HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 8:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
October CDR Submissions

1650 W. Girard Avenue
-Located in Francisville neighborhood
-7-story mixed-use project with 192 residential units, and ground floor commercial/retail
PDF here:
https://www.phila.gov/media/20200930...age_Update.pdf
I'm very excited about this project! My girl and I live in the southwestern portion of Francisville, which is the most heavily revitalized. The northeastern portion of the neighborhood is approaching the late stage of "up-and-coming" and will eventually cross the threshold to reach the "revitalized" status. This project will go a long way in ensuring that! Not only will this project bring new life to Girard Ave, but it will also intensify the rebirth of Ridge Avenue, which has many large projects rising at the moment. I love the energy in this neighborhood, and I'm hoping that packing so many new residents into the neighborhood will eventually bring us a restaurant and/or some kind of new bar!

Also, this project will also help push the wave of revitalization north into the southern edge of Templetown/Cecil B. Moore, which has hosted many single-family homes, condos, and apartments buildings geared towards young professionals rather than Temple students.

I keep telling people that Francisville has the potential to be the next Fishtown: like Fishtown, we have great access to transit, an easy walk to adjacent neigborhoods that offer dining and entertainment (Fairmount and Spring Garden), three mixed-use corridors (Fairmount, Ridge, and North Broad), and an abundance of young families that have moved in. Unlike Fishtown, we're a much quicker walk to Center City, are closer to cultural institutions, and have ample access to Fairmount Park!

Temple University '18 ']['

Old Posted Sep 30, 2020, 10:37 PM
Brooklyn/Philly/Nashvegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
I'll answer my own question.

The Moxy East Village is a 311 room hotel that was recently completed in the East Village/LES (garbage location by NY standards).
The East Village and even the LES are far from "garbage locations" by NY standards. Also, the Moxy EV is NOT on the LES, it's in the Union Square area (ergo, barely even the East Village) and 2 blocks from Facebook's NYC Corporate headquarters and convenient to any number of NYU dorms and Cooper Union.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FtGreeneNY View Post
The East Village and even the LES are far from "garbage locations" by NY standards. Also, the Moxy EV is NOT on the LES, it's in the Union Square area (ergo, barely even the East Village) and 2 blocks from Facebook's NYC Corporate headquarters and convenient to any number of NYU dorms and Cooper Union.
I stand corrected on the particular location of this hotel. For some reason, I was picturing this hotel in my head as being in that gaggle of development approaching the Williamsburg Bridge where the new Essex Market development is. And yes, that is a garbage location.

The LES and the Eastern end of the East Village are not ideal places for tourists to stay. There is no subway nearby.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 11:40 AM

Many people used to consider the Lower East Side as running up to 14th street (before the East Village was a thing) so you were correct under some definitions, 3rd&Brown. Anyway, this is not the place for NYC neighborhood talk.

Last edited by eixample; Oct 1, 2020 at 5:42 PM.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 12:58 PM

Where this hotel is actually located in NYC and whether or not it is a desirable location is honestly irrelevant. The important factors are the room rates and # of rooms, which according to 3rd&Brown are comparable, and the cost to build each hotel, which was apparently more than 2x as expensive for the NYC hotel.

If these facts are correct, then construction costs are not the burden some developers make them out to be and the excuse for the terribly value engineered southern wall of this project is non - existant.

Old Posted Oct 1, 2020, 2:16 PM

I think what is particularly good news about that Girard project is that it is phase two of the 'Civic'. Phase one was converting the former hospital into apartments. They must have had success leasing to move ahead with phase two. Great the hospital parking lot is getting a dense development.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 9:15 PM
Brooklyn/Philly/Nashvegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
And yes, that is a garbage location.

The LES and the Eastern end of the East Village are not ideal places for tourists to stay. There is no subway nearby.
I generally take issue with places where actual people live and work being characterized as "garbage."

That said, this is simply still not true. The Delancey-Essex stop (F, J, M, Z) is essentially at the base of the Williamsburg Bridge, the East Broadway Station (F, Fx) is b/w the Williamsburg and Manhattan Bridges, Grand-Chrystie (B, D) is on the western end of that area abutting Chinatown, ergo the area b/w the bridges and east of Chrystie has direct access to 7 lines (out of 24).

Further, that area has been getting far more than its share of hotels, condos, new rentals, and Trader Joe's for the better part of the last decade.

Old Posted Oct 2, 2020, 9:19 PM

Pointy Building Coming Soon at 2nd & Germantown

Rendering 1:

Rendering 2:

Current site and surrounding construction:

Current site and surrounding construction:

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...2nd-germantown

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 6:53 PM

Big Changes Coming For Liberties Walk, Starting With a New Eight Story Building

Aerial of Building 1 replacing stretch between N. American St. and Bodine St., and Building 2 replacing stretch between Bodine St. and N. 3rd St.:

Rendering of Building 1 replacing stretch between N. American St. and Bodine St.:

Another Rendering of Building 1 replacing stretch between N. American St. and Bodine St.:

Rendering of Building 2 replacing stretch between Bodine St. and N. 3rd St.:

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...story-building

Old Posted Oct 3, 2020, 6:57 PM

Another project for Washington Ave!

Plans Have Changed at 16th & Carpenter, Maybe They’ll Get Move Forward This Time

Aerial view of project:

Massing of project:

Rendering of townhomes fronting 16th and Carpenter:

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...e-forward-time

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 3:04 PM

New Apartments Coming Soon to Lehigh Avenue, With Gas Station Views

Rendering 1:

Rendering 2:

Current site:

Construction across the street:

Read more here:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-phill...-station-views

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 3:06 PM

69 Units Proposed in Point Breeze

Read more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/69-unit...-point-breeze/

Old Posted Oct 6, 2020, 3:10 PM

179-Unit Building Proposed For 1705 North American Street In Norris Square, North Philadelphia

Read more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/10/179-...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 3:50 PM

150 Units + Fresh Food Market Planned in Olde Richmond

Rendering 1:

Rendering 2:

Current site:

Read more here:
http://www.rising.realestate/150-uni...olde-richmond/

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 4:54 PM

Residential Building Planned For 1700-30 North Howard Street In Norris Square, North Philadelphia

Read more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/10/resi...ladelphia.html

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 4:55 PM

180-Unit Edgewater Apartments Proposed For 230 North 23rd Street In Logan Square, Center City

Read more here:
https://phillyyimby.com/2020/10/seve...nter-city.html

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
You know what? I'm fine with this. The design isn't horrendous and the development itself is relatively dense. I'll take it over the highrise originally intended for the lot.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 10:33 PM
Fishtown & Country

Thurs, 10/8

2nd & Wood Sts. On the lot where McGarry jewelers had been, for years, in a one-story.

Front St just off Girard

Old Posted Oct 8, 2020, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blart View Post
Thurs, 10/8

2nd & Wood Sts. On the lot where McGarry jewelers had been, for years, in a one-story.

I always thought this was a bizarro place in the city. I've never had any reason to go to the area sandwiched by 95 and the bridge, and I don't think I ever will.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
180-Unit Edgewater Apartments Proposed For 230 North 23rd Street In Logan Square, Center City

Moot point, but is there a reason the highway ramps need to swing so far south here? Extending Summer St. (or a real Winter) would make this feel more connected.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development