HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northend Guy View Post
Bowtie is 5 floors of residential. Ground floor has a couple of 1000SF Retail Suites.
I must say it would seem unusual to be living next to a huge mall parking lot, but I suppose it's not unique. Being surrounded by nothing but businesses would seem a little strange, though.

I suspect this is the first of many residential buildings in the area, and I can eventually see at least part of the former K-mart parking lot being developed at some point.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDartmouthMark View Post
I suspect this is the first of many residential buildings in the area, and I can eventually see at least part of the former K-mart parking lot being developed at some point.
And to think that I (and I suspect you) can remember when that whole side of Tacoma where The Bowtie is going up was still single-family dwellings, albeit some with ground-floor businesses...

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 4:12 PM

Looks like an area ripe with redevelopment opportunities. The presence of businesses like the Sobeys, Lawtons, restaurants, and other services certainly helps.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saul Goode View Post
And to think that I (and I suspect you) can remember when that whole side of Tacoma where The Bowtie is going up was still single-family dwellings, albeit some with ground-floor businesses...
That's just a little before my time. Here's how I remember it:

Source

And going a little further back, this:

Source

And the good ol' 1960s dream of Kmart with a huge parking lot where you would have to walk 5 minutes and dodge 20 inattentive drivers to make it safely from the far reaches of the lot...

Source

Old Posted Mar 9, 2021, 5:34 PM

Quote:
That's just a little before my time. Here's how I remember it:

And the good ol' 1960s dream of Kmart with a huge parking lot where you would have to walk 5 minutes and dodge 20 inattentive drivers to make it safely from the far reaches of the lot...
Spring chicken! Anyway, those last two photos are close to what I was talking about, but a little later - only one house remains. The businesses on Hartlen (particularly Lobster Hutch and McDonald's - the first in NS) mark the time as post-1971. Also, the K-Mart was initially free-standing. The attached mall and Dominion at the other end came a few years later.

I'm thinking of mid-60s, when K-Mart opened (I'm going on memory that that was '64, but could be mistaken). That was the spark for all the re-development on and around Tacoma.

Should have mentioned KFC, too - before being on the Tacoma-Hartlen corner they were on Prince Albert Road, across from the Superstore...I mean the Dartmouth Inn...

Last edited by Saul Goode; Mar 9, 2021 at 8:39 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 5:12 AM

It's been a while since anybody called me that!

I'm curious how homes that resided on Tacoma were torn down in the sixties, when the Woodlawn suburb would have only been a decade or two old, by recollection. However, I honestly don't know much if any of the history of this part of Dartmouth.

I do recall when McDonald's opened, it was quite exciting as I had experienced the chain during vacations to Maine previously, so it was a big deal when it opened in Dartmouth (ahhh, simpler times). Still recall the fish 'n' chips at the Lobster Hutch as well.

Seems to me the large flat building to the left of K-Mart housed a bowling alley.

Don't remember KFC being on PA Road, but I do recall the A&W that was located on the site of the strip mall, where they actually brought trays of food out to your car. My older brother used to cruise there with his friends in their souped up cars in the mid seventies.

Remember the Dartmouth Inn and the Sail Loft lounge as well...

Ahh, memories... lol

Now back to development news.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Man, you dudes must be way older than me!

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 12:24 PM

Quote:
I'm curious how homes that resided on Tacoma were torn down in the sixties, when the Woodlawn suburb would have only been a decade or two old, by recollection.
In my memory, the houses along that side of Tacoma were clearly much older than that, and preceded the 50s-60s Woodlawn development boom. They would have been "out in the county" before Dartmouth's explosive post-Macdonald Bridge growth.

Quote:
Seems to me the large flat building to the left of K-Mart housed a bowling alley.
Yes, that was the "other" Beazley Lanes, the "main" one being downtown on Pine, behind Greenvale School.

Quote:
Don't remember KFC being on PA Road, but I do recall the A&W that was located on the site of the strip mall, where they actually brought trays of food out to your car.
Yeah, that A&W survived into the late 70s or early 80s. In the early-mid 60s there was also a Tastee-Freez in that block; it may even have preceded the A&W on the same site (not old enough to remember that clearly). Tastee-Freez also operated an ice cream truck that was much loved in Dartmouth neighborhoods. For a time Dairy Queen on Main did the same - bonus! Two ice cream trucks in the hood! As I recall, the Tastee-Freez didn't last long after DQ came to town.

Right - back to development. Apologies for hijacking the thread.

Last edited by Saul Goode; Mar 10, 2021 at 12:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Older? Perish the thought. Just superior memory function...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 2:46 PM

Quote:
Suuuurrre we are...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 2:58 PM

Quote:
In my memory, the houses along that side of Tacoma were clearly much older than that, and preceded the 50s-60s Woodlawn development boom. They would have been "out in the county" before Dartmouth's explosive post-Macdonald Bridge growth.

Yes, that was the "other" Beazley Lanes, the "main" one being downtown on Pine, behind Greenvale School.

Yeah, that A&W survived into the late 70s or early 80s. In the early-mid 60s there was also a Tastee-Freez in that block; it may even have preceded the A&W on the same site (not old enough to remember that clearly). Tastee-Freez also operated an ice cream truck that was much loved in Dartmouth neighborhoods. For a time Dairy Queen on Main did the same - bonus! Two ice cream trucks in the hood! As I recall, the Tastee-Freez didn't last long after DQ came to town.

Right - back to development. Apologies for hijacking the thread.
That would make sense re: Tacoma homes. I sometimes forget how small Dartmouth was before the fifties. Recall years ago looking at an old Town of Dartmouth map and noting that Boundary Street in Woodside was actually on the town boundary.

The Beazley Lanes on Pine was a haunt for me back then as I was drawn by the lure of brightly lit pinball machines (my buddy and I would occasionally sneak away from recess at Greenvale to play the machines for a few games, and I recall having to leave some free games on the machine when recess period ran out if I was having a lucky streak... ). Liked it better than Bowlarama up on Ochterloney.

Tastee Freez rings a bell, as I recall a dairy bar other than DQ, but it's pretty fuzzy.

OK, back to development, we're making Keith feel young...

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:01 PM

Quote:
The Beazley Lanes on Pine was a haunt for me back then as I was drawn by the lure of brightly lit pinball machines (my buddy and I would occasionally sneak away from recess at Greenvale to play the machines for a few games, and I recall having to leave some free games on the machine when recess period ran out if I was having a lucky streak... ). Liked it better than Bowlarama up on Ochterloney.
Maybe I can make both you AND Keith feel young: I remember when you could get an ice cream cone at Beazley's Lanes for a nickel. I mean, it was a single scoop and not overly generous, but still...

By the way, I'm sure you meant "Bolodrome" on Ochterloney, not "Bowlarama". And yes, Beazley's was WAY better.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2021, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Maybe I can make both you AND Keith feel young: I remember when you could get an ice cream cone at Beazley's Lanes for a nickel. I mean, it was a single scoop and not overly generous, but still...

By the way, I'm sure you meant "Bolodrome" on Ochterloney, not "Bowlarama". And yes, Beazley's was WAY better.
Yes... Bolodrome, you're right! You DO have superior memory function!

Haha... yup, too young to remember nickel ice cream cones!

Old Posted Apr 11, 2021, 3:29 PM

A development permit has been issued for 100 unit residential building on Beaverbank Road between civics 342 & 358. This is across from the northern entrance to Woodbine Trailer Park and next to Emerson Driving Range.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
The Bowtie going up at 67 Tacoma Drive in The Village on Main. Signage indicates Artisans Hair Salon will be relocating here.

Halifax Developments Blog (Photo by David Jackson)
I drove past this today, is it now sporting a gabled roof and is almost fully clad. No wonder lumber prices are so high - this thing appears to be entirely stick-built. I hope it has a robust sprinkler system. Between the wood framing and the chipboard cladding it would go up like a book of matches if it ever caught fire.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2021, 9:36 PM

Quote:
I drove past this today, is it now sporting a gabled roof and is almost fully clad. No wonder lumber prices are so high - this thing appears to be entirely stick-built. I hope it has a robust sprinkler system. Between the wood framing and the chipboard cladding it would go up like a book of matches if it ever caught fire.
It is quite remarkable. I've been driving past it for months just marveling at the sheer volume of wood that's gone into it. The roof trusses went up a few weeks ago (that's a relatively old photo) and it looked like there were dozens of them - took them a few days to lift and install them all.

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 1:43 AM

Quote:
It is quite remarkable. I've been driving past it for months just marveling at the sheer volume of wood that's gone into it. The roof trusses went up a few weeks ago (that's a relatively old photo) and it looked like there were dozens of them - took them a few days to lift and install them all.
You guys have obviously not seen the second phase of Velo on Gottingen. Holy cow! It looks like a gigantic bird’s nest

Old Posted Apr 16, 2021, 10:30 AM

I know there have been some spectacular construction site fires in So Cal and elsewhere with these kind of builds when something makes them go up. There is no stopping them once they catch.

Old Posted May 2, 2021, 4:48 PM

WEBSITE is up for The Bowtie (67 Tacoma Drive). Rents start at $1400 which for a brand new build is pretty good. I've also included a photo of the new Bryony House being built up the street.

Photos taken by me. See my signature for a link to my blog.

Old Posted May 3, 2021, 9:26 PM

Dutch Village Road & Rosedale developments:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs