HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 11:55 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Painting the Maritime Center

I was just looking at some of the webcams from downtown and I was thinking. I'm thinking similar to what happened with Brunswick Towers now known as Ocean Towers. Would the Maritime Center benefit from a fresh color? I'm talking about just the white and not that crazy purple. People seem to hate it because it looks like a giant concrete wall. I personally think it would really help it stand out in a good way in skyline instead of the current sore thumb look. This would also take away the 2 tone color it has now because of the addition that was done.
I'm curious to see what the rest of you think?

Photo from skyscrapercity.com

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 12:50 PM
Honored Member

Some sort of surface treatment to make the two mismatched sections blend together would be desirable. I actually like the Martime Centre - I think it is one of Halifax's most impressive buildings.

I think the Maritime Centre is a great building, the way that the windows are recessed makes it stand out, in my opinion.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 2:17 PM

I personally like it just the way it is. It might be better if they could get rid of the two tone, but I can't see that happening unless they did a full reclad.
Unlike Ocean Towers, the concrete on the outside of Maritime Centre is actually a hung concrete cladding. Ocean Towers are just poured concrete. So if the building was entirely reclad then maybe it would be worth a change. But I could never see them painting the concrete panels.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 2:18 PM

I think painted concrete looks cheap, personally. It worked for Ocean Towers because they were ugly to begin with.

That said, I wouldn't be opposed to some sort of cosmetic upgrade, but I'd prefer they don't do it on the cheap.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 3:57 PM
Closed account

I think in this instance, based on factors stated in above posts, that painting this building may actually make it look worse.

Fortis seems to love their red brick and grey concrete buildings. Unless panels start to fall off I don't see a recladding in the future either.

Old Posted Sep 27, 2010, 9:27 PM

Painting is not a good idea. Maybe recladding... but not painting.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 12:00 AM

i actually like this building the way it is, i also like how it fits into its surroundings and the skyline. I never used to like it that much but i guess it grew on me.
painting it wouldn't be the way to go, but maybe if i saw it painted in a way that really worked i might change my mind.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 12:13 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
I was just looking at some of the webcams from downtown and I was thinking. I'm thinking similar to what happened with Brunswick Towers now known as Ocean Towers. Would the Maritime Center benefit from a fresh color? I'm talking about just the white and not that crazy purple. People seem to hate it because it looks like a giant concrete wall. I personally think it would really help it stand out in a good way in skyline instead of the current sore thumb look. This would also take away the 2 tone color it has now because of the addition that was done.
I'm curious to see what the rest of you think?
I have thought of this before and think its a good idea... something needs to be done eventually.

Instead of painting, what about replacing the concrete panels with something like they are recladding FCP with in Toronto? A frosty white cladding would turn this building from a 5/10 into a 8/10 appearance-wise.

I love the form/shape of Maritime Centre!

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 1:27 AM

The story, perhaps urban myth or perhaps not, is that when they did the addition they specified the shade of concrete for the new panels precisely, thinking that it would weather like the original section did and that it would eventually match perfectly. For whatever reason, that didn't happen.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 3:22 AM

Cladding - definately; painting no. Maintenance nightmare, especially if it starts pealing.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 5:46 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
I think the Maritime Centre is a great building, the way that the windows are recessed makes it stand out, in my opinion.
It's not perfect but it definitely feels like a real office tower and it has the glass elevators. Scotia Square similarly has an interesting urban appeal if you forget for a moment about some of its side effects.

I would like to see a few more buildings around the Maritime Centre. Partly this cannot happen due to the viewplanes, but if the Alexander is built I think it will really complement the existing tower.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2010, 10:23 AM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

What options are out there to clean/resurface the concrete? Could it be sanded for lack of the proper term? This would remove the weathered effects from both sets of paneling. Might be too messy maybe? Not cost effective? I can't remember for sure but isn't the concrete porous looking and not exactly smooth, so maybe this idea is no good either.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth