HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 4:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I'm guessing that this is the same building, but someone in its history obviously didn't like the brick finish. The top floor and roof above the entrance have also been modified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbange View Post

Yep. Definitely South Gate High School:

southgatehigh.org

GSV/Joshua Wrye

For search purposes: 3351 Firestone Boulevard, South Gate.

The cornerstone laid in January, the school opened in Sept 1930...

Was the tower never built...or was it removed after the Long Beach quake? Seems likely that rebuilding and remodeling occurred as all schools were being reevaluated in the '30s as to seismic safety, bricks on school buildings after the quake now a no-no.

LAT Sept 9, 1930

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jun 15, 2017 at 7:05 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 5:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
Was the tower was never built...or was it removed after the Long Beach quake? Seems likely that rebuilding and remodeling occurred as all schools were being reevaluated in the '30s as to seismic safety, bricks on school buildings after the quake now a no-no.
I'm thinking the tower was never built. And, my assumption is that the way South Gate High looks now, dates from post-Long Beach Earthquake.

Excelsior High School in Norwalk was also damaged during the Long Beach Earthquake, and was remodeled afterwards in a similar style (fewer architectural flourishes). Incidentally, Excelsior is no longer a high school, I believe it closed down in the early 1980s due to decreasing enrollment; it's now an adult school for the Norwalk-La Mirada Unified School District, and its auditorium is rented out for use on Sundays as a Korean Protestant church.

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 6:30 PM

I think this building is new to NLA.

Looking northwest across the intersection of Fair Oaks and Union avenues in Pasadena towards the Pacific Electric depot. A few people are seen waiting outside the depot entrance.

LAPL

Men stand outside the Pacific Electric depot, located at 61 N. Fair Oaks Avenue at Union Avenue (lower left) in Pasadena.

LAPL

LAPL acknowledges that the depot building has been demolished, but the building across the street appears to be the same one (with a few alterations).

GSV

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 7:00 PM

I've got interior pictures of Robinson's Beverly Hills from Julius Shulman today. This is "Job 1303: Pereira & Luckman, Robinson's (Beverly Hills, Calif.), 1952".

I assume this is part of the kitchen. Is the contraption in the center for washing plates etc?

The telephone exchange.

The children's records make me think this is a pair of listening booths.

All from Getty Research Institute

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 7:36 PM

Very interesting pics of Robinson's Beverly Hills Hoss.

The top photo is probably the employees lounge, right?

What to you think this doo-hicky is? (next to the red arrow below)

detail

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 8:08 PM

Loyd's of Downey on Firestone Blvd.

ebay

wonder why it's Loyd's? -Ward and Grace are the owners.

maybe too cheap to spring for a new sign?
_

There's a motel still at that location but I couldn't find any similarities.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 9:52 PM

re: 'mystery' alley

We have seen quite a few 'arrest' photos from the Herald Examiner on NLA, but I don't recall seeing a suspect walked down this particular alleyway.

Fur robbery suspect, 'Bobbie' Blanche Privett, 1958.
usc

I'm pretty sure that's the Federal Courthouse/Post Office Building in the distance, but I still haven't figured out where, exactly, this alley was located. (or which side of the courthouse)

Ms. Privett was successful in hiding her face from the camera in all the photos.

usc

keeping a tight grip on her wrist......................................

usc

Hans Conried? (kidding)

And finally, this last photo shows the trio as they first entered the alleyway.

usc

I think the small building over the man's shoulder might be a parking attendant's shack.

All four photos from
USC Digital Archive

PEOPLE VS. PRIVETT, 1961.
law.justia.com

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 15, 2017 at 10:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2017, 10:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Very interesting pics of Robinson's Beverly Hills Hoss.

The top photo is probably the employees lounge, right?

What to you think this doo-hicky is? (next to the red arrow below)

detail
Is that thing a neck massager?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 1:48 AM

Howdy,

Tomorrow, I am going to Temple and Beaudry to tour my old high school for a little 30th reunion - then off to Olvera St for some taquitos. Last year we stayed at the Hilton Checkers and I served as the family docent during our walking tour of Bunker Hill (and I thanked MR for all of the incredible information that I have learned from him and everyone else here!) - and regret not asking for photo requests. So, if you would like me to take a pic of something in those areas - let me know. Either way - a formal thank you to everyone for sharing such incredible knowledge!

Also, briefly: I used to come home via Amtrak from UCSD freshmen year in 1987 and would cross the street and sit in the plaza from time to time and wait for my folks to pick me up. As I walked up Los Angeles St. during one of those stops, there was a very tall, handsome man in a suit - just standing there - under that huge tree (ficus?), all by himself - without a care in the world. It was Mayor Tom Bradley and I was shocked that no one else seemed to notice it was him. He was a very nice chap and I felt lucky to talk with him and shake his hand.

Oh, remember ScottyB's thread about the Union Theater W 24th St?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...60#post7806460

Want to see inside? Our old buddy Huell was there!

https://youtu.be/BCjNhFyqUsQ?t=8m58s

Cheers!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Howdy,

Tomorrow, I am going to Temple and Beaudry to tour my old high school for a little 30th reunion - then off to Olvera St for some taquitos. Last year we stayed at the Hilton Checkers and I served as the family docent during our walking tour of Bunker Hill (and I thanked MR for all of the incredible information that I have learned from him and everyone else here!) - and regret not asking for photo requests. So, if you would like me to take a pic of something in those areas - let me know. Either way - a formal thank you to everyone for sharing such incredible knowledge!

Also, briefly: I used to come home via Amtrak from UCSD freshmen year in 1987 and would cross the street and sit in the plaza from time to time and wait for my folks to pick me up. As I walked up Los Angeles St. during one of those stops, there was a very tall, handsome man in a suit - just standing there - under that huge tree (ficus?), all by himself - without a care in the world. It was Mayor Tom Bradley and I was shocked that no one else seemed to notice it was him. He was a very nice chap and I felt lucky to talk with him and shake his hand.

Oh, remember ScottyB's thread about the Union Theater W 24th St?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...60#post7806460

Want to see inside? Our old buddy Huell was there!

https://youtu.be/BCjNhFyqUsQ?t=8m58s

Cheers!
That's great, RAH! I will show the boys, they are endlessly amused by Huell's goober-tastic takes. His visit to Phillipe's had us in stitches.
So cool you got to meet Tom Bradley, he always seemed like a class act to me. Have fun downtown!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 6:39 AM

Los Angeles City Hall has been busy lately!

Tonight:

LACurbed

LACurbed

Other photos at the link.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanklem View Post

Found on http://waterandpower.org/museum/museum.html

Distribution Station #2 1920s
While trying to find another picture of e_r's Garvanza Substation (no luck yet!), I came across Distribution Station #2 at 225 N Avenue 61. The 1920s image above was posted by stanklem back in 2015 in a collection of similar buildings. The Water and Power site also has this 1916 photo showing the original building before it was expanded, which I think is new to NLA.

waterandpower.org

Water and Power include this historical note:

"On April 21, 1962, Distribution Station No. 2 was designated Los Angeles Historical-Cultural Monument No. 558."

Here's a recent picture.

GSV

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 4:08 PM

Anyone for Pressed Duck?

Quote:
Amazing post gsjansen.
I have often wondered about the history of the Lugo House.

Since you mentioned Jerry's Joynt in your post.
I thought I'd repost these these two photos of Jerry's Joynt.
Mostly because I just think Jerry's Joynt is just too cool.

usc digital archive

below: Here you can see a car pulling out of Ferguson Alley.
Notice the sign for the Jade Room. I would give anything to see the interior of this place.

usc digital archive

There, now I'm happy.
These are photos from wayyyyyy back in the thread. I'm re-posting because not only am I annoyingly stuck on 77 Sunset Strip trivia, I'm also a nut for retro restaurants and menus. Old Chinese menus are of significant interest to me as they are far different from the neo-modern Asian buffet joints that are ubiquitous in every strip mall.

I remember my family going to a Chinese place after church each Sunday in the late 50's. Menu items included rumaki (chicken livers and water chestnuts wrapped in bacon) and Pressed Duck. These are things that are rarely if ever found anywhere now. The pressed duck consisted of perfect squares of boned minced duck with crispy skin fried up to resemble a Wyler's beef boullion cube, usually served in some kind of plum sauce.
Whenever I'm scouring old menus on line, I always sigh with nostalgia when I see these things listed. Wish I had a plate now!

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 7:00 PM

This is Julius Shulman's "Job 764: Sidney Eisenshtat, Kanshire Realty, 1950".

I found the photoset a few days ago, but initially put it to one side.

No location was included with the photos.

And none of them showed the finished building.

My best clue was this shot of some sort of decoration being added to the front. I've omitted a near duplicate of this photo.

All from Getty Research Institute

Not even sure that the building was in LA, I bookmarked it and moved on. Then, yesterday, I found a second, apparently unrelated photoset, realised that it showed the same building, and included the address. I'll reveal all tomorrow.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Loyd's of Downey on Firestone Blvd.

ebay

wonder why it's Loyd's? -Ward and Grace are the owners.

maybe too cheap to spring for a new sign?
_

There's a motel still at that location but I couldn't find any similarities.
There is one noirish point to this: Ward Harvick is mentioned in the Independent newspaper in Long Beach in 1964 as firing three shots at a Mrs Goodfellow who was the operator of a shop. It is said that he missed his estranged wife, Grace. Ward Harvick was born in 1900. His wife was younger than he, being born in 1915. I have not had any luck finding a connection with Loyd, although there was a Loyd Harvick, who was MIA/Killed in Action in WWII. Grace and Ward had a son, but his name was Joe.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2017, 10:12 PM

Very interesting oldstuff. Thanks for digging up this bit of info for us.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 8:27 AM

In response to Martin Pal's question about LA Confidential Mistake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Of course, the further you get from the time period you're portraying...

When Chinatown was made, 1937 was "37 years ago".
37 years ago now would be 1980!

I admire Chinatown more than I have a great affection for it, though. I do really like L.A. Confidential, which I've seen a dozen times; very recently, too. It played last Saturday night downtown at the Orpheum!

I don't usually like to know about film mistakes if I'm not aware of them, because it seems that once you do, you always look for it again the next time you see it, but I have to ask where that scene is in L.A. Confidential?
When Ed Exley and Jack Vincennes pull up in front of the address where they will first arrest the three African American kids, the check the registration of a car out front and Ed says "It's one of ours" and a black 1970s or 80s car drives past clearly in focus in the background. They kept the shot because it was the best take and used a clever trick. On the soundtrack, they added the sound of an old 1950s car driving past. It's subtle but it's there. The shot only lasts for a moment but Curtis figured it worked and most people missed it.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 4:24 PM

We have seen NBC's Radio City (Sunset & Vine) many times on NLA, but this particular image is new to the thread.

It shows numerous sailors and others leaving one of the radio broadcast.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Orig-Slide-W...4AAOSwYlRZNdC3

note the Navy officer on the steps with his (Mom?)

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jun 18, 2017 at 8:29 PM.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustifer View Post
These are photos from wayyyyyy back in the thread. I'm re-posting because not only am I annoyingly stuck on 77 Sunset Strip trivia, I'm also a nut for retro restaurants and menus. Old Chinese menus are of significant interest to me as they are far different from the neo-modern Asian buffet joints that are ubiquitous in every strip mall.

I remember my family going to a Chinese place after church each Sunday in the late 50's. Menu items included rumaki (chicken livers and water chestnuts wrapped in bacon) and Pressed Duck. These are things that are rarely if ever found anywhere now. The pressed duck consisted of perfect squares of boned minced duck with crispy skin fried up to resemble a Wyler's beef boullion cube, usually served in some kind of plum sauce.
Whenever I'm scouring old menus on line, I always sigh with nostalgia when I see these things listed. Wish I had a plate now!
When I was in college in the early 90s and living in Crescent City, CA, still dating my wife-to-be, our favorite restaurant was Lee's Dragon Gate in Brookings, OR. They had pressed duck, and we tried it once. It wasn't bad, but I don't think we liked it enough to consider ordering it again.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2017, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post

12-30-45: Dorothy R. Eggers, 41. Shot; body mutilated; head and hands severed with saw. “The Torso Murder.”
Found in a ravine off Rim of the World Highway, San Bernardino. Before the Short case, this was LA's "torso murder." Eventually ID’d as Dorothy by her husband Arthur R. Eggers, 52 who had reported her missing. Eggers and a male lodger at the couple’s home were questioned. Eggers confessed to shooting and dismembering Dorothy, leading police to the gun and saw used, but later reversed himself. He admitted to an altercation with his wife after coming home and seeing a man run out of their home, 2020 N. Rosemead Blvd., Temple City and finding Dorothy in bed, nude. Dorothy’s lifestyle and alleged affairs were used by both sides as both a defense and a motive. Found guilty and executed 10-16-1948.
Due to his place of work, photos of Arthur Eggers showed up during my recent search for pictures of sub-stations. His name previously appeared on NLA when NCD did a roundup of LA murders (excerpt above). Here's what LAPL said about the case:
Fifty-two year old Arthur Eggers was a sworn Deputy Sheriff working as a desk clerk in the Temple City Substation. Eggers seemed to everyone to be a meek little man who possessed an inordinate amount of patience, was intimidated by his own shadow, and dominated by his wife. Over the years his wife Dorothy had taunted her mild-mannered husband with ribald tales of hitch-hiking and picking up truckers. How often had he visualized Dorothy at a truck stop in the arms of the sweaty antithesis of himself? It would have been enough to drive any man completely mad. Neighbors of the Eggers' recalled that Dorothy had an unseemly number of male callers and rumors of Dorothy's infidelities had been reaching Eggers's ears for a very long time before he finally snapped under their weight. In fact it was the sighting of one of Dorothy's male 'friends' that had ultimately pushed Eggers over the edge into murder. He'd arrived home from work about 1 a.m. on December 28, 1945 to see the dark figure of a man exiting the back door of his home. Once inside the house Eggers confronted a completely naked Dorothy with what he'd seen and accused her of having an affair. Rather than being contrite, or even denying everything, Eggers later claimed that Dorothy had laughed at him and said that if she was having an affair, what was he going to do about it? What he did about it was grab a gun, pump a couple of rounds into her and then, in a blind rage, years in the making, cut off her head and hands. He wrapped his dead wife in a blanket and drove out to the Rim of the World Highway where he dumped her body. Somewhere along the way he had discarded her head and hand--they were never found. He filed a missing persons report on Dorothy but his co-workers became suspicious of him and an investigation was launched. A headless, handless body was discovered within hours after it had been dumped and was subsequently identified as Dorothy because of a surgery she'd had to remove bunions on her feet. In an exclusive jail house interview Eggers swore to Aggie Underwood that he was too chicken-hearted to commit murder, "I couldn't even kill a rabbit." he said. He was executed in the gas chamber at San Quentin.
Here are a few photos to expand (I was going to say flesh out) the story - LAPL has 54 images in total. The text I've included is a mixture of the newspaper captions and the LAPL descriptions.

The first photo is dated circa 1943, which is probably about right as both girls look several years older in the 1946 images (not included here). Note that the address below is different to the one in NCD's post.

"Eggers Family before tragedy struck. Mr and Mrs. Eggers with adopted children, Marie, left, and Lorraine." The family is shown outside their Temple City home at 202 N. Rosemead Blvd.

LAPL

Gun and saw used by Arthur Eggers

LAPL

"Eggers, shown taking lie detector test. Murder suspect steadfastly denies he killed wife." Ray Pinker, police chemist, administered the test.

LAPL

Arthur Eggers waits for jury.

LAPL

"Temple City home of Mr. and Mrs. Eggers. Was this the house the scene of brutal slaying?" The address is 202 N. Rosemead Blvd.

LAPL

Finally, this image was bizarrely included.

"Mrs. Eggers' pet cat. Was it a witness at slaying?"

LAPL

There's a note included with the picture of the Eggers' home which says "The structure, now at 5800 N. Rosemead Blvd., later became a commercial building." It's now the U Smile Dental Group - I wonder if they know?

GSV

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos