HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post

unfortunately true, especially at the junction of Oxfart and Wonderbread roads.
Lmao, I service safety systems in Drewlo buildings and this is true. That entire block at Oxford/Wonderland, they own all but the 2 buildings in front of the Timmies, which is owned by Old Oak I think.

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djeffery View Post
Lets just go with one of the small town names we absorbed. Hyde Park, Lambeth, Byron. Because people east of Wharncliffe don't already have a complex lol.
Lol, one town that comes to mind is Arva. How have they remained their own independent town so close to London, and still haven't been annexed? Lambeth is technically further away

Old Posted May 31, 2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post
Lol, one town that comes to mind is Arva. How have they remained their own independent town so close to London, and still haven't been annexed? Lambeth is technically further away
They'll be next lol. I don't think back in the early 90's when the last annexation happened, that the city figured the north would be so in demand. I don't think the city wanted as much land to the south as we got, but I think Middlesex county argued if we were taking as much as we were, we might as well take everything to the county line. Hard to imagine that we only had a little of the area south of the 401, the Costco wasn't even in the city back then.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 2:31 PM
Closed account

My suggestion for re-branding:

Berlin, Ontario.

The name is unused. Memories of the Kaiser have faded. Keeps the theme of using another place's name intact.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 2:32 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave46 View Post
My suggestion for re-branding:

Berlin, Ontario.

The name is unused. Memories of the Kaiser have faded. Keeps the theme of using another place's name intact.
That was Kitchener's old name. We will be confused.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2020, 2:33 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
That was Kitchener's old name. We will be confused.
That's the joke.

Old Posted Jun 2, 2020, 12:45 PM

The former township of Westminster was annex by London.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westmi...ounty,_Ontario

For a number of reasons including the fact that the City dump was located there. Made it a challenge for the City to have to negotiate with another municipality.

Because of the dump and the smells it generates the large piece of land now inside the city boundaries south to the county line will stay as farmland. A good thing. But the reverse of that is development pressure has been to the north and west where the city is built out to the city boundary with Middlesex county.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyeman200 View Post

Old Posted Sep 29, 2020, 9:13 PM

This conversation comes along every 20 years in the city. "Should we rename London" has become part of the local culture. I remember back in the 1970s there was a push to rename the city.

Old Posted Oct 14, 2020, 7:01 PM

I like New London. Strive to become the New York City of Canada, has an ambitious ring to it.

To answer OP's question:

Demolish CitiPlaza or most of it and redevelop it into a more walkable, outdoor area with 20-40 storey mix use buildings and one landmark 50+ storey tower.

LRT from Masonville mall, loop around Downtown, and down to White Oaks Mall along Wellington St. BRT on Oxford Rd from the Airport, to Fanshawe college and ends at Wonderland Rd.

Connect to Toronto and Detroit with High Speed Rail. Rebuild the VIA station into something larger with a food court and bar. Build a 40+ storey, mixed use tower in the empty lot across from it connected via bridge.

Extend the VMP to go along the North of London and connect to the 402 near Strathroy.

I can't see anything here happening unless London starts pushing 750K-1Million Pop.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario