HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 3:34 PM

104-106 Bay Street North | ? | 6 fl | Under Construction

New affordable housing development on a city-owned lot. My understanding is that the Indwell building and this one will replace the affordable housing units at Jamesville, with all other new units on that site being market rate.

This is going in front of the Hamilton DRP - image from Nova Res Urbis:

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 3:39 PM

Meh. It's better than that awful lot I guess

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 4:10 PM
Ham-burgher

Unmistakably an Indwell. I like the look of this render.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 4:11 PM
It's Hammer Time

Does anyone have any idea what this torch/cauldron thing is?

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10...9!4d-79.871894

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
Same here. I think this will look really good. Good to see some density at this spot, right along Cannon and Bay bicycle lanes. It looks like the back portion of the parking lot will remain for now, and the two houses right on the corner will also remain. Excited to see the full details. Indwell is killing it. Maybe I'll start a recurring donation to them...

Follow me on Twitter: https://x.com/ham_bicycleguy?t=T_fx3...SIZNGfD4A&s=09

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 4:48 PM
Hamilton Historian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTown View Post

I know it's supposed to represent a torchiere - I dunno if it actually lights up though or is just decorative..

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamingViking View Post
It isn't Indwell, apologies for the confusion.

The Jamesville redevelopment will accommodate existing tenants in two buildings:
1. a new Indwell building on the Jamesville site, which there is already a thread for; and
2. This building, built by CityHousing Hamilton.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 6:16 PM

Quote:

I read that they were planned to be installed at Gore Park (maybe around the time of the tree massacre idk) but they ended up not using them and just kinda... put them here.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 6:45 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
It isn't Indwell, apologies for the confusion.

The Jamesville redevelopment will accommodate existing tenants in two buildings:
1. a new Indwell building on the Jamesville site, which there is already a thread for; and
2. This building, built by CityHousing Hamilton.
Thanks. I wonder if they're making an effort to keep the building style somewhat consistent then. Make the new social housing all look "modern"?

It's different than what was shown in the Jamesville thread, in the post quoted below, but there's a family resemblance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRitsman View Post
Some pictures of the new Indwell portion of this development. Looks very similar to the design further North on James.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 10:16 PM

Quote:

https://twitter.com/CameronKroetsch/...061614083?s=09

Old Posted Nov 12, 2020, 1:49 AM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
The '83 Gore "rejuvenation" was the one that chopped down all the mature trees and created new concrete bunkers designed to enhance the park experience.

June 1983: The Gore Park tree massacre
The Hamilton Spectator -- Fri., Sept. 23, 2016

It became known as the Gore Park fiasco, and 33 years later the topic still raises the blood pressure of Hamiltonians. The city was trying to rejuvenate the core by redeveloping the park. To do that, designers felt they had to start from ground zero by levelling it. The park looked like it had been hit by a bomb. Construction was started on a couple of concession buildings, but that was put to an end because of the public furor.

Significance:
The Gore Park Fiasco, or Gore Park Tree Massacre — as it is also known — goes down as one of the biggest political bungles of the last 50 years. It's pointed to as a lesson about how not to organize a major public project. A key aspect of the controversy is that the public had no idea that the city was contemplating such destruction of nature. The prevailing wisdom now is that not only does the public need to be informed about major civic undertakings, but it's also a good idea to involve the public in the decision-making. That's exactly what's happened with the latest makeover of the park that is going through the second of three phases. There has been some controversy, but there was a great amount of public consultation and disclosure involved, and the public pushback is nothing compared to 1983. Sadly, though, the latest makeover has seen the destruction of trees as well. It turns out that ash trees were used to replace trees cut down in 1983; now most of those are suffering devastation from the emerald ash borer and must be removed. So the park, from a nature point of view, is similar today to how it was in 1983.

From The Spec, on the 20th anniversary:
(by Paul Wilson, June 17, 2003)

"A proper fiasco is something that turns out very badly, a scheme that leaves scads of furious people in its wake.

In this city, 20 years ago this month, we embarked on a fine disaster. They called it the Gore Park Fiasco.

If you were here in '83, you'll recall the fury. If you've arrived since then or are too young to remember, a brief recap is advisable. Ignore your history and you're liable to repeat it.

Gore Park goes back to 1870. Some politicians thought it should be a lumber yard or a farmers' market, but the people wanted a park.

It became a beautiful place with a lovely fountain, tall trees, lots of benches. It was a classic Victorian park. Eventually it even got a statue of Queen Victoria and the pigeons love her.

But by the 1980s, a gloom had settled on downtown Hamilton. Stores were closing or heading for the suburbs.

The city fathers, none in office now, decided a new Gore Park was needed. But few took a good look at the plan.

In June 1983, the Ontario Municipal Board approved that plan. Within weeks, the work began. A four-paragraph brief — headlined Chainsaws in Gore Park — said work was under way.

In no time, work crews levelled the Gore. Not a blade of grass survived, not a single tree. All was rubble. On the July day when the biggest maple was coming down, some threatened to chain themselves to it, but no one did.

Then concrete-block structures began to rise. One was supposed to be a display area, another a food building. There was also an amphitheatre with seats so low seniors couldn't use them.

There was furious finger-pointing. Passersby yelled at workmen who said it wasn't their fault.

Finally someone yelled halt. They tore down the block structures and held public meetings. "Give us back the Gore," the people said.

A wise man named Ernie Seager stood up. He was 69, and for 35 years he had been secretary to the city's board of parks management. He said the planners had tried to put too much into Gore Park: "They're trying to put an elephant on a postage stamp.

"There is nothing on earth wrong with a Victorian park. We need a wrought iron fence of elegant design, a fountain, a place to sit. There's nothing wrong with grass and flowers."

And that is pretty much what we got. Ernie is dead now, but would probably like what Gore Park looks like now.

The ash trees they planted — a hybrid that flowers but does not produce berries — are now several storeys tall and provide good shade. And we have a magnificent new fountain, the same graceful lines as the old one.

At noon yesterday, Bryan Hayes sat and played his sax. You can catch him at the Junction next month or take your chances any lunch hour. Gore Park is his favourite place to practise.

He was just five at the time of the fiasco, but likes the way the Gore looks in 2003. He has been all over the world and says this park reminds him of Europe — except there are too many empty stores and garish signs around it.

But here and there, the storefronts are changing, too. One day — one hopes a lot less than 20 years from now — it could be a whole different scene in the core. In the meantime, get a sausage, grab a bench in the sun, squint your eyes just a little and you'll be basking in downtown Amsterdam."

Old Posted Dec 13, 2020, 7:05 AM

Looks like they've been working on this lot. I've see machinery here every day and there were some workers. Looks like asphalt removal equipment I believe.

Also a few new renders and plans from DRP:

And finally, apparently there is a second proposed building along Cannon where the new parking lot will be:

Last edited by TheRitsman; Dec 13, 2020 at 6:20 PM.

Old Posted Dec 14, 2020, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Looks like they've been working on this lot. I've see machinery here every day and there were some workers. Looks like asphalt removal equipment I believe.
This is amazing all around, thanks for sharing. Perhaps the City is hoping for a second round of RHI funding to build these units with modular construction in a short timeframe?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 10:19 PM

This file is now at final site plan approval.
Expect Jason Farr to announce the approval in the coming weeks.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2021, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyColeman View Post
This file is now at final site plan approval.
Expect Jason Farr to announce the approval in the coming weeks.
Exciting! I will be passing by this property every day on my way to work, so I will take progress pictures!

Thanks for sharing Joey!

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 6:28 PM

Lot will be closing April 1:

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 7:08 PM

loving this theme of rapidly closing parking lots downtown this spring. May it continue!

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 6:59 PM

This parking lot is indeed closed with concrete blocks and chain at the entrances now.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 8:48 PM

This lot has now been closed for 2 months with no movement whatsoever.

Old Posted May 31, 2021, 9:33 PM
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal

Maybe they don’t have covid clearance/lockdown operations are more expensive and they wanted to wait?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Downtown & City of Hamilton