HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 7:27 PM

Heritage Grannies Don't Like the Satanic Rocking And/Or Rolling

The Friends of the Halifax Commons, an offshoot of the Heritage Trust, (kind of like the Heritage Trust for the Commons) have got their knickers in a knot that this summer tens of thousands of young whippersnappers will flock to the Halifax Commons to drink beer, smoke the devil grass, trample the grass and get down with KISS and Paul McCartney. Rest assured they will be vociferously making their objections known to the City.

From the Friends of the Halifax Commons Website: "Things Aren’t Getting Any Better…..In 2007 HRM signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with concert promoters for two mega concerts/year on the North Common."

A picture of the offending superstructure (the stage and speaker towers from the other year's Stones concert) appears on the Friends of the Commons Website. The tower, which will be over one storey tall, is completely not keeping in style with Halifax's 18th century heritage, can be seen from Citadel Hill, and is within a mere two miles of St Paul's Church.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 7:39 PM
we built this city

HDC is going to crush these groups when we come online, no longer is it acceptable for these folks to hijack the agenda on all fronts.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 8:07 PM

^Yep

And who in the world would fight a building that will be up for what a week? Its pointless and with it only being one storey it will hardly be visible from Citadel (and the non-popular side of the hill too).

One thing I've got to wonder is why don't they fight projects like Armoury Villa where stucco is being used and its not very visually attractive?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 9:06 PM
You talkin' to me?

bwhahaha, are these people serious?

Im going to both concerts and I hope to god the music is deafaningly loud just to piss them off more

And Bedford, I think the "over one story" comment was a joke . These stages are usually 5-7 stories in height. But regardless, these people are a complete joke lol.

Old Posted Jun 21, 2009, 9:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mars View Post
The Friends of the Halifax Commons, an offshoot of the Heritage Trust, (kind of like the Heritage Trust for the Commons) have got their knickers in a knot that this summer tens of thousands of young whippersnappers will flock to the Halifax Commons to drink beer, smoke the devil grass, trample the grass and get down with KISS and Paul McCartney. Rest assured they will be vociferously making their objections known to the City.

From the Friends of the Halifax Commons Website: "Things Aren’t Getting Any Better…..In 2007 HRM signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with concert promoters for two mega concerts/year on the North Common."

A picture of the offending superstructure (the stage and speaker towers from the other year's Stones concert) appears on the Friends of the Commons Website. The tower, which will be over one storey tall, is completely not keeping in style with Halifax's 18th century heritage, can be seen from Citadel Hill, and is within a mere two miles of St Paul's Church.
WOW, Mars, you really know your stuff ....very impressive...welcome to the board...

Old Posted Jun 22, 2009, 4:37 PM

Nice Bitch Mars... LOL.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 1:33 AM

Bitter, but getting over it

While I understand the sentiments expressed by a number of you about how frustrating the friends of the commons are, may I take a moment to put a personal touch on this? First a disclaimer; I live on the commons. In fact, I moved here mainly because my home fronts a public space and city park. Let me make it clear, when I purchased my home it was not to be in front of a concert bowl or the metro centre, it was to be in front of a park. During the Stones concert, two things happened that were completely un-neighbourly. First, the concert promoters received permission to violate the city noise bylaws. They worked 24/7, in warm August weather, with lighting systems throughout the night(s) to take down the stage. As you can image, I did not have "quiet enjoyment" of my property on those nights. Second, my street was blocked off, and even as a resident, I was not permitted to park in front of my house, or even drive down my own street, during the 24 hour period before/after the concert. Interestingly, when I advised a person parking in front of my house the day of the concert that she risked being towed by police (as I, as a resident, was told would happen to me), she promptly replied that she had a "VIP pass" which permitted her to park there unimpeded! Bitter? you betcha!

On the stucco comment about the place across from the commons, agree with you 100%! we need to start legislating taste!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 1:46 AM

At the risk of being rude -- isn't that a risk you take by buying a house near the commons?

It's a large field that thousands of people can stand in. They've run car races races around it. It might stand to reason it could be a concert venue, and a rather large one.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 1:56 AM

I, in fact, enjoy the satanic rock and rolling. I think the Commons is a fantastic venue for concerts. Love the idea of a central space in the city being used like this. I went to the Stones concert when it was here and thought it was excellent.

Not so excellent? The muddy hellhole the Commons was reduced to. I also happen to enjoy hanging out on sunny weekends people watching, or playing Ultimate. The city has done a terrible job of enforcing the contracts they sign with visiting acts to clean up the messes they make. They give the cash to the promoters upfront, rather than waiting until all the acts' obligations are fulfilled. After the shows, how much incentive do you think there is for the acts to actually restore the Common back to the state (god forbid we even hope for something better) it was in before?

While I think it's ok to use the Common land for an event like this, I do not think it's ok for everybody else's use of this valuable public asset to be compromised for a year or so after (seriously? it's not recovered from last year yet? really?).

The city really needs to do a better job of managing this space.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 9:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilan8888 View Post
At the risk of being rude -- isn't that a risk you take by buying a house near the commons?

It's a large field that thousands of people can stand in. They've run car races races around it. It might stand to reason it could be a concert venue, and a rather large one.
You are not being rude at all, glad for the dialogue.

I am/was fully aware of the "risks" when I moved to the commons area, and did so with my eyes wide open. Needle exchange within three blocks, soup kitchens within five blocks etc. I also realize that there used to be (a long time ago) car races here. And yes, there is a big park, full of, oh, I don't know, ball fields, soccer pitches, walking paths, a fountain. Nowhere in the commons is there a concert bowl or anything resembling one.

I have lived in Hali for over 40 years, when i was a pup, the concerts were on citadel hill/garrison grounds, where they belong.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 12:55 PM

Where they belong? I don't recall seeing anything that says all outdoor concerts are required to be held on the hill...

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 1:52 PM
Watching & Waiting

I as well live right on Cunard Street, with my bedroom facing the common and the north-eastern end. We all received notices indicating that there may be some disruption over the course of two weekend.

And that's really it, two weekends. I don't think they are asking the world at all. It's not as if there are constant concerts coming from the commons.

I agree that noise is a fact of life when living downtown. We just happen to be able to enjoy a great view for 363 days a year. I don't think there is much to complain about. We should be thrilled that these types of concerts are coming to Halifax.

So if anyone has a scissor lift, I've got a great flat roof with view!

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 9:32 PM
opinionated so and so

Part of what killed the Mooseheads Grand Prix was that the City had a big consultation that determined gated events should not happen at that scale on the Common.

Then they conveniently forgot the policy when the Rolling Stones wanted to come to town.

Do any of you live in Halifax? I walked across the north Common a couple days ago and the mud patches where last years concert had equipment, bleachers, etc are still mud. The damage was not repaired. It will get way worse after this year.

I am not against big concerts, but I am against ruining an existing sports field, I am against 1.2 million in public subsidy for private business, I am against competing with Moncton when they have a better plan and site.

If we really want to do this, lets build a proper facility, probably out at the Mainland Common or in Bedford, and do it right.

As for the comment that "he should have known he was moving next to a big noisy concert site." Unless Commoner bought the house AFTER the Rolling Stones, that is horseshit. You buy or build a house and it is next to a dump, you cannot complain about the stink, but conversely if you buy or build a house and the city wants to build a dump, you can complain, and should.

In law the concept is called "moving to a nuisance". The Commons was not zoned for concerts, had a policy forbidding concerts, and had never had concerts.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 11:01 PM
You talkin' to me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waye Mason View Post
Part of what killed the Mooseheads Grand Prix was that the City had a big consultation that determined gated events should not happen at that scale on the Common.

Then they conveniently forgot the policy when the Rolling Stones wanted to come to town.

Do any of you live in Halifax? I walked across the north Common a couple days ago and the mud patches where last years concert had equipment, bleachers, etc are still mud. The damage was not repaired. It will get way worse after this year.

I am not against big concerts, but I am against ruining an existing sports field, I am against 1.2 million in public subsidy for private business, I am against competing with Moncton when they have a better plan and site.

If we really want to do this, lets build a proper facility, probably out at the Mainland Common or in Bedford, and do it right.

As for the comment that "he should have known he was moving next to a big noisy concert site." Unless Commoner bought the house AFTER the Rolling Stones, that is horseshit. You buy or build a house and it is next to a dump, you cannot complain about the stink, but conversely if you buy or build a house and the city wants to build a dump, you can complain, and should.

In law the concept is called "moving to a nuisance". The Commons was not zoned for concerts, had a policy forbidding concerts, and had never had concerts.

Dump = Lifetime, Concert = 10 hours
Dump = Stinking Garbage, Concert = the occasional smell of burgers, hot dogs and pot

Not a very good comparison. Though I do agree that there was no way he could have known when be bought the house, the fact is that its a short lived inconvienience that is a money maker for the city.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishblade View Post
Dump = Lifetime, Concert = 10 hours
Dump = Stinking Garbage, Concert = the occasional smell of burgers, hot dogs and pot

Not a very good comparison. Though I do agree that there was no way he could have known when be bought the house, the fact is that its a short lived inconvienience that is a money maker for the city.
I agree, but that defence is a lot more meaningful when they pick-up after themselves. I haven't been on the Commons yet this year and if it's still damaged from last years concert, then I think people have a legitimate complaint. If damage isn't being repaired it's not just one weekend, it's a long-term impact. It's not out of line for residents to expect the park will be put back the way it was. The onus really is on the City to ensure that the impact truly is just one or two weekends a year. If not, then I think it becomes a bigger question of what is an appropriate use of the Commons and does that include concerts?

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 11:17 PM

Well I made that comment and frankly I think it's still quite valid -- not unlike arguments made elsewhere on this site concerning other areas of Halifax.

If you buy a house next to a large city park like the commons, one should be advised that it's public property that the city can use as it sees fit. That doesn't mean a person doesn't have the right to object to a large venue coming to town, but it DOES mean there's two sides to every coin and that it is not precisely an injustice if and when it comes to pass (I'm not sure the last poster was characterizing it as an injustice, but apparently some are).

So, pretty please, hold back on your horseshit.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 11:26 AM
Closed account

I've lived on Robie or Cunard right on the commons for the past 4 years and don't mind the concerts. Events are held on or around the commons all the time (post gay pride parade party, cannibis day, run for the cure, various other runs). The concerts are just bigger.

My only concern is with the clean-up/repair efforts. Last year after the Keith Urban show it took nearly a week before there was a concerted effort to repair the grounds. That's unacceptable.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 11:32 AM
You talkin' to me?

Debate on Common concert bylaw exceptions becomes debate about taste

A discussion about letting this summer's two concerts on the Common legally break a noise bylaw turned into a debate over musical taste at yesterday's Halifax Regional Council meeting.

In the end, city council agreed to exempt Power Promotional Events from a law that "prohibits any person from engaging in any activity that unreasonably disturbs the peace." That means Sir Paul McCartney and KISS can hit the outdoor Halifax stage July 11 and July 18, respectively, without worrying about rocking too loud.

But not every councillor agreed the municipality should "bend over backwards" for big name musicians.

Coun. Steve Streatch said he can't back the McCartney concert, pointing to the British musician's protest of the Atlantic Canadian seal hunt a couple of years ago.

But Coun. Dawn Sloane stressed that McCartney has picked to play Halifax on his tour over every other Canadian city, adding "he's an awesome guy."

Coun. Jerry Blumenthal said he's not really a fan of either McCartney or KISS, joking "he's still back in the music of Peter, Paul and Mary."

Streatch voted against the bylaw exemption, but Blumenthal, Sloane and others agreed the concerts are worth a couple of noisy nights.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 1:03 PM

lol...Blumethal...sounds like Ned Flanders....

Old Posted Jun 24, 2009, 2:57 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Coun. Steve Streatch said he can't back the McCartney concert, pointing to the British musician's protest of the Atlantic Canadian seal hunt a couple of years ago.
Really?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Arts, Culture, Dining, Recreation & Entertainment