HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 4:20 PM

Just what we need...

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I wonder how much retail the HRM can support without creating additional jobs outside of retail. It would be good to see more manufacturing at the Bayer's Lake Business Park. (Is industrial space allowed at the Bayer's Lake Business Park?)
Industrial space is allowed in certain areas I think. Volvo had a plant there before and used the old train tracks (which is now a paved walking/biking path) I believe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I'm trying to think of what other big box stores there are in Canada that Halifax could support. That's a lot of space. Lowes comes to mind. I also heard that Radcliffe Canadian Tire was going to move. Maybe Canadian Tire will be one of them. Maybe a giant Target store if they wanted to supercenter one out there. The current Zellers is pretty small.
I heard Wal-mart will be moving into a bigger location so that it can become a Super-Center like the Dartmouth Crossing and Bedford Commons Wal-marts can.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 4:48 PM

Here is some more detail on the expansion.

http://www.burnsidenews.com/News/201...-meet-demand/1

Quote:
Bayers Lake Business Park growing to meet demand

The new development planned for Bayers Lake by BANC Developments Limited will take place on the land located in the bottom right hand corner of this aerial photo.

Published on April 7, 2011
Staff ~ The Burnside News

Bayers Lake

A land transaction approved by Regional Council this week will see close to 200 acres of new lands developed in the Bayers Lake Business Park.
Topics : Regional Council , Bayers Lake Land Development Opportunity , BANC Developments , Bayers Lake
A land transaction approved by Regional Council this week will see close to 200 acres of new lands developed in the Bayers Lake Business Park.
The Bayers Lake Land Development Opportunity was publically advertised in late 2010 with the objective of selecting a proponent prepared to undertake the purchase and timely development of the site including the provision of all public streets and services at the developer’s expense.
On Tuesday April 5, Council approved the award of the project to BANC Developments Limited for approximately 180-190 acres of land. BANC’s proposal will see the lands developed over a series of phases for retail and commercial uses. The price paid by BANC cannot be disclosed until the deal closes.
“This project will generate significant economic benefits in the form of retail sector growth, construction, employment and commercial property taxes,” says Mayor Peter Kelly.
HRM’s Business Parks are major employment centres serving the municipality and the region. As the economy continues to grow, and the municipality’s commercial base expands, the pressures on business parks such as Bayers Lake to accommodate the demand for large serviced parcels and a range of business uses increases.
The new infrastructure and growth was identified by the public and the Bayers Lake Business Association as a critical piece to improving the existing traffic capacity issues in the park and along Lacewood Drive,” Kelly says.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 4:51 PM

At least the company is paying for the roads. Is HRM selling the land to Blanc?

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 5:25 PM

I cant see how only two people can vote against this but a bunch of people vote against certain other projects that we could have here

Old Posted Apr 8, 2011, 9:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Traffic is horrible out at Bayers Lake now, I can't imagine what it would be like if the retail area doubled in size!

They had better improve access off the 102 pretty damn quick!

Why, we'll just put in some roundabouts! That's the ticket!! Yessir, roundabouts will solve all your traffic ills!!!

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 12:38 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Long-term maintenance and service improvements are also killer and will likely be at the HRM's expense. This sprawl will be a huge liability in 20 or 30 years.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 2:00 AM

They really should have added at least an off ramp on the new connector they just did. Would have made going into bayers lake from the highway easier.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 2:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
Quoted from the article:

Halef didn’t know why deputy mayor Jim Smith (Albro Lake-Harbourview) and Coun. Dawn Sloane (Halifax Downtown) voted against the motion by Coun.

Mary Wile (Clayton Park West) to move the land sale forward.

“I have no clue," Halef said.

“I’d like to know myself."

This is funny. I can think of many many good reasons to vote against this.
agree.

Council should be paying attention to the downtown which is dying a now rapid death......

