HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyeJay View Post
Seeing an 'uptown' Quinpool would be a dream come true, but I seriously doubt any larger development will proceed due to Quinpool's horrible infrastructure. Driving on that road, and the on-street parking, is a nightmare. The unlikelihood is compounded further by Quinpool's location of being SQUISHED between two large low-density residential areas--containing people who don't want to see anything change.

Without some municipal attention to things such as parking and especially traffic flow (i.e.: protecting residential areas from what would be Quinpool's increased traffic; making these residential side-streets 'entry only' onto Quinpool), high-rise projects are not an option.

If, however, attention was given to Quinpool, then the sky's the limit for what we could develop. Haha, who knows...perhaps one day some developers will be offering luxurious Quinpool apartment units and condos that are so high up they are able to offer amazing views of the historical downtown.
Both Quinpool and Kempt are good examples of the time warp that Halifax is locked into. In terms of Quinpool the concept of on-street parking being allowed on one of the few major arteries into the downtown core is a relic of the 1950s. Any attempt to change that has run into huge opposition. Kempt is even more of a relic. When you look at the images posted above, you can see a street whose basic structure has not changed since the 1940s, despite the addition of car dealerships and other newer buildings. It has always been an underperforming street.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 3:09 PM

Unfortunately you won't see the structure of Kempt change anytime soon. IMO for any significant development to occur on Kempt it will come as a spill over effect from development on Young.

Gladstone ridge and the Hydrostone have helped kick start a small interest in the redevelopment of this end of the peninsula, but its not enough. That's why I was pulling for Willow Park as the possible sight for the new stadium. Although Shannon Park could help also, if only indirectly.

A serious development of this kind would do wonders in drawing both people and businesses back to this area in a major way. Hotels and high density residences would be quite viable and the land for these is readily available, i.e. the Bloomfield area as well as those awful strip malls along Young to name a few.

You won't see Gladstone ridge style or mixed use developments along Kempt road until the adjacent areas develop fully. In particular the lot I rent wouldn't be viable as it borders the Ocean concrete facility, which is not only noisy, but fills the air with tons of dust. I know I wouldn't live beside it.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 7:53 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndHali View Post
Unfortunately you won't see the structure of Kempt change anytime soon. IMO for any significant development to occur on Kempt it will come as a spill over effect from development on Young.

Gladstone ridge and the Hydrostone have helped kick start a small interest in the redevelopment of this end of the peninsula, but its not enough. That's why I was pulling for Willow Park as the possible sight for the new stadium. Although Shannon Park could help also, if only indirectly.

A serious development of this kind would do wonders in drawing both people and businesses back to this area in a major way. Hotels and high density residences would be quite viable and the land for these is readily available, i.e. the Bloomfield area as well as those awful strip malls along Young to name a few.

You won't see Gladstone ridge style or mixed use developments along Kempt road until the adjacent areas develop fully. In particular the lot I rent wouldn't be viable as it borders the Ocean concrete facility, which is not only noisy, but fills the air with tons of dust. I know I wouldn't live beside it.
Small power centres with shopping like the shops at Dartmouth Crossing may get Kempt Rd. moving in a higher density direction. Buildings such as Young tower or perhaps hotels could make inroads in the Kempt Rd. district and better utilize the prime location.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 7:56 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I agree.

Quote:

Shannon Park has been mentioned an aweful lot. It would help that dead area of Dartmouth, and therefore HRM as a whole, but I also see your view of how the area around Willow Park is perfectly ripe. Having a moderate level of development already, a stadium would jolt this area; and this area has the required road system to support this; AND this would mean a stadium on the peninsula!

In all honesty, I'm fine with Shannon Park--because we stadium beggars can't be choosers. But I agree that having a stadium on the peninsula--more directly stimulating the downtown with capital--is the preferable decision.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 10:54 PM

I can see the Kempt Rd. car lots being used for a mass transit depot of some sort- it's close to the rails, and at the head of the Bedford Highway.

Of course, I think that kind of mass transit is highly unlike to ever happen here.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2011, 7:14 PM

Photos by me:

Old Posted Nov 16, 2011, 1:50 AM

This is coming along nicely.

I don't have photos since my camera got buried in the move but I live a couple of blocks over so when I find it I'll snap a few.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 2:54 AM

As mentioned this is coming along nicely, been awhile since an update :

Old Posted Nov 17, 2011, 4:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Harlington- View Post
As mentioned this is coming along nicely, been awhile since an update :

I don't get home often , how does the street-scape of that area look now with all these developments?
Must have it's own little skyline by now huh?

Old Posted Nov 18, 2011, 9:15 PM

Bad quality phone photo from the Quinpool Tower:

Old Posted Nov 26, 2011, 8:38 PM

Not the greatest photos by me:

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 4:04 AM

I walk by this quite often now and it does look good but what hasn't been mentioned is the odd slope along this building on Almon Street. They don't appear to be installing any steps which means all of the street level activity will be limited to Gladstone Street (which is good and bad).

Once this building and the associated duplexes are complete Gladstone Street will look awesome! The lack of driveways and high quaity buildings really make this block nice to walk down. I just hope the Legion and adjacent taxi dispatch centre can be redeveloped in the next couple of years.

BTW have I mentioned that I LOVE living in the shadow of Gladstone Ridge yet?

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 5:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I walk by this quite often now and it does look good but what hasn't been mentioned is the odd slope along this building on Almon Street. They don't appear to be installing any steps

I noticed this as well, its some sort of concrete wall looking thing sloping on almon, i didnt think much of it because i was under the impression that there will be storefronts on Almon but apparently not

Unless they somehow put some in but it does not appear that way

As long as we get some storefronts i guess its all good .

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 4:31 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

Looking at the past few picture posts it's clear that Gladstone St's power lines should be buried. It would make this building so much more appealing.

Old Posted Dec 5, 2011, 5:07 PM

I drove by today on the way to work, and I thought I saw a cutout for steps, mind you I was tunring left onto Almon from Gladstone, so from that angle I could have been looking at something else.

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 1:10 AM

I dug out my camera today. Its does look like a staircase could be installed along Almon Street about mid-way down the building. Hopefully they make the retaining wall a bit more attractive then most dead walls in the neighbourhood;

Old Posted Dec 7, 2011, 2:38 AM
Salty Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
I dug out my camera today. Its does look like a staircase could be installed along Almon Street about mid-way down the building. Hopefully they make the retaining wall a bit more attractive then most dead walls in the neighbourhood;

This building is going up almost as slow as Spice did..........

Old Posted Jan 26, 2012, 6:12 PM

PHOTO TIME! (all pics by me yesterday)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2012, 7:31 PM

View from Shoppers on Robie & Almon. Photo by me.

Old Posted Mar 10, 2012, 9:05 PM

Crane came down today, photos by me:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth