HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 5:46 PM

Question Looking for good urban home builders / higher density housing

We own a small house close to Ottawa Street North that is currently rented out.

We are considering demolishing the small home earlier than planned (we had planned to do this in about 12-15 years) and build a duplex or triplex. I believe the property is zoned for a duplex, but I have a call in to the City to double check. If it is zoned for a duplex I'm going to ask what we need to do, if it's even possible, to apply for triplex zoning.

Ideally we would like to build a fairly energy efficient triplex, and rent out all three units until we retire where we would move into one unit, my brother in the second and, if the city allows us to build a triplex, rent out the third unit.

That long story said, we are looking for really good home builders who specialize in rebuilding inner city homes. Does anyone here have some recommendations for me to contact?

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 7:12 PM

Use this resource to check the zoning

http://map.hamilton.ca/interactivemapsA/framesetup.asp

In the menu of the right hand side there's a "zoning" button which will display the zoning on the map.

Check the code it shows against the "Former City of Hamilton" zoning bylaws here: https://www.hamilton.ca/city-plannin...er-communities

I don't think that area is zoned for duplexes, but I haven't checked recently. You would probably be successful in applying for a variance though.

Old Posted May 11, 2016, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconPoutine View Post
Use this resource to check the zoning

http://map.hamilton.ca/interactivemapsA/framesetup.asp

In the menu of the right hand side there's a "zoning" button which will display the zoning on the map.

Check the code it shows against the "Former City of Hamilton" zoning bylaws here: https://www.hamilton.ca/city-plannin...er-communities

I don't think that area is zoned for duplexes, but I haven't checked recently. You would probably be successful in applying for a variance though.

I live in the area, we have legal duplexs and triplexs here

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 2:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addy View Post
We own a small house close to Ottawa Street North that is currently rented out.

We are considering demolishing the small home earlier than planned (we had planned to do this in about 12-15 years) and build a duplex or triplex. I believe the property is zoned for a duplex, but I have a call in to the City to double check. If it is zoned for a duplex I'm going to ask what we need to do, if it's even possible, to apply for triplex zoning.

Ideally we would like to build a fairly energy efficient triplex, and rent out all three units until we retire where we would move into one unit, my brother in the second and, if the city allows us to build a triplex, rent out the third unit.

That long story said, we are looking for really good home builders who specialize in rebuilding inner city homes. Does anyone here have some recommendations for me to contact?
Anything custom built with cost you alot more per sq ft even with the most basic features and finishes then say a similarly sized building in a new development.

Any builder can build anything that is properly designed and drafted.
I would not expect the builder just to guess what u want, you have to design and show them exactly what u need and want. I would say assume 250$ per sq ft minimum just to build.

I went thru this process last year...

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Urban, Urban Design & Heritage Issues