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 2:49 AM

Quote:
HRM will then need to deal with the costly improvements needed to get the traffic out of the under designed ingress egress points in the park.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 2:12 PM

Quote:
They really should have added at least an off ramp on the new connector they just did. Would have made going into bayers lake from the highway easier.
I believe there is plans for on ramps but no off ramps. This is good news since it is actually harder to get out of Bayers Lake than in from the Bi-Hi.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 4:39 PM

I can't even think of anymore big box type stores that we don't have other than Ikea, and we all know the situation there. Just more random tech stores (Future Shop, Best Buy) and other stores that we already have multiples of yayyyyyyy...

I just hope the open some more new chain restaurants like Milestone's or something.

BTW, does anyone know when the new Baton Rouge restaurant downtown is supposed to open?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 4:52 PM

Soon, they have a sign up and are doing construction on the place. It looks like it will be a nice location

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 7:41 PM

Quote:
Soon, they have a sign up and are doing construction on the place. It looks like it will be a nice location
Great! I'm really excited about that restaurant!

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 2:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
Kinda sad that small supermarkets are now being packaged as a new concept..

I'm living near two Sobeys and a Metro store in Toronto, none of which have parking...Pete's is really the only thing comparable in Halifax, and I think it's great they opened there.

anywho, aside from the stupidity of expanding a business park that has already proven itself deadly to the downtown, I'm against it because it'll destroy a very cool trail over the exposed bedrock out there.
Thats exactly how I feel. I love those bedrock barrens. Its a pretty popular biking spot too. There are always cars parked at the entrance by Burger King. Im going to have to get out there soon for a last minute run around.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 5:47 PM

On that note, the Herald published my letter today

Quote:
Re: "Bayers Lake plan huge, says developer" (April 8). Developer Besim Halef says he has "no clue" as to why Jim Smith and Dawn Sloane would vote against a motion to move the sale of land forward that would "almost double" the size of Bayers Lake industrial park. While I can’t speak for them, I can certainly come up with reasons why this is a move backwards, especially at a time when other cities are focusing on managing growth responsibly rather than perpetuating grossly inefficient land-use patterns such as the "power centres" that now ring Halifax, Dartmouth and Bedford.

The tax revenues from such a plan may seem tempting now, but in the long term, the cost of maintaining the vast amount of infrastructure required to service a development this sprawling will become a huge financial liability — not to mention the cost of new road construction to alleviate congestion that will only worsen. The traffic chaos of any Saturday afternoon in Bayers Lake is indicative of what comes from a design that requires shoppers to drive from store to store. It does not allow for easy pedestrian access or efficient public transit. Groups that do not drive, like many seniors, are marginalized.

Throwing up 80 more hectares of big-box low-density urban sprawl while existing neighbourhoods languish is unsustainable economically, socially, and environmentally.
I can think of many more downsides of course, but only so many can fit under the 200 word limit.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 9:24 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alps View Post
On that note, the Herald published my letter today

I can think of many more downsides of course, but only so many can fit under the 200 word limit.
I hadn't given this too much thought before but I have to agree with your letter. Good work on expressing your viewpoint Ben. - http://thechronicleherald.ca/Letters/1238100.html

PS: I think that area would be good for heavy industrial and manufacturing. With the Halifax south terminal being so close, I think that it would be ideal by logistic services also.

Last edited by fenwick16; Apr 13, 2011 at 9:36 PM.

Old Posted May 1, 2011, 9:26 PM

Quick update:

The Gap Factory Store has it's signs up, and should be open in a few weeks. Also the new store under construction on the other end of that strip is apparently kids clothing store Carter's OshKosh.

The new Starbucks at the other end of the park looks like it should be open soon too.

Best Buy is coming along nicely as well.

Old Posted May 2, 2011, 1:16 AM

I was right by the Gap factory store and the new starbucks today. Was very excited to see you guys getting one!

Old Posted May 14, 2011, 12:52 AM

The first GAP Factory Store east of Ontario opened today.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs