HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 7:30 PM
Hammer'd

Uh, ok?
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 1, 2021, 8:01 PM
It's a nickname from work

They really know their readers, eh

Old Posted Mar 2, 2021, 1:30 AM

“Doing this as part of Torstar will help support the growth and expansion of quality community-based journalism.”

At the expense of...

The final death throes of a medium that's been on life support for decades.

https://www.thestar.com/business/202...n-deal.html?rf

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 12:35 PM

What happened to Andrew Dreschel? I havent seen him in the Spec for a long time, nor have I seen the kind of commentary he used to offer being written by anyone else. Has the Spec cut his position??

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 4:52 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyhamont View Post
What happened to Andrew Dreschel? I havent seen him in the Spec for a long time, nor have I seen the kind of commentary he used to offer being written by anyone else. Has the Spec cut his position??
I didn't know he had left. There are a few references to him online but I have not seen any columns in a while. Teviah Moro, Matthew Van Dongen and others have been handling the city hall stuff, but not in the same way... Dreschel was often critical in his commentary.

"A former staff columnist, Andrew Dreschel is a freelance contributing columnist for The Hamilton Spectator."
https://www.thestar.com/authors.dreschel_andrew.html

"Andrew Dreschel is a former longtime Hamilton Spectator columnist who covered City Hall and municipal politics."
https://www.hamiltonnews.com/hamilto...-b1d3032af5aa/

And he's not been active on Twitter since last February.
https://twitter.com/AndrewDreschel/with_replies?lang=en

Old Posted Mar 19, 2021, 11:27 PM

I for one have been enjoying the absence of Andrew Dreschel. We want journalism to be critical of council but he almost never failed to annoy me. Now Scott Radley is the annoying one and he doesn't really do city hall, just pushes the hot buttons and sore spots, poorly.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 6:47 PM
Hammer'd

Yeah I'll agree that I won't be missing Dreschel.
"Above all, Hamilton must learn to think like a city, not a suburban hybrid where residents drive everywhere. What makes Hamilton interesting is the fact it's a city. The sprawl that surrounds it, which can be found all over North America, is running out of time."

Old Posted Mar 20, 2021, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
Dreschel himself isn't necessarily a loss, sure, but I'll miss having someone with their finger to the pulse of council to the degree that he did. Scott Radley, VanDongen, Moro etc have their hands in too many stories to offer the insight that Dreschel could covering City Hall full-time. Is the Spec not planning to have anyone in that role going forward?

Old Posted Mar 21, 2021, 5:52 PM
Ham-burgher

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt602 View Post
There were times I thought he was way off base. And others where I completely agreed with him.

His role was inquisitor/devil's advocate. He did that well, I think, despite the occasional roll of my eyes at what I was reading in his columns.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 11:09 AM

The clock is ticking once again.

Canadian news outlets close physical offices, codifying remote work
(Toronto Star, Anita Balakrishnan, Mar 22 2021)

Some of Canada’s newsrooms will now permanently exist only in cyberspace, as publishers look to save money on physical offices amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

Torstar plans to permanently close the physical office spaces for the Waterloo Region Record and the St. Catharines Standard by the end of next month as the news media follows industries such as technology that have embraced remote work as a permanent default.

All staff at the two news outlets will work remotely on a permanent basis — following the same model as the Peterborough Examiner, which closed its offices last summer after the COVID-19 pandemic forced staff to work from home to avoid spreading the virus.

There will be no changes to headcount or the print and digital products as a result of the office closures, says Torstar spokesman Bob Hepburn, which allow the company to reduce office space leasing costs.

Torstar’s decision comes amid a similar shift in the U.S. and U.K., where the New York Daily News no longer has a physical newsroom and the publisher of Britain’s Daily Mirror is moving many employees to work from home near office hubs.…

Hepburn said that after a full year of remote work, the company views the model as a successful way to keep readers informed.

“Torstar remains fully committed to these publications, both in print and digital,” said Hepburn.

Read it in full here.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Business, Politics & the Economy