HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 9:18 PM

Augusta - 165 James St S, 14 and 26 Augusta St | ? | 6, 8 & 8 fl | Under Construction

To go before the DRP on June 10th

Mixed Use Development Pre-consultation (Site Plan)
Owner: Core Urban
Lintack Architects Inc.

https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/defaul...june102021.pdf

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 9:28 PM

Interesting , kind of backs onto their other u/c property (on Augusta)

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 9:49 PM

Core Urban's never built so high that they've ever used a crane, iirc. It would be nice to see something 10-11 floors there.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2021, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
Core Urban's never built so high that they've ever used a crane, iirc. It would be nice to see something 10-11 floors there.
Huge cost savings to avoid use of a crane. That seems to be Core Urban's mantra. Go within zoning allowances to avoid lengthy expensive fights with the city. Keep it within ground crane height at maximum.

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:07 AM

Got to figure it's going to be something pushing the yield of building height with no crane. It's an IMPARK lot, and they're not known to be selling lots cheaply.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:12 AM

The Augusta project is also going to be wood frame from what I remember, which will be a bit different.

It’s also their first new build - it’ll be interesting to see the direction they go with further new builds.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftbeerdad View Post
Got to figure it's going to be something pushing the yield of building height with no crane. It's an IMPARK lot, and they're not known to be selling lots cheaply.
I guess it makes sense that this lot is being developed by Core Urban, it is the same lot as the 14-18 Augusta site. They must have bought the whole property from Impark.

I'm more curious if this one will be another faux-heritage. Or if they're going to go modern this time.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:32 AM

Yay!

This is the lot between the retirement home and the Medical Arts building, yeah?

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:40 AM
It's a nickname from work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Awesomesauce View Post
Yay!

This is the lot between the retirement home and the Medical Arts building, yeah?
Yep, that's the place. Hopefully they can do something to make the streetwall continuous.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
The Augusta project is also going to be wood frame from what I remember, which will be a bit different.

It’s also their first new build - it’ll be interesting to see the direction they go with further new builds.
Wood frame is about half the cost of concrete. So something about 2.5x taller would be required to hit the same price point.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 2:08 AM

As TheRitsman has pointed out in another thread, the 165 James Street South lot actually extends to include the corner of Augusta and Hughson. So this project may actually be on Augusta. I guess we'll find out next week!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 5:52 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHonestMaple View Post
I guess it makes sense that this lot is being developed by Core Urban, it is the same lot as the 14-18 Augusta site. They must have bought the whole property from Impark.

I'm more curious if this one will be another faux-heritage. Or if they're going to go modern this time.
It would be really nice to see something that looks like a cousin of Templar Flats.

My wife and I took a walk to Big Scoops a few nights ago (Duke at James). We live on a side street off Locke between Main and Aberdeen... walked there along Bold, Park, and Duke, then came home via James, Robinson, the HAAA grounds and Charlton. We both noticed a lot of things we never have before when driving through, both the interesting and the peculiar. We'll be doing more walks like that! And I really must start taking photos and posting them, even if just with my mobile phone.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 10:23 PM

Maybe we get lucky and the development includes two buildings, one on Augusta and one on James

I mean, it's actually likely. An empty parking lot doesn't do much for Core Urban. I doubt they'll leave any part of this plot of land empty.

Last edited by TheHonestMaple; Jun 4, 2021 at 10:43 PM.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 10:39 PM
Burger Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Wood frame is about half the cost of concrete.
With current lumber prices quadrupling in the last year and still on the rise I'm not so sure about that anymore!

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It would be really nice to see something that looks like a cousin of Templar Flats.

My wife and I took a walk to Big Scoops a few nights ago (Duke at James). We live on a side street off Locke between Main and Aberdeen... walked there along Bold, Park, and Duke, then came home via James, Robinson, the HAAA grounds and Charlton. We both noticed a lot of things we never have before when driving through, both the interesting and the peculiar. We'll be doing more walks like that! And I really must start taking photos and posting them, even if just with my mobile phone.
That's what I love about living downtown and barely driving. You see so much more when walking around. A buddy and I walked from James and Main to Ottawa and Main down Main and it was crazy what you notice when going slow like that.

Old Posted Jun 4, 2021, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StEC View Post
With current lumber prices quadrupling in the last year and still on the rise I'm not so sure about that anymore!
Concrete is also rising similarly though and other materials. Steel has gotten incredibly expensive, so rebar is $$$

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 6:20 PM

The DRP materials are now online:

https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/defaul...treetsouth.pdf

It's two six-storey buildings, one fronting onto James and the other at Augusta and Hughson.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 6:32 PM

Wow 2 buildings! Great news.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 6:38 PM

While I'm generally not a fan of faux-historic, Core Urban does it well, so I'm excited. I also just love this scale of development - very unique way of doing things.

These 3 buildings are going to do a great job of filling in the gaps on this block and creating a really engaging retail environment on Augusta.

The three buildings combined will also have 130 units total, quite a nice density boost for the area.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2021, 6:56 PM

14-18 Augusta went before the DRP in July of 2020, and broke ground March 2021. Wonder how quickly this one will get moving.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton