HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 10:19 PM

^Again something like this

Old Posted Apr 3, 2011, 11:19 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmajackson View Post
^Again something like this

This photo creates a bit of an optical illusion - the foundation seems to be sinking into the ground.

Old Posted May 11, 2011, 12:55 AM

From sometime recently;

Good ol' DJ photos

Old Posted May 16, 2011, 3:26 AM

Almost there .... just one more thread to go:

Old Posted Jul 3, 2011, 5:25 AM

Uhh ... my camera's zoom was not cooperating today;

Old Posted Jul 26, 2011, 12:52 AM

Just another shot from my baby;

Old Posted Jul 27, 2011, 7:43 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

I like this project because it is the sort of thing that could be repeated pretty much wherever on the peninsula. It's a basic "background" building. A conservative estimate is that it will have 150 residents when completed. Build 100 of these, one every few blocks (in practice mostly along the more major streets), and the population of the peninsula will go up by 15,000.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2011, 12:03 AM

From yesterday;

Old Posted Sep 4, 2011, 10:47 PM

This will have some skyline impact;

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 2:25 PM

Here are some photos I snapped today, this ones slipping under the radar in a way, so I grabbed a few angles of it.

Old Posted Sep 5, 2011, 9:51 PM
we built this city

I'll say it again... I love that it covers the butt ugly vinyl siding section on the building behind.

The legion is pretty rough looking.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
The legion is pretty rough looking.
Matches their clentele...

Their building used to be a Shell gas station back in the '70s. The result of conversion is what you see.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 2:50 PM

For me, I agree with someone123 but there is something better about this project. It's taking a section of the Peninsula that had been mostly heavy commercial/industrial in nature and turning it into an area where people want to live. It's creating good density and building up the neighbourhood quite nicely.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 5:40 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by halifaxboyns View Post
For me, I agree with someone123 but there is something better about this project. It's taking a section of the Peninsula that had been mostly heavy commercial/industrial in nature and turning it into an area where people want to live. It's creating good density and building up the neighbourhood quite nicely.
I agree 100%... now if only other areas can be developed like this.

Old Posted Sep 6, 2011, 10:26 PM
Salty Town

Quote:
This area has the most potential on the Peninsula. It flies under the radar and you won't see Alan Ruffman opposing a 20 storey building on Kempt Rd. The used car mindset has to go.......this is area is shrouded in potential and it is being wasted.

Prime on Kempt Rd.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax...12,297.37,,0,0

Prime on Kempt Rd.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=halifax...12,341.57,,0,0

Last edited by Empire; Sep 8, 2011 at 3:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 1:49 AM

I don't think that particular lot is going to waste. I'm doing quite well owning and operating a business on that property

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 7:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestEndHali View Post

I don't think that particular lot is going to waste. I'm doing quite well owning and operating a business on that property
There you go!
I dunno this area I just can't see changing from an auto oriented form. I hate to be difficult, but I just can't see this area being someplace that even if you had a whole bunch of mixed use buildings pop up, people would really want to live?

It might work more if the strip mall lot (next to the superstore) and the superstore redeveloped, but I just can't see it...I don't know why I have such a block in this one area lol!

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 7:47 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

There are a lot of areas that can be built up before Kempt Road, which is obviously kind of out of the way. Young Street is a good candidate, for example.

There's also a need for a certain amount of car-oriented stuff even on the peninsula, like car rental places.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 8:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
There are a lot of areas that can be built up before Kempt Road, which is obviously kind of out of the way. Young Street is a good candidate, for example.

There's also a need for a certain amount of car-oriented stuff even on the peninsula, like car rental places.
I think you hit the nail on the head for my block. For me, I'm seeing a progression of areas of 'interest' on the peninsula. Obviously SGR and downtown are the prime, but now we're also seeing what I will broadly call the 'south end' (mainly around Fenwick, but would also include the VIC area).

Then you've had the area around this site and the Hydrostone. I think this area will develop quicker with this project and a few more, along with the Hydrostone.

The next areas I think suspect will see big interest will be Quinpool; Gottingen/Agricola and then probably what I would call the 'forum lands' - which includes the Superstore area of Young. My dream would be to see the Canada Post facility move off the peninsula - that alone would free up a huge chunk of the area, which if you put in towers in the 20 to 30 storey range could easily bulk up the population in the range of 7,000 to 15,000 range (depending on the unit mix).

Leaving Kempt Road as an 'auto' oriented area (plus that small area of Robie that also includes some car dealerships) isn't a bad thing considering the level of opportunities on the Peninsula.

Old Posted Sep 11, 2011, 8:49 AM
BANNED

Quote:
The next areas I think suspect will see big interest will be Quinpool; Gottingen/Agricola and then probably what I would call the 'forum lands' - which includes the Superstore area of Young.
Seeing an 'uptown' Quinpool would be a dream come true, but I seriously doubt any larger development will proceed due to Quinpool's horrible infrastructure. Driving on that road, and the on-street parking, is a nightmare. The unlikelihood is compounded further by Quinpool's location of being SQUISHED between two large low-density residential areas--containing people who don't want to see anything change.

Without some municipal attention to things such as parking and especially traffic flow (i.e.: protecting residential areas from what would be Quinpool's increased traffic; making these residential side-streets 'entry only' onto Quinpool), high-rise projects are not an option.

If, however, attention was given to Quinpool, then the sky's the limit for what we could develop. Haha, who knows...perhaps one day some developers will be offering luxurious Quinpool apartment units and condos that are so high up they are able to offer amazing views of the historical downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth