HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 3:47 AM
Honored Member

Is Sheila Fougere available to run as a Councillor? I read that she was a Councillor in District 14 (Connaught-Quinpool) before running and losing as a Liberal MP candidate in 2004 (by a close vote) and loss the Mayoral vote in 2008 but got a large number of votes.

Based on past HRM recorded votes, she is pro-development and voted for the Trillium, Alexander and United Gulf Towers, and other developments.

If she ran, which new district would she be in?

There is a Wikipedia page on the results of the 2008 vote - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halifax...ght_-_Quinpool

Last edited by fenwick16; Jan 23, 2012 at 3:59 AM. Reason: added link

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 5:58 AM

Tim Outhit is a shoe-in since the only change in his riding is the addition of Royale Hemlocks (already heavily tied in with Bedford right now). He has proven his dedication quickly and will win by a landslide if even challenged.

Debbie Hum is an almost guarantee since she is losing the part of her district that is not strongly behind her.

Brad Johns will likely win the new Middle/Upper Sackville area.

If reoffering Bob Harvey will win by a landslide.

Watts will beat-out Sloane provided Blumenthal is retiring. I'll likely be voting in this race.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2012, 6:33 AM
Honored Member

I can understand the appeal of Jennifer Watts for people who are involved in active transportation since she seems to support that concept. On the other hand, I shutter to imagine the height limits for the Central Pan if she is involved in the decisions (I imagine height limits of 10 - 20 meters throughout the peninsula). Jennifer Watts seems to be against just about everything except active transportation and more green space. I think she would be better suited as a rural Councillor than a city Councillor.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Epstein says he'll stay MLA, not run for mayor

Scott Simpson Feb 03, 2012 12:59:41 PM

http://www.news957.com/news/local/ar...-run-for-mayor

A member of the Nova Scotia Legislature who's been talked about as a potential candidate to run for mayor of HRM against Peter Kelly says he will not be doing so.

MLA Howard Epstein, who represents Halifax-Chebucto in the Dexter Government, would have had to to resign his seat in order to campaign for mayor, and he says he doesn't want to do that.

Epstein says he kept running into people encouraging him to run, and he's frustrated with the status quo.

He says he'll keep encouraging good people to run for council seats.

Mayor Kelly's leading opponents so far include Tom Martin, Fred Connors and Mike Savage, who's expceted to announce his intention to run on Monday.
Howard Epstein's definition of good people:

Communist, save the view, stop all development heritage NIMBY wing-nuts.

Did I miss anything?

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 10:25 PM

Kick that fool out of office already, please.

Old Posted Feb 3, 2012, 10:35 PM

At least he won't be our next mayor

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by resetcbu1 View Post
At least he won't be our next mayor
Thank god for that.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 10:35 PM
we built this city

Good people... as opposed to bad people... the rhetoric makes me sick.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2012, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Good people... as opposed to bad people... the rhetoric makes me sick.
Shhh!! Do not speak against Der Kommissar!!!

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 1:55 AM

ABK - Anyone But Kelly

I believe Mike Savage will enter the contest for mayor this week. I am concerned about Fred Connors. I think he is well meaning but maybe he should look at being a councilor or other elected office before throwing in his hat for mayor? He also has a lot of irons in the fire and being a decent mayor is an 80 hour a week job.

Like some of the others who have posted here I fear that the candidates trying to unseat Peter 'Which Way Does the Wind Blow' Kelly will split the vote and we will be saddled with Mayor Kelly yet again.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 2:51 AM

Connors will not be a factor.

I am less than convinced that Mike Savage is the savior many are making him out to be. He did nothing as a MP for many years and as a Liberal he has taken no stand on anything except for political expediency. More concerning is that he has assembled a group of backroom supporters that consist of many NDP types. Worrisome in that without a political philosophy of his own, he will follow their lead to pay back debts if elected.

While a trained seal would be better than Kelly, we could do a lot better than Mike Savage.

Old Posted Feb 5, 2012, 6:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post

While a trained seal would be better than Kelly, we could do a lot better than Mike Savage.
such as?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:49 PM

I just heard the ultimate anti-everything wingnut on NEWS 95.7. She was calling in to give her opinion on Mike Savage running for Mayor. She said "Why can't we just go back to good ol' Halifax".

She went on to say that Halifax has become too focused on development and attracting people to live here and visit. She said we don't need a stadium, convention centre and the oval. She said she will never visit the commons again as long as the oval is still there. She also had an issue with the Sands of Salter.

Jordi Morgan sounded shocked at the women's insane opinion.

It's hard to believe there are people who don't want any progress at all in this city.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:53 PM

The more these people come out of the wood work, the more of a 'fringe element' they are.

The city has realized that the only way to pay for things is to encourage development and see the benefits of an increased tax base. I suspect this person is older than jesus and came over on the arc.

Probably someone who never shows up to a public hearing and says their thoughts once a year, if that...ignore it.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
The more these people come out of the wood work, the more of a 'fringe element' they are.

The city has realized that the only way to pay for things is to encourage development and see the benefits of an increased tax base. I suspect this person is older than jesus and came over on the arc.

Probably someone who never shows up to a public hearing and says their thoughts once a year, if that...ignore it.
The crazy part was she sounded younger. If I can find the podcast, I'll post it. I honestly thought she was joking at first.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 9:37 PM

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post

Quote:
We'll have development for the future that respects the Heritage and protects our Environment

Does that mean he is going give the Heritage Trust and Save the View the keys to the city?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 10:26 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Does that mean he is going give the Heritage Trust and Save the View the keys to the city?
That sounds like standard meaningless "rainbow, puppies, and unicorns" political talk.

The best way to predict what Savage would be like as mayor is probably to look at his political background. I don't know much about him. One plus is that Gloria McCluskey doesn't like him.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
That sounds like standard meaningless "rainbow, puppies, and unicorns" political talk.

The best way to predict what Savage would be like as mayor is probably to look at his political background. I don't know much about him. One plus is that Gloria McCluskey doesn't like him.
I would've said sunshine and lollypop's personally...and rainbows, etc. lol

The CBC NS article on his announcement notes that Sheila Fourgere is backing Savage, so I think we can rule her out running this time around.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 10:38 PM

Former Federal NDP leader Alexa McDonough is backing him too.

At least we should have plenty of time before the election to find out the different candidates stand on development.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Business, Politics & the Economy