HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 12:09 AM

[Dartmouth] 112-114 Wyse Road | 69 m | 20 fl | Proposed

I was going to post the rendering but Tumblr doesn't like me right now.

New proposal from Dunphy Wyse Road Developments for the former bank on the northeast corner of Wyse Road and Nantucket Avenue.

Case #22487 - 112-114 Wyse Road

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 1:13 AM
Closed account

Looks like this area is getting the Young/Robie treatment of some much-needed density and investment.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 2:08 AM
Halifax Promoter!

I really like this one..

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 3:59 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Here is one of the renderings:

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 4:10 AM

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 6:03 AM

I really hope someone opens an eatery called Right Ssäm Good.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 11:26 AM

Good luck with that having apparently zero parking in that location.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 12:05 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Looks like this area is getting the Young/Robie treatment of some much-needed density and investment.
Come to think of it, this is right next to a major bus terminal, a 10-15 min walk to the ferry and soon to be along new bike infrastructure on Wyse and the bridge. With so much underused land here, this whole area is prime for some change.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 2:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pblaauw View Post
I really hope someone opens an eatery called Right Ssäm Good.
hundred percent

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 2:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Good luck with that having apparently zero parking in that location.
Landscape plans don't appear to show any spots at grade, except vague labeling of "existing parking lot" adjacent to the developed area (to the southeast). I took a look at Google Maps, and it looks like there's 130+/- spots between this site and the adjacent Sportsplex... more to the northeast between this proposal/Sportsplex and the transit bridge terminal. Probably not wise to count to heavily on parking provided by adjacent property.

104 spots in the interior of the building.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 3:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastal View Post
Landscape plans don't appear to show any spots at grade, except vague labeling of "existing parking lot" adjacent to the developed area (to the southeast). I took a look at Google Maps, and it looks like there's 130+/- spots between this site and the adjacent Sportsplex... more to the northeast between this proposal/Sportsplex and the transit bridge terminal. Probably not wise to count to heavily on parking provided by adjacent property.

104 spots in the interior of the building.
All the surface parking there is either rented or allocated to the Sportsplex to my knowledge.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atbw View Post
Come to think of it, this is right next to a major bus terminal, a 10-15 min walk to the ferry and soon to be along new bike infrastructure on Wyse and the bridge. With so much underused land here, this whole area is prime for some change.
Also across the street from an amazing Montreal Bagel shop! And literally next door to the Sportsplex. And walking distance to downtown Dartmouth as well. Pretty great location in a lot of ways. Except that it will stand alone in a desert of strip malls and surface parking. But perhaps the area will fill in over time. I'm hoping Young / Robie / Windsor will fill in over time as well. Really great looking building. Bummer that not all units have balconies though. Looks like the Bachelors will be balcony-less.

Old Posted Aug 15, 2019, 11:07 PM

The parking to the east belongs to HRM and is part of the Dartmouth Common and the parking revenue goes to the Sportsplex.
The lot is just 92 feet wide and is narrower at Wyse.
This design appears to show the building footprint as filling the 2 lots.
The land to the west belongs to HRM as part of the roadway and sidewalk.
What was the Scotiabank sign marked the edge of the commercial property.
In the Centre Plan the sidewalk and the grassy area is zoned C and I have pointed out to staff that their map incorrectly zones a portion.
This map shows the public space may be retained but the proponent has talked with HRM re purchasing or leasing the space for patios or streetscaping.
: https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...4_Redacted.pdf
Registered Office for the company 112 Wyse Road Partnership is a duplex on Walter Havill Drive and the partnership comprises the two Preszler brothers from Toronto and a related company is headed by Alex Dunphy at the Walter Havill Drive home.
Parking underground : 104 spaces

Last edited by Colin May; Aug 16, 2019 at 3:52 AM.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 7:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
The parking to the east belongs to HRM and is part of the Dartmouth Common and the parking revenue goes to the Sportsplex.
The lot is just 92 feet wide and is narrower at Wyse.
This design appears to show the building footprint as filling the 2 lots.
The land to the west belongs to HRM as part of the roadway and sidewalk.
What was the Scotiabank sign marked the edge of the commercial property.
In the Centre Plan the sidewalk and the grassy area is zoned C and I have pointed out to staff that their map incorrectly zones a portion.
This map shows the public space may be retained but the proponent has talked with HRM re purchasing or leasing the space for patios or streetscaping.
: https://www.halifax.ca/sites/default...4_Redacted.pdf
Registered Office for the company 112 Wyse Road Partnership is a duplex on Walter Havill Drive and the partnership comprises the two Preszler brothers from Toronto and a related company is headed by Alex Dunphy at the Walter Havill Drive home.
Parking underground : 104 spaces
Although a nice addition, that corner needs more parking, not a building where car/drivers will no doubt choose to park outside. Getting a spot to park to attend the Sportsplex will be nigh on impossible at times.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 7:50 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

I'm a fan. Has sort of an International Place (proposal) and Horizon III proposal by Micmac. I'd forgotten the Scotiabank closed so this was a bit of a surprise.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2019, 9:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JET View Post
Although a nice addition, that corner needs more parking, not a building where car/drivers will no doubt choose to park outside. Getting a spot to park to attend the Sportsplex will be nigh on impossible at times.
I wonder how much underground parking would be possible? Seems like a small footprint, though, so probably not much.

Overall I like the look for that corner. That once-vibrant area of Dartmouth has been a little too empty lot-ish in the last number of years - it definitely needs an upgrade.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 1:59 AM

104 parking spots in 3 underground parking levels

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 2:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I wonder how much underground parking would be possible? Seems like a small footprint, though, so probably not much.

Overall I like the look for that corner. That once-vibrant area of Dartmouth has been a little too empty lot-ish in the last number of years - it definitely needs an upgrade.
The property abuts the Dartmouth Common. The developer wants to buy/lease the space between the sign and Nantucket. The exit from the property to the north is on Common land and has legislated restrictions.
In the application the architect quotes outdated legislation. I wrote to him to detail the accurate parts of the legislation passed by the Dexter government.

https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...e-rd-dartmouth

The letter from the architect is here : https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...e-rd-dartmouth
note page 3 has the outdated/inaccurate reference to the Dartmouth Common legislation.
The Dartmouth Common Master Plan envisaged this corner returning to public ownership. The plan was 'adopted in principle' but HRM staff interpret the phrase to mean whatever they want it to mean.
In 1960 a planning consultant recommended that all land from Dartmouth High to Windmill Road be retained as green space.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Querce View Post
104 parking spots in 3 underground parking levels
Well this solves that dilemma...

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
The property abuts the Dartmouth Common. The developer wants to buy/lease the space between the sign and Nantucket. The exit from the property to the north is on Common land and has legislated restrictions.
In the application the architect quotes outdated legislation. I wrote to him to detail the accurate parts of the legislation passed by the Dexter government.

https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...e-rd-dartmouth

The letter from the architect is here : https://www.halifax.ca/business/plan...e-rd-dartmouth
note page 3 has the outdated/inaccurate reference to the Dartmouth Common legislation.
The Dartmouth Common Master Plan envisaged this corner returning to public ownership. The plan was 'adopted in principle' but HRM staff interpret the phrase to mean whatever they want it to mean.
In 1960 a planning consultant recommended that all land from Dartmouth High to Windmill Road be retained as green space.
Interesting, but those lands down from Dartmouth High have never really been used as 'green space' for as long as I can remember. Until the wooded area west of the football field was cut down to build a bus terminal, the only people using that area were DHS students who wanted to smoke up. Below the terminal, the land was used for the Dartmouth arena until it burnt down in the 1970s, after which the Sportsplex was built. The location for this building was a used car lot and now a bank.

Normally, I would be all for the commons being used as public land, and if the planning consultant had been able to gain traction with council in 1960, then it could have been converted and used as such. In its current configuration, however, it is quite cut off from public lands and thus a park would seem silly and out of place on that corner lot. A building such as this proposal is actually the best use that I can imagine for this land, and could possible set the tone for more such developments on other vacant lots in the area.

Here are some pics from the Municipal Archives showing how the area appeared in the 1960s - 1980s:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth