HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 26, 2012, 11:56 PM

1938 Flooding

Let's see if I can resist the urge to post before I've inserted several photos.

Jay Tapp, CE of KGER reports from the flood trashed Beach at Long Beach.

(All Photos From earthsignals.com)

This is Clinton Twiss, NBC Reporter. He is speaking from Venice Beach; standing at the edge of the brown, flood of 38 He is interviewing this boy who has just used a raft to rescue his cat.

KFI Special Events Dir Jimmy Vandiveer is interviewing a flood refuge. This man has lost his home to rising water.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 12:14 AM

93khj

Old days at KHJ, before the Feds stripped the licenses from RKO General. from www.johnmontana.com

From www.93khj.com
KHJ AM-TV site between 1950 and 1961

Last edited by Notinkeys; Feb 27, 2012 at 12:25 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 12:37 AM

KFAC Man on the Street

Year is unknown, but looks like the late 40s/early 50s.

From USC Digital Archives.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 12:44 AM

Sunset Bowling Center

... at the Warner Brothers site. Photo is undated, from www.710kmpc.com

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 1:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDiH View Post
Fred Harvey's on Cahuenga was a hot spot in the 1930's. Grace Ralston claimed to have named her favorite morning after drink, the Bloody Mary, there. Years later, the Crush Club opened in the 1960's, with little alteration to the exterior. Eventually, the building was boarded up. About ten years ago, the space was rebuilt and opened as the White Lotus. The site is no longer recognizable as Fred Harvey's, just as the old Tick Tock restaurant across the street is no longer recognizable. After closing down in the 1980's, it became Gorky's and is now Sharkey's.

The Greyhound Bus depot on Vine Street was closed awhile back and a new one was built just south of the old Fred Harvey's about ten years ago. The original Greyhound sign was moved from the Vine Street location to the new site on Cahuenga. This involved negotiations with Greyhound, who wanted to discard it in order to update their image. The original Vine Street Geyhound depot can be seen in many Hollywood movies, including The Killing (1956) with Sterling Hayden.

Thanks for sharing these great details with us BDiH.

You mentioned the Tick Tock Tea Room....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zilf/771414841/

http://www.hollywoodphotographs.com/

below: The Tick Tock building today at 1716 N. Cahuenga...now Sharkey's.

google street view

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 27, 2012 at 1:29 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 1:57 AM
You can call me David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notinkeys View Post
I've been reading this thread, literally, for years trying to catch up, so I haven't posted anything. That said, I'm a former radio guy (not in L.A.) so I was browsing a KMPC history website and ran across a few pictures that I wanted to share...

Not really noirish, but pretty cool anyway. There are many others, into the 70s and 80s, but I figured these were closer to the thread than the others.

David
Notinkeys, welcome to the thread. I really enjoyed your radio station photos and look forward to seeing more of them. I've got a few tucked away somewhere and will try to contribute a few.

Would enjoy seeing any old L.A. radio towers, broadcast remotes, transmitter buildings, any of that good stuff.

My nickname here is a radio reference. The 39-40 was a console set made by Philco in 1939. DXing (as you probably know) is listening for distant radio stations.

(my photo)

Anyway, good to see you here.

Also, sopas, thanks for the Academy Award photos, I enjoyed them.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 2:42 AM

[IMG][/IMG]I admit, I've been a lurker. Not that I don't have anything to say, but I think the "regulars" are way beyond my knowledge of the LA area, especially being in the Midwest (Purdue U area), although I did live in Thousand Oaks awhile back. So I just enjoy. I am mesmerized by this forum and all the info that comes from it. Anyway, this forum got me to thinking about my Aunt Gladys' business in Santa Ana. I wondered if the building was still there. Lo and behold, it was. The first pic I will post is her standing in front, in the early 1940s. The second is from Google Map. I know it's not quite as old as some of the structures you've posted, but it still seems to be in pretty decent shape.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 2:51 AM

OK, guess I can't figure out how to post a pic! Oh, for just a "browse" pic feature! I will try and work on this.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 3:41 AM

Welcome to the thread PastPresent!

I'm not the best at explaining the ins and outs of posting photos. I host my photos at http://imageshack.us/ (basic service is free)

After I upload a photo and choose 'share a photo', I have to change, for some unknown reason, the upper case [IMG] to lower case.

....like this [IMG] [/IMG] to [img] [/img].

____

Does anyone else have some helpful hints?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 27, 2012 at 7:42 AM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 5:07 AM

This really shouldn't be that hard...but....when I go to change the IMG to img, it will highlight the whole thing and won't let me edit. I will try and reupload the pic and see if that works. But thanks for the info. And yes, I'm using image shack.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 7:56 AM

PastPresent, copy and paste your image into the 'noirish Los Angeles' thread and THEN change from upper case to lower case.

When you chose to 'share' your uploaded photo...this box will come up

...working your way down..left click...left click...left & right click (right click is 'copy').

go to 'noirish Los Angeles' and 'paste', which is left and right click....
then change [IMG] to [img] once the address is inserted into 'noirish Los Angeles'.

____

This seems so archaic. Can anyone help us here?

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 1:10 PM

Alden Jewell

Before every, say, Chevrolet dealership (and every Ford, VW, Lexus dealership, etc, as well) had to have identical corporate looks,
their buildings had personality, just like the cars they sold.... Bitner Pontiac was at 270 N. Lake Ave. in Pasadena--replaced by a very,
very boring and utterly charmless office building. (Architecture schools seem to exist in name only these days.)

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Feb 27, 2012 at 10:36 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 1:49 PM

Alden Jewell

A 1942 Studebaker, pictured moments before Pearl Harbor at...

UCLA

UCLA's Royce Hall. And then there's this shot. I'm always stunned by pictures of L.A. in the snow... turns my SoCal nostalgia on its head.

UCLA

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 2:36 PM

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 8:10 PM
You can call me David

I'm a Mac guy so the steps are a little different for me, and I can't give 100% specific instructions. But PastPresent, if you still have trouble, why don't you just post the test string that you tried to use, and we can probably de-bug it fairly easily.

Keep in mind that your posts here can be edited over and over, so once you've finally got this sorted out you can go back and fix previous attachment problems, add more photos, etc.

The main thing is you need to host your photos someplace else, first. Once you have done that, it should be fairly easy to capture the image URL and paste it into your reply, with [Ximg]http://blah.blah.etc[/imgX]. (Ignore the two X's, I just added them to make the rest of the string visible.)

Another trick is, if you click the quote button on some other post that contains images, you will see the exact text string that that person used, which can serve as an example of what you need to do.

If you still have trouble, you could go ahead and post with errors, then give me or someone else here your log in info and we can go in and fix it for you.

Don't give up, you're probably very close already.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 8:33 PM

Early 1940s, 1622 S. Main, Santa Ana. My aunt is standing in front.

Last edited by PastPresent; Feb 27, 2012 at 9:26 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 8:34 PM

Shot at 2012-02-26

Present day pic. 1622 S. Main, Santa Ana.

Last edited by PastPresent; Feb 27, 2012 at 9:25 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastpresent View Post
aaaggghhh

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 8:44 PM

...Tried using Google and Image Shack to save images, but still not working. I think I'm going back to being a lurker. This is probably simple but it's too stressful to try and figure out without me having to post something 100 times before I get it right. And there's no delete or cancel button to get rid of all my mistakes. I fear I will just irritate you all with my attempts. The photos I have to share aren't that great anyway as compared to yours. But I can still enjoy what you guys post by lurking. Am I the only one that has had trouble with this forum in regards to posting things? I can't imagine I'm the only one. I hate to think you have "lost" members due to this issue. Anyway, keep up with your work. I thoroughly enjoy the forum!!

Okay, as seen from my above posts, I have finally been able to insert pics, albeit they are small. (why !!!????) Whether or not I can do this again, it's up to the internet gods. Thanks for your help everyone!!

Last edited by PastPresent; Feb 27, 2012 at 9:30 PM.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2012, 8:51 PM
You can call me David

It appears that the two url's you posted and not valid image url's or links, for whatever reason.

Have you already uploaded your images to some hosting site? Usually these sites will display a box, like the one e_r posted last night with "ready to go" url's. Are you able to navigate to that type of box?

Yet another way is, view your picture as a full size image, then right click the image itself. This should copy the image url to your clipboard (or whatever they call it in PC land) and then you can paste it into your forum reply, after clicking the "insert image: button (the one that looks like a yellow postcard).

You can always test the image url before posting it here. Just open a browser window and paste the url into the web address box. If your photo opens in the page, all by itself, the url was good. If it doesn't, then the url was not good.

I don't mind continuing to help you. But rather than adding any more new replies, just go back and edit your old ones. On the old posts you can delete all the text and totally start over if you want. (When all this is sorted out and you no longer feel frustrated, the "aaargh" post could be replaced with a photo or two, and some comments etc. )

Last edited by 3940dxer; Feb 27, 2012 at 10:11 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos