HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 7:21 PM
One Thing At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Were all those lane closures just for the Post District pour or for other projects also?
There were lane closures for 95 State as well. The northbound side of State from 1st south to South Temple.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 2:18 PM

Chrome Works - 234 residential unit development - Design Review

I noticed there was a rendering on the SLC Planning website for the Chrome Works project I posted the other day, so I thought I would post the image. It has the words over it, but it still gives you a good idea of the project. https://www.slc.gov/planning/2020/08/25/chrome-works/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
269 W. Brooklyn Ave
A developer appears to be planning on filing a design review application for their property located at: 269 W Brooklyn Ave, Salt Lake City, UT
https://citizenportal.slcgov.com/Cit...howInspection=
The project is proposed to be 6 floors of 234 residential units sitting on a two floor podium (8 floors total). It also appears to be the first phase in what may be a two phase development.

Application Objective:
Quote:
As originally conceived, the multifamily projects at 269 Brooklyn Avenue was to be a height of 60 feet, conforming to CG zoning code. Recently, we learned that environmental concerns are suggesting that our planned basement parking may not be advisable, due to the water table level, therefore we are requesting Design Review to approve that we raise the building height from 60 to 65 feet. While this is permitted for our CG zoning, exceeding a height of 60’ requires design review.

This approach would put the first level at -1-0 and the bottom of our 3’ matt slab at -4’-0, which is ideal because the first 4’ of soil is organic and has to be removed no matter. If the water table is at -6’-0 (it is probably lower) our vapor mitigation system located right under the slab would be well above the water table. And we would never have any water in our site drainage system and hence no monitoring costs. The vapor mitigation and site drainage might be able to be combined into one.
Project Description
Quote:
269 Brooklyn Avenue is a proposed 234-unit multifamily building targeting low income residents earning 60% of Area Median Income (AMI). Project equity is to be financed with 4% Low Income Housing Tax Credits (LIHTC) issued by Utah Housing Corporation. Parking will be provided in the 2:1 ration mandated by CG zoning. The project is composed of studio, one bedroom and two-bedroom micro units. There are 191 studios, 134 of which have 383 square feet, although studios range in size from 332 square feet
to 447 square feet; One bedroom units total 22, ten of which have 498 square feet, with a range from 460 to 673 square feet. Two-bedroom units total 21, with ten units of 600 square feet, ranging from 580 to 677 square feet.

Both projects will have two levels of concrete podium providing parking, lobby and residential units. Five stories of wood-frame construction will be constructed above the podium, comprised of residential units and community space on the rooftop. Exterior construction materials combine an attractive mix of Mineral fiber siding, stucco and metal panels.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 3:08 PM

Here's the render without the text overlay:

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:16 PM

Jazz sale includes the stadium

Today the Miller group sold the Jazz to Ryan Smith from Qualtrics. Included in the deal is the downtown Vivint arena.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 4:17 PM

In "didn't see that one coming" news, the millers sold the Jazz. Thankfully to Ryan smith of qualtrics, so no worries about the team moving

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 5:21 PM

^^ That makes me wonder about the timing of it. Is it possible that the LHM theaters are struggling more than they have been letting on and selling the Jazz and the arena is their best solution? Or is it just coincidence? The Millers are so heavily invested in parts the of economy that have been hit the hardest by C-19, I wonder if this had to happen for the rest of the company to survive.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 6:13 PM

^^ I think the pandemic has everything to do with it. Gail mentioned that the current circumstances were part of why they made this decision, and Ryan Smith said that this wasn't the first time he had approached the Millers about buying the team, but had always been turned down before.
I think the Miller Co was really hurting. Hopefully this stabilizes them.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:03 PM

Just as a quick update on a couple of projects that have been discussed recently, first, the Kensington Tower project is requesting an extension of approval of their project. They are looking to break ground in Summer 2021. Don't be fooled by the construction fencing. My guess is that it is to keep homeless people away from the site.

Second, the 370 S. West Temple site (NW corner of 400 S. West Temple) has been purchased by a new owner. They do have some new renderings that look pretty damn good. Sorry none that can be shared yet. This seems to be a pretty competent group so here's for hoping that this version actually gets built.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottharding View Post
^^ I think the pandemic has everything to do with it. Gail mentioned that the current circumstances were part of why they made this decision, and Ryan Smith said that this wasn't the first time he had approached the Millers about buying the team, but had always been turned down before.
I think the Miller Co was really hurting. Hopefully this stabilizes them.
With many segments of the Wasatch Front economy doing well it's easy to forget that there some segments that are really hurting. The Millers portfolio is particularly vulnerable right now. I'm glad Smith's fortune has arrived at a point where he can purchase the team.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 12:14 AM
NIMBY Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Just as a quick update on a couple of projects that have been discussed recently, first, the Kensington Tower project is requesting an extension of approval of their project. They are looking to break ground in Summer 2021. Don't be fooled by the construction fencing. My guess is that it is to keep homeless people away from the site.

Second, the 370 S. West Temple site (NW corner of 400 S. West Temple) has been purchased by a new owner. They do have some new renderings that look pretty damn good. Sorry none that can be shared yet. This seems to be a pretty competent group so here's for hoping that this version actually gets built.
To piggyback off this post, timeline on Kensington Tower is still summer 2021, and I'm hearing early summer is the target (think June, not August).

As for 370 S West Temple, the sellers (Held Properties) is supposedly still very high on SLC and looking to 1031 into something else in the market. Hoping that, whatever it ends up being, they can get it done this time. Perhaps something a bit less ambitious?

One other thing about "Kensington Tower." This is apparently a working name for the project. It got me thinking about what I might name a project like that, but I am definitely not the creative type. I'll be very interested to see what they come up with.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 10:16 AM

Wow, didn't see the Jazz sale coming at all. It makes sense to think that it's because their portfolio is struggling big time.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTPlanner View Post
Can you tell us under 20 stories/over 20 stories?

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 1:49 PM
Space Magi

I'm assuming it's that 28 story one on the Domain Companies website from a few pages back. The renderings we have right now only show the base of the tower.

Last edited by Atlas; Oct 29, 2020 at 2:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 3:09 PM

As much as I'd like to see these two and the other two Hines tower proposals go up, I'm still highly skeptical. I mean, it's good 'ol Salt Lake City where we typically only get a few 20story highrises per decade. Remember that back in 2006 City Creek first proposed 111 Main as a 30 to 40 story office tower and 95 State as another 30 to 40 story mixed-use tower, and tower 2, aka Cascade, was proposed to be 20 stories?? 14 years later and only one of those has been built, 111 Main, and only to 24 stories, and 10 years after originally proposed. 95 State is finally on the rise, but a good 5 to 10 stories lower than originally proposed, and to be completed 15 years after it was originally proposed. And, tower 2 is nowhere close to being built.

Last edited by Orlando; Oct 29, 2020 at 5:17 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 3:30 PM
Space Magi

Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think housing demand and national interest in SLC has ever been this high, at least in the recent past. I'm hopeful about the 370 site, Kensington, and the Utah Theater Tower at least, and those are all residential or mixed-use. The other towers, I have no idea. There is a lot of good infill happening on the west and south sides of downtown too, so I think the city is starting to blossom again out of the ruins of 20th century auto-dependence (defying the pandemic). We can definitely thank City Creek and TRAX for catalyzing the transformation and attracting people downtown.

Speaking of urban transformation, I moved to Denver this week and had a chance to walk around the Union Station here again. It's really incredible how much the area around it has been completely reinvented by that development. Even though it was a little quiet due to the ongoing pandemic, LoDo has become a dense, interesting, transit-oriented urban environment. I really hope that the next big downtown project in SLC is something like Hatman's Rio Grande revival because I think it would be incredible for the city. The Depot District could be our LoDo.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 4:51 PM
One Thing At A Time

Although I morn the loss of the Miller stability I’m happy to have a young billionaire start throwing around money in SLC. Maybe we will even get a third professional sports team out of the deal. Or, dare I hope, a Jazz championship!

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 4:58 PM
One Thing At A Time

And if you’re sad about the Millers “struggling financially” man oh man wait till you hear about every single small business in every downtown across the entire country. Just in time for our city’s blossoming.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 5:08 PM

I thought I'd do a survey of highrise buildings built in the last few decades or so.

1980's: almost 20 buildings built 10 stories or higher (4 at 20+ stories)
1980: 15 story Qwest /Century Link bldg. 2nd s. and 2nd East
1980?: 11 story condo tower at Emigration Canyon
1980: 20 story Key Bank tower (now demolished)
1981: 16 story Marriott Downtown
1982: 14 story HK tower on 1st south & 5th East
1982: 26 story American Towers North
1982: 26 story American Towers South
1983: 12 story Chase Tower
1983: 18 story Hilton Hotel
1983: 13 story Governors Plaza Condo Tower
1984: 15 story US Bank Bldg. on NW corner of 2nd S. & Main
1984: 14-story Parkside Tower on SE corner 2nd s. & state
1984?: 11? story Salt Lake Chamber of Commerce Building
1985: 15 story Radisson Hotel (on S. Temple & 3rd West adj. to Salt Palace)
1985: 12 story Broadway Tower apartments (3rd s. & 2nd e.)
1986: 13 story 257 Tower now Medi City tower on 2nd s. & 3rd East
1986: 22 story World Trade Center on SW corner of S. Temple & State)
1987?: 14 story University Student Apartments Tower 1 at UofU
1988?: 14 story University Student Apartments Tower 2 at UofU
(Proposed but never built: (2) 40 story towers at Triad Center)

1990's: 5 buildings built to 10 stories or higher (3 at 20+ stories)
1991: 24 story One Utah Center
1992: 13 story Broadway Center
1992: Delta Center(10 stories tall)
1998: 20 story Gateway Tower West
1998: 24 story American Stores/ Wells Fargo Tower
(Proposed but never built: 33 story Zions Social Hall Center (where 95 State is currently being constructed))

2000's: 5 buildings built to 10 stories or higher ( 2 at 20+ stories)
2000: 24 story Grand America Hotel
2000: 10 story office bldg at Jordan Commons in Sandy
2001: 12 story apartment tower at The Gateway
2005: 12 story IHC hospital tower (built in suburban Murray)
2009: 22 story 222 Main
(Proposed but never built: 35-40 story Mystery Glass Tower (where 11 Main now is); 20 story
Tower 2; 12-story apartment bldg for City Creek project; 40-story hotel by Frank Gehry in Lehi; 2 20+ story apartment towers by Wasatch Partners on NE corner of
4th South & State)

2010's: 6-7 buildings built to 10 stories or higher (3 at 20+ stories)
2010: 10-story Richards Court East
2010: 10-story Richards Court West
2011: 30-story 99 West (The Promontory)
2011: 20-story Tower 5/ The Regent
2014: 14-story US Courthouse
2016: 24 story 111 Main
2018: 10-story Mountain America CU in suburban Sandy
(Proposed but never built: 20 story Regent Hotel; 24 story
Millenium Tower)

2020's: 3 buildings under construction to 20+stories (9 other
buildings proposed to 20+ stories)

Under Construction:
2021: 24 story 95 State
2021: 20 story Liberty Sky
2022: 26 story Hyatt Regency Convention Hotel
2022: 10 story hotel at West Quarter
2022: 10 story apartment bldg. at West Quarter
2022: 10 story Office tower at 650 Main St

Proposed:
2022?: 10 story res. bldg. at Sears Block
2023?: 40 story Kensington tower
2023?: 17 story 255 s. state tower
2023?: 36? story Utah Theater tower by Hines
2023?: 28 story Res. Tower on NW corner W. Temple & 4th S.
2023?: 25? story office tower by Hines at 450 s. Main
2023?: 25? story Regent Hotel
2025?: 26 story tower at West Quarter
2025?: 16? story tower at West Quarter
2025?: 20? story tower at West Quarter
2025?: 19 story Tower 2 at City Creek, The Cascade
2025?: 30+story res. tower at NE corner of 3rd s. & 2nd E.
2025?: 20+ story apartment approximately 625s Main
2025?: 15+ story apartment NW corner 3rd South 2nd East
2025?: 12+ story apartment NW corner 1st South 2nd East (part of original City Creek Center plan)
2025?: 10 story offce - 655 S West Temple (2nd phase Patrinely project)
2025?: 10 story office/mixed use - North Temple 5th West (Salt Development)
2025?: 12+ story UTA office - Central Station
2025?: 12? story building on Red Lion hotel development maybe more 10+ story buildings

Last edited by Orlando; Oct 31, 2020 at 11:18 PM.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 5:36 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
And if you’re sad about the Millers “struggling financially” man oh man wait till you hear about every single small business in every downtown across the entire country. Just in time for our city’s blossoming.
Amen to this. Its a slaughterhouse out there and I'm a little surprised how disconnected the general public is from this catastrophy for small businesses. On that note, I have ZERO IDEA of how all of these mixed use projects will fill up. I'll be surprised if anything new (is not already shovels) breaks ground in the next two years. How do you underwrite your entire first floor? Danny Meyer closed 28 restaurants. You think mom and pop is going to fill that hole? Retail will take 10 years to recover. So any mixed use will have all sorts of banking and underwriting issues.

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think housing demand and national interest in SLC has ever been this high, at least in the recent past. I'm hopeful about the 370 site, Kensington, and the Utah Theater Tower at least, and those are all residential or mixed-use. The other towers, I have no idea. There is a lot of good infill happening on the west and south sides of downtown too, so I think the city is starting to blossom again out of the ruins of 20th century auto-dependence (defying the pandemic). We can definitely thank City Creek and TRAX for catalyzing the transformation and attracting people downtown.

Speaking of urban transformation, I moved to Denver this week and had a chance to walk around the Union Station here again. It's really incredible how much the area around it has been completely reinvented by that development. Even though it was a little quiet due to the ongoing pandemic, LoDo has become a dense, interesting, transit-oriented urban environment. I really hope that the next big downtown project in SLC is something like Hatman's Rio Grande revival because I think it would be incredible for the city. The Depot District could be our LoDo.

Check out this proposal in Sacramento:

http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...postcount=7754

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West