virginity (that and a lot of hashish).

Last edited by MolsonExport; Sep 26, 2020 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 4:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
It's a clever username, as you're a product of Molson's School of Business at Concordia.

(In case anyone missed it.)

(Also, I'm not going to assume everyone knows that, but Molson Export is a very common/popular beer in Quebec.)
yes, that (those reasons) too.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 5:01 PM
Closed account

Quote:
No it's true. Were so far away, are largely ignored, and have our own culture shared with the PNW so it's no surprise.
And most Vancouver posters dont even bother to leave their own section and post nationally.
That's the view from here.
I've known a lot of Vancouverites and spent time there, and I'd say this is probably true. I've never heard of them talk about other cities except maybe Calgary and Seattle.

I definitely haven't heard any competition with Toronto. (It would be my observation too that many Torontonians are so insanely competitive about EVERYTHING that there'd be no point trying to discuss with them anyway.)

As for my city of Halifax, I think most Vancouverites would be like, "oh yeah I have heard of that - it's somewhere over by Greenland right?"

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 5:12 PM

^^^ I would think most Vancouverites know where Halifax is. And none of them would put it down or consider it a "rival".

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 5:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
^^^ I would think most Vancouverites know where Halifax is. And none of them would put it down or consider it a "rival".
I guess I should have used a laughing emoticon. I thought it was obvious I was going for a bit of absurdity.

I've never really heard anyone put Halifax down except a Calgarian or two and many, many Ontarians - they seem to have special disdain for the whole east coast.

Everyone else I've encountered from various cities spoke of Halifax warmly (often with memories of having gone to University here.)

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 5:28 PM
Registered Drug User

Posts like kool's above are what make SSP great.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 5:52 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rousseau View Post
Posts like kool's above are what make SSP great.
2nd that.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Bilingual Québécois visiting a Hollywood studio this week:

Tour guide: I guess you guys being Canadian, you must be soooo proud of Schitt's Creek winning all those Emmys?

Québécois tourists:

Québécois tourists' kid: Papa, pourquoi le monsieur a dit le mot pour "merde" en anglais?
I really like Schitt's Creek, it's a fine sitcom. My only problem with it, is that it pretends to take place in the US. This is a problem with many English Canadian shows and movies; they are so afraid that the American public won't be "in" if they realize that the action is taking place up north that they won't watch. The British would never do that, yet some of their shows make it big in the US (like BBC's Killing Eve, or Flea Bag).

Next time you see an episode of Schitt's Creek, notice that they use US dollars, for exemple. And all their cultural references are from the US. I think it's a shame.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 6:42 PM

Quote:
That would be kool maudit, not MolsonExport. The latter got exported from Mtl too, but only to London (and not the overseas one).

I had good memories of Vancouver from having previously spent time there ~10 years ago, but I was disappointed by the city this year. I am not a Vancouverite at all, just had to live there for some ~6 months to oversee a project I couldn't pass up (and which may have other phases in the following years, requiring me again to spend time in that city that definitely wouldn't be my choice of place to live).

So... if you want to diss the place, fire away, and I might even join you!
Thanks for the "kool" note. Fixed it. Should have known it wasn't Export

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Delusions of grandeur? Ok there, buddy.
I love how the lower mainland talks for the entire province of BC. I think the folks of the Peace River, Caribou, Prince Rupert and other regions would have issues with some of the views coming out of Yaletown and Kitsilano.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 8:58 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Mtl View Post
I really like Schitt's Creek, it's a fine sitcom. My only problem with it, is that it pretends to take place in the US. This is a problem with many English Canadian shows and movies; they are so afraid that the American public won't be "in" if they realize that the action is taking place up north that they won't watch. The British would never do that, yet some of their shows make it big in the US (like BBC's Killing Eve, or Flea Bag).

Next time you see an episode of Schitt's Creek, notice that they use US dollars, for exemple. And all their cultural references are from the US. I think it's a shame.
I was not aware and am surprised to hear that. Given that it was broadcast on the CBC. Usually the stuff they air isn't like that and unabashedly Canadian.

I don't watch English Canadian fictional TV much anyway, and stuff that's obviously Canadian but that tries to hard to seem American, is usually a turn-off for me.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2020, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I was not aware and am surprised to hear that. Given that it was broadcast on the CBC. Usually the stuff they air isn't like that and unabashedly Canadian.

I don't watch English Canadian fictional TV much anyway, and stuff that's obviously Canadian but that tries to hard to seem American, is usually a turn-off for me.
I am halfway through the second season, and yeah they go out of their way to pretend the show takes place in the US. They will refer to miles instead of km for example. That said I did note a reference to Montreal and Winnipeg, but that’s pretty light.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2020, 4:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
'What are your province's Canadian blind spots' would make for an interesting off-topic Canada subforum thread...

I have to say, in Manitoba we are totally aware of Alberta, and there is a decent degree of familiarity with BC (Lower Mainland), Saskatchewan, southern (but not SW) Ontario and Montreal. But the rest of Quebec and the Atlantic provinces (other than maybe the Halifax area) are a bit of a blind spot for sure. My friends and family are fairly well travelled but hardly anyone I know has spent much time in New Brunswick, for example. It's practically terra incognita.
That would make an interesting subform thread. Canadian's blind spots for Saskatchewan would be that most Canadians don't know Saskatchewan isn't completely flat across the entire province, but has alpine areas at it's higher elevations particularly in the South West and has low lands in the north east drainage basin to Hudson Bay. Over 1,100 meters difference in elevation overall in the province, giving Saskatchewan greater hills and valleys than other provinces in Canada between* the Rockies and the Quebec/Labrador Mountain range.

Another blind spot for Canadians about Saskatchewan would be the weather.
Most Canadians think Summers and Winters across the province are the exact same everywhere no matter where you go in the province even though the South West corner of the province is closer to Arizona than it is to the inverse opposite corner of the province, and the town where I come from only has intermittent snow on ground and for only part of Winter, also weather reports of blizzards in Saskatchewan's far north don't automatically mean blizzards in the South and across the entire province and all four corners as well. Americans have a very generalized idea of weather for Canada, some thinking Canadians live in igloos but some Canadians aren't much better in knowing weather in the country and particularly Saskatchewan.

As far as awareness of other provinces, I'd say Manitobans know more about the the provinces heading west, proportional to distance, than say BCers know about provinces heading east.
Saskatchewanians know more about provinces heading West than provinces heading east, and Albertans more about BC and Saskatchewan than the other provinces heading east.
Neighbouring American states and further South hold more attention of Western Canadians than to central or eastern provinces in Canada. Atlantic Canada being so remote is therefore a fairly big blind spot for most Westerners. It wasn't until my first time in Halifax did I correct a lot of misconceptions for myself that I think most Canadians that haven't been, hold for Atlantic Canada.

As far as homerism, I'm Saskatchewan Rider Pride first and bleed green. Western Canadian second and when I'm across the pond I'm a bolster of Canada as a whole.

When I'm in America and mention I'm from Saskatchewan, I'm just as likely to hear "you're from the home of Joni Mitchell, Gene Simmon's wife Shannon Tweed, Skip-The-Dishes founder" etc etc than I hear about Drake or Alanis Morrisette.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortaPetee View Post
You just reminded me that the first time I ever saw a clip from Mrs. Brown's Boys I legitimately thought it was in Newfoundland...
You were mistakenly thinking of Newfoundland's Mary Brown's fried chicken I'm guessing?, which I first heard of last month on SSP for the first time...

Unless I'm mistaken there is no connection of any sort of Newfoundland to Mrs. Brown's Boys which is produced by BBC in Scotland but set in Ireland. The main actor first started voicing the character of Mrs Brown as a radio play but then had to do it in drag when it became a theatrical show and then a tv show in front of a live audience. My husband introduced the show to me among other Britcoms that we've watch on Britbox.

*edited for my exact meaning

Last edited by SaskScraper; Sep 27, 2020 at 9:02 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada