HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next

Old Posted Dec 31, 2011, 1:12 AM

Views of, and Views from, Los Angeles Bridges

I took these photos on December 26, 2011.

This is the Broadway Bridge over the Los Angeles River. It opened in 1911 (replacing a 19th Century wooden trestle bridge) and was originally known as the Buena Vista Bridge. It's usually more well-traveled, especially during rush hour, but being that this was the day after X-mas, there was hardly anyone on it.

Broadway Bridge in the foreground, the Spring Street bridge behind it.

Looking south towards downtown Los Angeles from the Park Row Street viaduct over the Arroyo Seco Parkway/CA-110.

First Street Bridge over the Los Angeles River. This had been undergoing widening and restoration for the last 3 years, to accommodate 4 lanes of automobile traffic and a set of light rail tracks. It finally reopened to two-way traffic the week before this Christmas.

View north of the 1st Street Bridge, looking towards the Santa Ana Freeway/US-101 bridge, and the Macy Street/Cesar Chavez Avenue bridge behind it (the one with the Spanish Baroque-style arches).

Looking south from the 1st Street Bridge, with the 4th Street Bridge and 6th Street Bridge beyond.

6th Street Bridge over the Los Angeles River. This bridge is actually in a sad state of disrepair, and will be knocked down, to be replaced by a cable-stayed bridge some years from now.

Looking at old photos of this bridge, it has actually lost some of its architectural embellishments over the years; those street lamps are obviously not the originals. This bridge had opened in the early 1930s.

View of the 7th Street Bridge, with the Santa Monica Freeway/Interstate 10 behind it. The 7th Street Bridge is actually 2 bridges, the lower one having been built in the 1910s, and the upper one built in the 1920s. The lower deck isn't used; there are plans to turn it into some kind of marketplace.

View of the 4th Street Bridge.

4th Street Bridge in front, 1st Street Bridge behind.

~ Charles Bukowski

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos