HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction

1 Journal Square South Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Jersey City (New York City) Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 7:18 PM

New thread title: JERSEY CITY | One Journal Square | 849 FT × 2 | 66 x 2 FLOORS

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 9:09 PM

Not so fast! I have the official architectural drawings submitted to the city by the architect, Woods Bagot. They say 758 ft to the top of the parapet:

Here is the rendering:

Terrence and the Jersey Journal reporters are lazy. A little bit of legwork and they could've obtained these. I only had to call a few people.

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 9:23 PM

Here are the elevations. As you can see, the new design has offset/cantilevered sections (not a fan of those):

Old Posted Sep 26, 2017, 9:34 PM

Hmmm..... the site is 91 ft above sea level. The FAA submission may have double counted that. 758 + 91 is 849ft.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 4:28 AM

Hopefully after tonight's Planning Board meeting, someone can give us a definitive number for the heights, be it actually 849 ft. or 758ft, also counting the 91 ft elevation. Generally not a fan of cantilevered stuff but it looks a bit more interesting than the original plans.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 5:44 AM

$5 we see another design change and planning board meeting.... am I wrong?

Remember when there was a skybridge connecting the two towers?

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 6:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIA View Post

Remember when there was a skybridge connecting the two towers?
LOL... oh, I hope no more Planning Board meetings! And this design change is pretty significant.... I actually like it even with the bit of derivative hints with the offsets and cantilevers. The appearance of waves and undulations on each stack really stand out in a positive way and I like the parapet. I really am liking this render more each time I look at it.

The skybridge idea in an older proposal(which predated the Kushners acquiring the property) really seemed gimmicky to me, and I'm glad it's no longer part of the considerations. I just hope someone who attended the Planning Board meeting tonight can give us the basics about what was presented and the reactions to it.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 1:00 PM
Show me the blueprints

The waves are the paper not the design, good heavens...

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 1:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
The waves are the paper not the design, good heavens...
Take a look past the diagram on the paper, though it looks so oddly folded... look at the actual rendering...waves there too. Doesn't appear to be any on the lowest stack level or the base, but most definitely on the other two on the middle and top levels. If you look at those middle and upper levels, there ARE waves, undulations, curves.

Last edited by citybooster; Sep 27, 2017 at 2:09 PM.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:12 PM

I thought about going to the planning meeting -- went to get a few beers and overpriced food in Hoboken instead. lol

Old Posted Sep 27, 2017, 3:53 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
I thought about going to the planning meeting -- went to get a few beers and overpriced food in Hoboken instead. lol
Have to avoid the Hoboken bars. Rip offs. I don't mind paying over 10 for a drink, but it better be very strong and not watered down. Avoid the bars were everyone goes too and are packed. Those tend to be the rip-offs and garbage bars. The local ones, on the side streets, are the best IMO.

If your ever in Newark, stop by McGoverns. Best bar in all of NJ.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 2:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citybooster View Post
Hopefully after tonight's Planning Board meeting, someone can give us a definitive number for the heights, be it actually 849 ft. or 758ft, also counting the 91 ft elevation. Generally not a fan of cantilevered stuff but it looks a bit more interesting than the original plans.
What I posted above are the official drawings submitted to the planning board. Doesn't get more definitive than that.

Quote:
The appearance of waves and undulations on each stack really stand out in a positive way and I like the parapet.
Unfortunately, as someone said, the waves are from the paper. The drawings were huge and hard to flatten out. Sorry for that! The design actually involves three flat rectangular tower sections that rotate as they go up, like steps on a spiral staircase.

Quote:
I wouldn't bet against you. This must be some kind of record for site plan approvals from the planning board

Last edited by Hamilton; Sep 28, 2017 at 2:39 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 3:03 AM

Thank you for the update, Hamilton... 758 ft is a bit shorter than I like but two at that height along with Journal Squared's second and largest tower at 759 ft will add substantial height to the skyline nonetheless. I do still like the design though I'm glad you cleared up the curves thing... would have looked really nice with little twists and waves, though to give it a bit more snap.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 3:29 AM

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 3:33 AM

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...ive_plann.html

Revised plans for One Journal Square, the $800 million, two-tower Kushner Companies project slated for a plot of land outside the Journal Square PATH hub, were approved unanimously by the Jersey City Planning Board last night.

"It's about time we got something built in Journal Square," said board member Arnold Bettinger, a former councilman in the area.

"We need to get this done," said board member Orlando Gonzalez. "I've seen I don't know how many iterations of this."

The project received approval from the Planning Board in August 2016. Those plans have been revised and now include two 56-story towers on top of a 10-story podium and housing a total of 1,512 residential units plus retail and office space. The towers will rise 758 feet high.

Jon Baker, who lives on Newark Avenue, said he has views of the two Trump towers to the east and will have views of Kushner's One Journal Square to the west.

"My concern is that two more Minecraft obelisks to autocracy will not only be damaging to our community's psyche, they're also going to lower our property and resale values," Baker said. "They'll be eyesores, constant reminders of western civilization in decline and as a result damaging to the mental health of our great city's immigrant community."

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2...ive_plann.html

Revised plans for One Journal Square, the $800 million, two-tower Kushner Companies project slated for a plot of land outside the Journal Square PATH hub, were approved unanimously by the Jersey City Planning Board last night.

"It's about time we got something built in Journal Square," said board member Arnold Bettinger, a former councilman in the area.

"We need to get this done," said board member Orlando Gonzalez. "I've seen I don't know how many iterations of this."

The project received approval from the Planning Board in August 2016. Those plans have been revised and now include two 56-story towers on top of a 10-story podium and housing a total of 1,512 residential units plus retail and office space. The towers will rise 758 feet high.

Jon Baker, who lives on Newark Avenue, said he has views of the two Trump towers to the east and will have views of Kushner's One Journal Square to the west.

"My concern is that two more Minecraft obelisks to autocracy will not only be damaging to our community's psyche, they're also going to lower our property and resale values," Baker said. "They'll be eyesores, constant reminders of western civilization in decline and as a result damaging to the mental health of our great city's immigrant community."
Jon Baker can shut his piehole... oh, we've got to hold his hand, it's too much a monument to autocracy to handle...what pretentious, entitled manure! Even frakking Rich Boggiano is on board on this...and as if the weed and garbage infested huge empty lot wasn't eyesore enough, THESE towers would constitute an eyesore???????? What a joke! They're actually a significant improvement looking at these collective renderings from the one voted through last year... PLEASE just come January, 2018...let's get this done!!!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 1:01 PM
Show me the blueprints

Quote:
"They'll be eyesores, constant reminders of western civilization in decline and as a result damaging to the mental health of our great city's immigrant community."
Wait...what?

Look I think Jared is a creepy crooked son of a bitch, that like his wife and father-in-law, has no business in the WH, but as far as this being what this author claims...? GMAFB

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Last edited by Busy Bee; Sep 29, 2017 at 4:31 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 6:10 PM

I think the new design is fugly. But if it means them FINALLY building something here... I'll take it.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 6:22 PM

I just don't believe it -- too many times I've gotten excited and nothing.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2017, 10:21 PM
Show me the blueprints

_

Why they felt they needed to improve on this is beyond me...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Skyscraper & Highrise Construction