HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 1:21 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

[Moncton] East (Harrisville, Lewisville, Tankville, Irishtown) Developments

This will serve as a placeholder for future discussions about development issues in the northeastern section of the City of Moncton.

- New Fairfield Inn and Suites to be built at the northwest corner of the Harrisville Blvd/Veterans Highway interchange:

Old Posted Mar 14, 2012, 1:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Previously posted on the Moncton Thread:

Royal Oaks Estates Expansion and Moncton High School Relocation

Quote:
A few screen captures I took tonight from the TV broadcast of Moncton City Council deliberations showing the plans for the north section of Royal Oaks (to the north of the golf course), showing where the new high school will be located.

The light coloured block of land in the centre of the development will be the site of the new high school. In the first image, there is a green coloured strip of land bounding the east part of the high school property. This will apparently be part of the city's trail network and will connect to the Irishtown Nature Park. The developer plans to have an "academic gateway" to the nature park leading directly off the school property.

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 2:55 PM
Our Tide is Rising

The "McBuns" strip mall at the bottom of Shediac Rd. has signs up that show it will expand...they will double the size of the current building. The expantion will stretch it in the direction of downtown.

They will also add another seperate building which will be closer to the street...

The two buildings together will form an "L" shape like this: """""||

Old Posted Mar 17, 2012, 5:00 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

This map is part of the "Future Land Use Map" from the "Plan Moncton" document. It covers the Harrisville/Lewisville area.

Two things of note that I found interesting:

(1) - The entire south side of the TCH opposite the Caledonia Industrial Park will be designated "Highway Commercial" (coloured red).

(2) - There will be a section designated "Mixed Use Commercial" (coloured orange) on the southern end of Harrisville Blvd adjacent to the Rt 15 interchange. This is where the Fairfield Inn is being built and also encompasses the rumoured location of a new retail plaza anchored by a Sobeys. This land (on the northeast corner of the Rt 15/Harrisville interchange is already owned by PlazaCorp.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 3:28 PM
real estate blogger

In the proposed 2012 City of Moncton Municipal Plan - Schedule A-5 - Future Roads Map - the blue dotted lines are interesting.
(The yellow dotted line is the serviceable boundary)

Last edited by monctonian; Mar 19, 2012 at 4:00 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 6:57 PM

Wow, look at Hennesay. That's quite the extension!
I see there's nothing indicating an Onramp/Offramp for McLaughlin.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 7:25 PM

There was a map of future intersections and ramps on the citys website and it showed and exit/on ramp for Mclaughlin but that was a few years ago. I can't see why they would change from that plan. Everyday, the need for those ramps at that location increases...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 8:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post

I would say it's even a bigger extension for MacAleese.

I wonder if anyone has informed the residents of the street yet!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2012, 11:46 PM

All of that room with those extended streets and yet Moncton High will sit outside of this map to the north...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 2:51 AM
Moderator / Supervillain

I think the most interesting thing to take from that map are the 'tentative streets' in light grey. You can see a few in the Shediac Rd/Harrisvill area, but it's unbelievable how many new streets are proposed in the North End.

As usual, there will certainly be people who are upset when their 'local' roads gradually become more and more important. I expect the city does things like this partly so that they can say that the plan has been on the books for years.

I'm curious what kind of input the city gets to make when it comes to road alignment in private developments, or are the roads the map suggests just potential routes? It would be very costly for the city to build that many roads.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylesmalley View Post
You can see a few in the Shediac Rd/Harrisvill area, but it's unbelievable how many new streets are proposed in the North End.

As usual, there will certainly be people who are upset when their 'local' roads gradually become more and more important. I expect the city does things like this partly so that they can say that the plan has been on the books for years.

I'm curious what kind of input the city gets to make when it comes to road alignment in private developments, or are the roads the map suggests just potential routes? It would be very costly for the city to build that many roads.
Looks like they're preparing to take a bit of pressure off Elmwood...

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 12:00 PM
real estate blogger

Quote:

I see there's nothing indicating an Onramp/Offramp for McLaughlin.
The dotted blue line indicating a future collector street currently starts out off Elmwood Drive as Price Street.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I would say it's even a bigger extension for MacAleese.
From the current end of MacAleese crossing the main railroad line, Humphreys Brook and the major trunk sewer line from Caledonia Industrial Park with a collector street would indeed be a sizeable project.

Quote:
All of that room with those extended streets and yet Moncton High will sit outside of this map to the north...

One of the potential sites identified by the province was in the Humphreys Brook Trail area. There is well over 300 acres yet to be developed between Humphreys Brook, the Shediac Road and the Grove Hamlet area.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2012, 12:07 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by monctonian View Post
One of the potential sites identified by the province was in the Humphreys Brook Trail area. There is well over 300 acres yet to be developed between Humphreys Brook, the Shediac Road and the Grove Hamlet area.
This would by far be a better location for the new MHS.......

Old Posted Apr 17, 2012, 2:53 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

From today's T&T

Public consultation planned
Tuesday, April 17, 2012
Times & Transcript

The City of Moncton Parks and Leisure Services invites all residents to a public consultation meeting tonight at Forest Glen School located at 45 Keenan Dr. at 7 p.m. to discuss the proposed design for a new park on Ellerdale Avenue. In the case of inclement weather, the meeting will take place tomorrow at 7 p.m., at the same location.

This is your chance to share your ideas with the Parks and Leisure staff for a new park in your area. The goal is to get a sense of how the park space could be used, which may include play equipment, a trail, seating and more. There will be a brief presentation followed by an opportunity to share feedback one on one with staff.

This public consultation is part of the implementation of the City of Moncton's Recreation Master Plan.

http://22864.vws.magma.ca/index.php?&article_id=8793

Old Posted May 8, 2012, 8:44 PM
Our Tide is Rising

The "for lease" signs have been removed from the old Blockbuster on Elmwood...not sure whats going on though.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 1:52 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I wonder what the current status is for the proposed McLaughlin Plaza on the corner of McLaughlin Drive and Morton Avenue?

http://www.mclaughlinplace.com/com-mclaughlin-plaza.htm

The developer is the Seville Property Group, who have also developed the adjacent and successful Mclaughlin Place Apartments. With the apartments nearby, a high traffic location and the adjacent Moncton Stadium and the Universite de Moncton, one would think that this would be an attractive location but there has been nothing heard about this project for at least a year.

I suppose with all of the activity in northwest Moncton and in uptown Dieppe, there may be challenges in finding tenants, but it would be nice to know the current status of this project. This appears to be a much more attractive commercial plaza than most. I hope it gets built.

Old Posted May 21, 2012, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I suppose with all of the activity in northwest Moncton and in uptown Dieppe, there may be challenges in finding tenants, but it would be nice to know the current status of this project. This appears to be a much more attractive commercial plaza than most. I hope it gets built.
That and the fact there are plenty of spaces for rent on Elmwood that currently sit empty. The old Price Chopper, Lawton's, Quizno's, Blockbuster & a couple other little spots in that mini-mall. Some of these spots might have to fill up before there's enough demand, unfortunately. At least Morton Pub has been utilized.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:22 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
That and the fact there are plenty of spaces for rent on Elmwood that currently sit empty. The old Price Chopper, Lawton's, Quizno's, Blockbuster & a couple other little spots in that mini-mall. Some of these spots might have to fill up before there's enough demand, unfortunately. At least Morton Pub has been utilized.
True enough, the lower part of Elmwood certainly "hollowed out" somewhat when the new Sobeys and Lawtons were built closer to the TCH, but we all predicted this when the new stores were announced. We knew that the old Price Chopper and the old Lawtons were doomed. The loss of Blockbuster and other smaller enterprises like the Quiznos certainly exascerbated things.

The thing is that a brand new plaza in a slightly different location most likely would have an advantage in attracting new tenants over vacant space in a slightly dodgier part of the neighbourhood. If I were a small business owner looking for space in the Elmwood area, I think I would look more favourably upon McLaughlin Place over some of the vacant spaces on lower Elmwood.

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 2:50 PM

I believe the McLaughlin Plaza project would flourish nicely if the Halls Creek Villages (Vision Lands) could ever come to fruition.

And it wouldn't hurt if UdeM Stadium would start hosting more major events. They should rename this place Spider Stadium. I'm sure the seats are filled with cobweb galore!

www.hallscreek.ca

Old Posted May 22, 2012, 8:22 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good find Budyser. Hall's Creek Village has updated their website again and now we have an even better idea what the street layout will look like.

I'm of two minds regarding this development. When you look at the proposed street layout, this would appear to be an ultra low density housing development, but I like the high quality of the development, and the green design of the buildings. The fact that there will be a mix of single family homes, multi unit residences and commercial nodes should give this development a sense of urbanity lacking in most cookie cutter subdivisions, especially when you see proposed building designs such as these:

This is the most current proposed layout for "village one"

I appreciate the layout of village one, and although it will connect up to village two and village three, it appears that the only way to get to village four and village five as well as on to Mapleton Road will be by the Crowley Farm Road. I think this is regrettable. I think there should be better interconnectivity between the different nodes of this development. The lack of direct connections will be a hindrance to pedestrian traffic (unless there are interconnecting walkways and bicycle paths). There likely will be (I can't imagine they would overlook this), but it would be nice to see confirmation on the site plan.

What do other people think?

Last edited by MonctonRad; May 22, 2012 at 9:05 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces