HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Apr 20, 2009, 4:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Is that crane for the other one?

No, they've had a mobile crane onsite before they took the tower crane down just lifting loads to the upper floors.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2009, 9:02 PM

Any idea when they are going to start Tower 2? I might e-mail them for a timeline of their projects.

Old Posted Apr 26, 2009, 6:28 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalNinja View Post
Any idea when they are going to start Tower 2? I might e-mail them for a timeline of their projects.
Its actually not technically approved yet, go back in the thread and read what happened... quite an interesting legal case.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2009, 7:37 PM

I live in Stoneridge, right near where this monstrosity is being built. Most have replied that leaving it at one tower would look awkward. I'm not so sure. The curent tower is set back from Walter Havill drive and near hail pond and looks good.
However, the secon tower (still in debate as to their right to build it) juts out at an odd angle, due to the site shape, towards Walter havill. Literally the corner of the second tower would be about 20 feet from the street,and at 12 stories thats pretty intimidating for the owners of the homes across the street - when taking about shadows and site lines these are the ones losing out.
By the way, those that purchased homes acroos the street were told by the real estate company selling them, owned by greater homes, in turned owned by United Gulf, that the second tower would only be 4 stores and would probably not be built. Dirty pool I say.
Another issure is population density - the HRM states that the project would go over the current allowable limit for persons per square Kilometer - this is what prompted them to move Garage access from Walter Havill to Osborne Street as it would have geneated too much traffic volume for a residential street such as Walter Havill.
In a nutshell, HRM cannot let United Gulf get away with this as it would set a precident for other developers to do the same - one foundation = one building - changing plans half way through construction - pissing formers customers (all of stoneridges residents are against the second tower) from noise, dust, garbage, creating a parking ban on one side of the street, 18 months behind and no end in site! etc etc etc!!!!

My two cents - I really hope they lose in court - which I heard through a crown friend they will most likely - got through review board on a loophole!

Old Posted Jul 6, 2009, 10:33 PM

^I was out to the area today and I noticed that the first on is on a nice angle to the road and while I can't speak for what the second one will look like the first will look good once the landscaping is in place I imagine.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 7:27 PM

Thumbs up second Tower good to go!

The appeals court denied HRM's appeal.
The second tower is a go at 12 stories.

http://www.courts.ns.ca/decisions_re...eekly_list.htm

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 8:29 PM
we built this city

Thank god.

Honestly I understand alot of your concerns "Jack Putter", but construction noise and some of your other complaints are temporary. Hell, I live next to the Trillium site... going straight into bedrock, now that is loud. I think the benefit outweighs any cost.

Also, its not a monstrosity, the Stoneridge building itself is like 10 stories. What you are saying is quite subjective, as I think close proximity of somewhat tall buildings to houses or streets to be very efficient (I live in Park Victoria).

I'm not trying to be rude, but if you didn't want to see a building like this maybe you shouldn't have bought in the burbs, as that is where the majority of towers will be going up in the future.

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 9:29 PM

I am not saying i do not like the first tower its nice and increases the value of our neighborhood. I should have made it a little clearly, what i didn't tell you is that when myself and my neighbors purchased here we were told by the builder that the second tower would never go to 12 stories but go up at 4 as the original plan called for. We found out later that the appeal was already filed when we were told that - thats our biggest contention.
Also, worldlyhaligonian, this is not the burbs. Its only 5 min to downtown from here! And the park victoria? efficient? Pay $300,000 plus for a home and see how efficient you feel about!

You have to know the HRM has ligitamit concernes if they would try to fight something that would give them quite a lot of tax dollars if it goes through.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 3:36 PM

I'm sorry this might be the banker coming out in me, but if you have a mortgage, and you probably do with a 300k home. You don't own it... Your bank does.
And things change. There was demand for the second tower and there will be demand for a lot more back there. Expect to see a lot of development in the near future.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2009, 4:43 PM

There will defenitely be a lot of demand for towers in the area.

Its one of the few areas left around HRM that are right nest to parkland/nature but still within a ten minute drive of Downtown. And well judging by how visible the tower is on the Western-side of the Peninsula there are probably some sweet views from up there.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 6:55 PM

Problem with the view
Halifax News Net
By Lindsay Jones – The Weekly News

Council has lost an appeal to the province’s highest court over the Waterton condo development overlooking Northwest Arm Drive.
United Gulf Developments can now go ahead and build a second 12-storey building on Walter Havill Drive near St. Margarets Bay Road following a recent Nova Scotia Court of Appeal decision that upheld a Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board ruling in its favour.
That has some nearby homeowners, who say they were under the impression a smaller scale development was in the works, feeling frustrated.
Purcells Cove-Armdale Coun. Linda Mosher says the former city of Halifax approved the original Waterton development agreement in 1990 for one, 12-storey building and two, four-storey structures. Over the years, the developer applied several times to amend the agreement, most recently to build two, 12-storey buildings, she added.
Ross Miller was the third person to build a home on Ridgepark Lane near the development. He purchased land seven years ago from United Gulf Developments. Miller says his view, the value of his home and neighbourhood noise levels will all be impacted by the decision.
“It’s just maddening to buy something with certain conditions and then somebody changes the rules in the middle of the game,” said Miller, who lead a petition against the second 12-storey building. “It doesn’t seem fair that they’re allowed to do that once a plan is decided upon and somebody has sold the lots and houses to people based on that plan.”
Navid Saberi, president of United Gulf Developments, said he was never applying to change the development agreement, but was seeking clarification on what he’s allowed to do.
“Under the development agreement, we believed that is what we’re allowed to do, and that’s what we wanted to do,” Saberi said.
He said all real estate literature and presentations made it clear that he has been planning to build two, 12-storey towers for the last five or six years. He said he has never contemplated building two four-storey buildings.
“It’s unfortunate that through the process the project got delayed ... The only thing this did was make the construction go for two-and-a-half more years instead of being finished and everybody getting on with their lives.”
Construction on the second tower is scheduled to begin in April.
He said the new tower will have greater benefits for the area, such as increased green space, more underground parking, less massing of buildings and better traffic circulation, as well as geothermal heating systems.
In the 32-page decision, the court said what the developer is proposing didn’t significantly differ and reasonably carries out the intent of the city’s Municipal Planning Strategy.
But Mosher vehemently disagreed, saying she’s dismayed at the decision. She said many homeowners in the area told her they never would have bought their homes had they known a second 12-storey building was in the works. “It’s going to obliterate their view,” Mosher said.
“The court has basically thrown out the intent of a development agreement. Unfortunately, that’s the highest body we can appeal to, so we have to abide by the decision and allow the two towers to go up.”
Mosher said the decision doesn’t just impact Waterton, but any current or future development agreement.
“It almost makes our development agreements look like a piece of Swiss cheese with holes through it.” she said.
From now on, Mosher said any development agreement proposed in her district will be reviewed by legal services before coming to council.

ljones@hfxnews.ca

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 9:46 PM
You talkin' to me?

Will somebody please tell these people that they don't own the view? Im tired of hearing people complain about that. They knew one 12 story tower was going up, and another building of atleast 4 stories, so what are they complaining about?

Atleast its going up finally.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2009, 11:47 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Linda Mosher says the former city of Halifax approved the original Waterton development agreement in 1990 for one, 12-storey building and two, four-storey structures.

Are you kidding? This development started in the 90's and we just finally see the first building almost done? Thats sad. I guess it'll be close to 2030 when International Place and others around are complete. I understand that things take time but 20 years for a 12 storey building is way too long.

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 12:13 PM

herald Say's this is now officially approved

Old Posted Sep 2, 2009, 5:09 PM

Appeal court OKs second tower for Armdale project

By BILL POWER Business Reporter
Wed. Sep 2 - 4:45 AM
A Halifax developer is in the clear to begin construction of a second 12-storey condominium in Stoneridge on the Park subdivision.

The Nova Scotia Appeal Court has rejected an effort to have approval of the project quashed by Halifax Regional Municipality.

United Gulf Developments, headed by Navid Saberi, won the right to build the second structure last year after a long fight with the municipality at the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board.

A review board decision ruled the two 12-storey towers constituted a single building.

Some Halifax regional councillors had vowed to stop the project after some area residents complained that the developer was building two towers on a single platform.

The recent Appeal Court decision said the review board was "reasonable" in its assessment of the process that led up to approval of the project.

Mr. Saberi was unavailable for comment Tuesday.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2009, 1:31 AM

So whats the current news for the second tower? Cu I've seen ads in the paper but they don't specify the building ...

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 4:26 PM
Honored Member

The rendering for this one looked so much better than the finished product.

Old Posted Nov 22, 2009, 4:42 PM
You talkin' to me?

Does anybody know if work on the second tower has begun, and if not when it will?

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 12:16 AM

I wouldn't go near this project. I have a friend who bought 4 years ago with her $5,000 deposit. The building is 18 months overdue and my friend has been waiting forever on a string of broken promises on her closing date. So just when she thinks she is going to be able to close on her unit on September 30th (her 5th closing amendment date) Greater Homes sends out a letter to pretty much everyone (apparently) demanding immediate occupancy, 12 months of rent cheques of about $1,700 and something like an additional $30,000 deposit, which is nowhere in the contract. Who would give a company $30k unsecured until whenever??? Some people don't even have that much to put down. They wouldn't even give the girl notice after making her wait an additional 18 months.

Anyway, since then, the company hasn't responded to her lawyer's letters and the original lawyer for the firm apparently sent out a letter informing all the lawyers he wasn't repping GH anymore, but the dumb sales guys who were just brought in keep telling everyone that this lawyer is still the guy. So nobody knows? It's a massive nightmare for (I have heard) about 100 unit holders who bought in early. The unit holders have been finding each other through their lawyers and I guess there are a ton of Halifax lawyers with clients in this situation. Her sales person who sold her the unit has been taken off the project and noone will talk to her at Greater Homes. The people there keep telling her to have their lawyer call their lawyer, even after noone knows if they even have one?

So if you are looking for a good hassle free deal, stay the hell away from the Waterton! If you don't believe me, just ask around Halifax. I am sure you will find someone who knows about this or has a friend dealing with it.

Last edited by WatertonNO; Dec 6, 2009 at 2:43 AM.

Old Posted Dec 6, 2009, 4:21 AM
we built this city

That doesn't bode well for the UG development...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs