HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 5:20 PM
Majestic

I found this one a little interesting (as a guy who worked with this kinda stuff up until about a half year ago).

The map below shows the state of township plans in 1929. Every township (the small squares on the map, which can be further broken down into sections and quarter-sections) which is shaded in had an existing or preliminary township plan in place on January 1st, 1929. Much of the unshaded land is crown land and still don't have township plans to this date.

If you follow the link, you can actually zoom a fair bit into the map and see a lot of detail.

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/nmc/n0043265.pdf

Flickr

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris2k7 View Post
I found this one a little interesting (as a guy who worked with this kinda stuff up until about a half year ago).

The map below shows the state of township plans in 1929. Every township (the small squares on the map, which can be further broken down into sections and quarter-sections) which is shaded in had an existing or preliminary township plan in place on January 1st, 1929. Much of the unshaded land is crown land and still don't have township plans to this date.

If you follow the link, you can actually zoom a fair bit into the map and see a lot of detail.

http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/nmc/n0043265.pdf
I wonder why the Dominion Government picked a correction line to be the border between SK and MB and a meridian of longitude to be the borders between SK and AB and AB and BC (at least the northern part).
It is sad to see all the rail-lines that once criss-crossed the prairies are now gone. Some of the railbeds remain but it would take a lot of work to get them back up to speed. Although if the feds were looking for a MAJOR INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECT................

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I wonder why the Dominion Government picked a correction line to be the border between SK and MB and a meridian of longitude to be the borders between SK and AB and AB and BC (at least the northern part).
Between MB and SK it's actually a correction line up to more or less around Pukatawagan MB (2/3 of the way north), and then for the final 1/3 it's a longitude line.

I swear, looking at a MB highway map, the discordance between the jagged correction line and the smooth meridian line triggers some kind of latent OCD impulses in me.

Quote:
It is sad to see all the rail-lines that once criss-crossed the prairies are now gone. Some of the railbeds remain but it would take a lot of work to get them back up to speed. Although if the feds were looking for a MAJOR INFRASTRUCTURE PROJECT................
The lines are gone for good... in many ways rail serves customers better now than 100 years ago. My grandfather would have taken literally hours to haul grain by horse-drawn cart for the relatively short distance to the nearest elevator. These days the nearest rail line is much farther away from the old family farm, but the time it takes to get there and back is a fraction of what it once was thanks to (semi) modern rural highways.

I just can't see those old rural branchlines ever coming back.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Between MB and SK it's actually a correction line up to more or less around Pukatawagan MB (2/3 of the way north), and then for the final 1/3 it's a longitude line.

I swear, looking at a MB highway map, the discordance between the jagged correction line and the smooth meridian line triggers some kind of latent OCD impulses in me.

The lines are gone for good... in many ways rail serves customers better now than 100 years ago. My grandfather would have taken literally hours to haul grain by horse-drawn cart for the relatively short distance to the nearest elevator. These days the nearest rail line is much farther away from the old family farm, but the time it takes to get there and back is a fraction of what it once was thanks to (semi) modern rural highways.

I just can't see those old rural branchlines ever coming back.
Oh I know they aren't coming back, although riding the train is a very plesant experience.

The initial concept of settlement was that each elevator (or group of elevators) would be far enough apart so that the farthest farmer would be able to take a load of grain to the elevator and then return within a day. All of those elevators, sidings and even towns are gone now. I'm old enough to remember riding in the truck with dad as he took a load of grain to Rhodes Siding, which was 5 miles from the farm, Ninga was 7 miles, and Killarney is 10miles. Rhodes is gone now, the Hutterites own the Ninga elevator and Killarney has 2 wooden elevators left (the last one was built when I was 18 years old) but there are 3 modern grain terminals there now.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 10:06 PM

Old Posted Feb 5, 2016, 10:13 PM

The very first thing that comes up when you GoogleMap Killarney is this wooden UGG grain elevator:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ki...4eef80!6m1!1e1

I am guessing your family farm was close to the Hwy 3, nearly due west of Killarney. Or else it was due north of Rhodes. Those would be at first sight the only areas that satisfy your three distance requirements.

I always find it interesting to discover new areas like that -- Google Maps and Google Streetview are an amazing tool.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
The very first thing that comes up when you GoogleMap Killarney is this wooden UGG grain elevator:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ki...4eef80!6m1!1e1

I am guessing your family farm was close to the Hwy 3, nearly due west of Killarney. Or else it was due north of Rhodes. Those would be at first sight the only areas that satisfy your three distance requirements.

I always find it interesting to discover new areas like that -- Google Maps and Google Streetview are an amazing tool.
You're pretty good a figuring that out. North of Rhodes on Rowland Church Road 4 miles and a mile east. Big red hip roofed barn on a hill.
In town there used to be 2 Manitoba Pool Elevators to the right of the UGG elevator. To the left, there was a coal shed, Creamery, CPR train station and then a Paterson Elevator. Don't know how much longer the UGG elevator will last though.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2016, 9:37 AM

Various proposals for Alberta/Saskatchewan:

http://www.canadiangeographic.ca/mag...5/alacarte.asp

Old Posted Feb 8, 2016, 4:47 AM
Starring as himself

Those are very interesting maps of Windsor - thanks for posting.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Those are very interesting maps of Windsor - thanks for posting.
You're welcome! I know Windsor doesn't make much of an appearance here.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 7:23 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symz View Post
You're welcome! I know Windsor doesn't make much of an appearance here.
I've heard that the Windsor area, prior to WWII or so, was more like a series of industrial towns and cities built around factories and that there's still a large network of freight lines that criss-cross the city between these sites. Sort of like Kitchener-Waterloo but probably with more early manufacturing development.

This map is from 1923 and shows the multi-nodal development pattern. The largest developed part is labelled "Ojibway"; I'm not sure if that was really the most built-up part of the city back then or if those are just new areas that were planned at the time.

http://devilsapricot.com/archives/232

During the 1920-1940 period, Detroit was the fourth largest city in the US.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 7:35 PM
Starring as himself

That is interesting.

It is similar to Sault Ste. Marie, where the steel plant was in the separate town of Steelton, with along with company-built working-class neighbourhoods. The area is still called that but was long ago absorbed into the city. Big manufacturing and industrial companies weren't necessarily that keen on paying local taxes so they created their own towns in those days.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
I've heard that the Windsor area, prior to WWII or so, was more like a series of industrial towns and cities built around factories and that there's still a large network of freight lines that criss-cross the city between these sites. Sort of like Kitchener-Waterloo but probably with more early manufacturing development.

This map is from 1923 and shows the multi-nodal development pattern. The largest developed part is labelled "Ojibway"; I'm not sure if that was really the most built-up part of the city back then or if those are just new areas that were planned at the time.

Great fine Someone, that map is very interesting. The area labelled "Ojibway", was supposed to be one of the biggest residential developments in the city, but it never came to pass, now much of the area is now protected natural areas and parks. Some parts of the area still have old sidewalks that were put in, but the streets and houses were never built, and the forest regrew around it.

http://www.internationalmetropolis.c.../ojibway-1919/

Old Posted Feb 14, 2016, 8:18 PM

Quote:

Great find Someone, that map is very interesting. The area labelled "Ojibway", was supposed to be one of the biggest residential developments in the city, but it never came to pass, now much of the area is now protected natural areas and parks. Some parts of the area still have old sidewalks that were put in, but the streets and houses were never built, and the forest regrew around it. Windsor Raceway was eventually built on the southern edge.

http://www.internationalmetropolis.c.../ojibway-1919/

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 4:28 PM

Quote:

(...)

I have to admit I've never been to Windsor so the place is a bit of a mystery to me, but that strikes me as a pretty reasonable explanation for why Windsor seems so spread out relative to other Ontario cities which appear a lot more centralized.

In some respects, it's curious that Windsor didn't become bigger and more significant in the Canadian context given that it was across the river from one of the greatest and most prosperous manufacturing cities in the world, certainly for the first half of the 20th century. I realize that trade didn't flow freely across borders in those days, but given how big Detroit was you'd think there might have been more of a spillover effect.

Old Posted Feb 20, 2016, 5:22 PM
Moran supreme

Canadian Pacific Railway Subdivision chart courtesy Atlas of Alberta Railways - more than half of these rail lines are probably gone now and a surprising number of towns/hamlets as well. Be forewarned, this is a large image...

Link to Atlas of Alberta Railways' maps and charts page.

P.S.: Could someone message me if there is a way in these forums to resize a linked image in BBCode, I tried a few things and nothing worked.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2020, 10:00 PM

I would love to get my hands on that Windsor map, does anyone know of a good place to find map prints for walls? I found one, but I'm trying to find more obscure locales, ideally in Canada, and preferably BC. Adding the link to a vintage map resource I found, but there has got to be more. Ideas much appreciated?https://cartolina.com/collections/po...dseye-view-map

Last edited by awrsmith; Nov 29, 2020 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Image not showing

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada