HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 4:41 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Mi'kmaw Native Friendship Centre affordable housing project on College Street approved:

Source

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
The graph also shows however that Halifax missed the roaring Twenties. While the rest on N/A was booming, especially after the great War ,Halifax went into a post War and Explosion influenced decline. Keep in mind that 2000 were killed instantly with another 9,000 or so with permanent life altering injuries. The graph shows that folks obviously left Halifax in the Twenties.

I think another obvious observation is the decline of Peninsula population after the Macdonald bridge was built in the late Fifties.
Macdonald bridge opened in 1955.

I also wonder how much was due to the movement of neighborhoods/families due to the 'slum clearance' and Harbour Drive project at the time.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Mi'kmaw Native Friendship Centre affordable housing project on College Street approved:

Source
Looks like a jail correctional institution.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 12:40 PM

Quote:
I believe it is under a view plane unfortunately (the George's Island one, which is worthwhile). I wonder if the shift to residential and trend toward building underground parking will eventually reduce the need for the parkade.

I remember when it was built and at that time there was still a notion that downtown competed partly based on ease of parking. If Barrington were to be successful, you would need to be able to easily find a parking spot. Maybe Eaton's would come back and people would drive down to buy vacuums or something. It seems dated now.
I have used MetroPark numerous times. It is about the only place to park if you are doing business in Maritime Centre. It is also useful if you are trying to patronize the handful of retail shops on Barrington, or are willing to walk up to Argyle to eat in a restaurant. It is also useful if you are doing business along Hollis. I know that often the only available space is on the upper level so it gets well-used.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Looks like a jail correctional institution.
I don't see that at all. The small-ish windows could probably be bigger or more numerous, but otherwise it looks more graceful and attractive than 90 percent of the private condo/apartment developments going up.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 1:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I don't see that at all. The small-ish windows could probably be bigger or more numerous, but otherwise it looks more graceful and attractive than 90 percent of the private condo/apartment developments going up.
Agreed. I'm not sure how one would even get jailhouse vibes from this. It's a curved wooden building? Definitely better than most of what's going up lately.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 2:09 PM

In general, anything that anyone says "looks like a prison" never does. I like it.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 2:32 PM

Quote:
I remember when it was built and at that time there was still a notion that downtown competed partly based on ease of parking. If Barrington were to be successful, you would need to be able to easily find a parking spot. Maybe Eaton's would come back and people would drive down to buy vacuums or something. It seems dated now.
MetroPark isn't even 20 years old. I don't think anyone in 2002, when it opened, believed there was a ghost of a chance that Eatons or any other large department store would ever relocate downtown or that Barrington would again become the shopping destination it once was. That ship sailed decades before that.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco401 View Post
In general, anything that anyone says "looks like a prison" never does. I like it.
I don't think it looks like any prison I've ever seen, but I still think it's butt-ugly.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:35 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
MetroPark isn't even 20 years old. I don't think anyone in 2002, when it opened, believed there was a ghost of a chance that Eatons or any other large department store would ever relocate downtown or that Barrington would again become the shopping destination it once was. That ship sailed decades before that.
Have a look at old DHBC commentaries from that period, if they are still online. When MEC opened it was presented as a bit of a resurgence for the area as a "destination", and parking was discussed as an important component of that. In those days there was a trend of American cities subsidizing anchor stores downtown too. The planning thought and conceptualization of downtown was different from today.

Gottingen and Spring Garden Road had the same type of planning, with municipal parking provided nearby. The idea being that they were something like strip malls or shopping destinations that you would drive up to. These days the SGR lots are gone and I doubt the Gottingen parking deck has any impact on the vibrancy of the commercial strip.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:39 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
I have used MetroPark numerous times. It is about the only place to park if you are doing business in Maritime Centre.
The Maritime Centre is getting some underground parking, right? Then the Nova Centre has parking, presumably the Ralston redevelopment will have parking. Not sure if Jade will have any public spots.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 5:41 PM

Quote:
When MEC opened it was presented as a bit of a resurgence for the area, and parking was discussed as an important component of that. In those days there was a trend of American cities subsidizing anchor stores downtown too.
Yes, I remember it well. There was lots of hope. And seeing MEC open was encouraging. But I repeat: I don't think any serious-minded person seriously thought that department stores or other large retailers were suddenly going to relocate downtown, or that it would somehow become an everyday shopping location again. And indeed they haven't, and it hasn't.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Feb 10, 2021 at 5:53 PM.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teddifax View Post
I wonder if MetroPark can itself be redesigned, and maybe built up on, any way to make it look less like a parkade. Was it designed so that maybe something could be built on top? If it was expanded and redesigned, maybe it could provide parking for the Texpark redevelopment...It just seems as wasted space to be used only for a parkade.
It would be interesting if they built something like what they proposed in St. John's next to Atlantic Place a while back.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/newfo...ohns-1.4820635

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartguard View Post
I think another obvious observation is the decline of Peninsula population after the Macdonald bridge was built in the late Fifties.
I get a kick out of this statement (not that you are wrong or anything). Here we all are discussing a new MacKay bridge and/or a possible third harbour crossing, while also strategizing how to increase urban density on the peninsula. It is a bit ironic that the data (as vague as it is) points to a population drop on the peninsula after the first bridge was built. Maybe we should remove ways to get on and off the peninsula to increase population/density?

Quote:
I have used MetroPark numerous times. It is about the only place to park if you are doing business in Maritime Centre. It is also useful if you are trying to patronize the handful of retail shops on Barrington, or are willing to walk up to Argyle to eat in a restaurant. It is also useful if you are doing business along Hollis. I know that often the only available space is on the upper level so it gets well-used.
Metro Park is my goto garage when the weather isn't too brutal outside. They have decent rates after 5pm, I think. I will park there sometimes even if I am going to the... cough, cough ... Metro Centre for an event.

Quote:
The Maritime Centre is getting some underground parking, right? Then the Nova Centre has parking, presumably the Ralston redevelopment will have parking. Not sure if Jade will have any public spots.
Despite my comment above, I have been parking at the Nova Centre more recently. I like that it is heated, but the rates I think are the highest in the city. It is also a pain to get in and out of with one 24hr elevator and no stairs (at least I have never seen any stairs open after hours). Will only park here if the weather is garbage and we are eating near Argyle.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2021, 8:17 PM

I tried parking in the Nova Centre about a year ago and it was horrible. Not only very expensive but also impossible to find a way out of the garage. The wayfinding is horrible and after hours (which is likely most of the time now) only one of the exits was usable. The other elevators were not working.

Over Christmas though I did park underneath the Doyle and that was quite nice. Wasn't expensive and the exit was very easy and clearly marked. Although the ramp down into it is quite a doozy!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I tried parking in the Nova Centre about a year ago and it was horrible. Not only very expensive but also impossible to find a way out of the garage. The wayfinding is horrible and after hours (which is likely most of the time now) only one of the exits was usable. The other elevators were not working.
I have never been able to find my way into the Nova Centre garage. Thankfully I seldom go downtown. A place best avoided by motorists these days.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanWatson View Post
Banc is the successful bidder for the old St. Pat's site on Quinpool, at just over $37 million. The AllNS story has some conflicting information on timelines. At one point Alex Halef is quoted as "start construction within 10-12 months", but it also says he doesn't want to rush into things, and their Wellington Street project and Robies Street Ultramar project will come first.
Oh, joy. Peggy Cameron is back in the news, wanting this site to become an urban farm. She must have her media friends on speed dial.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/new-look...l8jT6K8pXMhdFI

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 3:05 PM

I concur on the Nova Centre parking. It's expensive and there's only 1 elevator at the north side of the lot that will take you outside. I have had no problem getting in and out, though, but you do have to be careful as the entrance/exit is also a pedestrian area.

I'll still use it, but only in exceptional circumstances.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 3:09 PM

Quote:
Oh, joy. Peggy Cameron is back in the news, wanting this site to become an urban farm. She must have her media friends on speed dial.

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/new-look...l8jT6K8pXMhdFI
Actually,... I think that she was talking in the past tense. As in they didn’t want the city to sell the site. Which they have now done.

But yes,...she wants to put the breaks on the construction of new buildings.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 5:43 PM
Halifax Promoter!

I saw that report with Peggy Cameron... what kind of hold does she have or think she has to have entire areas of the city put on hold so she can dictate what can be done with the site.... tell her to get a real job!

Old Posted Feb 13, 2021, 5:53 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerville View Post
But yes,...she wants to put the breaks on the construction of new buildings.
The green or public space argument does not hold much water for the St. Pat's site. The Commons are right next door. This part of town has some of the best access to outdoor public space and historically it's been underused and poorly developed.

Recently there was that population chart showing that the peninsula has lost considerable population since the 50's peak. Adding 30,000 people would only be a return to the 1950 era population (maybe a bit higher but that 30,000 includes Dartmouth so it could be lower). The idea that there is a general shortage of public space and the city should be aggressively adding more wherever possible is not compelling.

There might be narrow demands for more space, particular parts of town missing particular amenities (e.g. playground is a 20 minute walk away so it would be good to add a new one somewhere), but we don't hear so much about those specific complaints and they are generally not applicable to the southern half of the peninsula, which is one of the nicest parts of the country for parks.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth