HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 7:33 PM

The rumour in the neighborhood is that there is a plan for developing the land next to the bridge (condos? apartments?) but I don't know how far along this is. With Notting Village underway hopefully the land by the bridge will be next. It would be very good to see the old nightclub building 'gone', it's an eyesore. JET

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 7:58 PM

Yah, last I heard Ekistics was working on something for that site. I was told it would be of a substantial size and density. But that was back in the spring, and haven't heard anything since.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 8:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
I like this project more and more, the area needs developments like this. Anybody know what the story is with regards to the empty lots near the bridge?
Bought by someone in PEI i believe.

Last i heard they were intending to turn it into a Hotel

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 8:30 PM

Are these lots just off Windmill or in that small neighbourhood on the waterfront?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 8:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Are these lots just off Windmill or in that small neighbourhood on the waterfront?
Lots just to the left of the bridge (approaching dartmouth) on windmill road.

They use to be owned by Landmark Developments, and were sold 3rd Qtr 2007 i believe.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 8:44 PM

On Microsoft Live it shows no empty lots but right next to the bridge there are some buildings off Windmill Rd.

Wouldnt there be some sort of secutiry problem because of the subs next door on the DND lands?

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 9:29 PM
we built this city

I do remember seeing a completely unrealistic rendering (a la HRM by Design style) of what the area could look like.

I'm optimistic about Dartmouth's growth.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 9:51 PM

I wonder if they own the sizable amount of waterfront? If the hotel goes in behind the railroad then this could be a sizable park, "Bridge Park". Hopefully someday they'll continue the trail from Alderney Landing up to these lots.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 11:06 PM

I don't think any of the land being discussed is near the waterfront. The lot in question is fronting on Wyse Rd just north of the MacDonald bridge, next to the strip mall and NSLC stores immediately adjacent to the bridge. The lot was sold to Danny Murphy of Charlottetown (http://www.dpminc.com/) whose company runs a bunch of fast food and hotel franchises. I suspect it will be one of those franchise hotels he runs (Super 8 or Hampton, but probably not a Holiday Inn Express since there is a full service Holiday Inn just down the street) though I wonder if that location is all that great for a decent hotel. There was talk earlier about some other things for the site: an Ultramar gas station, c-store and strip mall, or a relocated Metro transit terminal. The NSLC has been sniffing around to see if there is any opportunity to relocate, I'm told, and in turn selling their property.

Old Posted Nov 14, 2008, 11:20 PM

^Oh that lot. My bad. I thought i was off Windmill Road not Wyse Road. That lot is defenitely in need of an upgrade.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2008, 1:22 PM

Re: Post # 29; from today's Herald: New Dartmouth Bus Terminal:
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1090999.html
It would be nice if Dartmouth High could get an upgraded sports field as part of this. JET

Old Posted Nov 20, 2008, 4:07 AM

I drove by today and the foundations are laid for the first building. The 3 storey building right on the corner.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2008, 7:55 PM

The supports are almost all in for supporting the 2nd floor. JET

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 5:57 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Some leasing info for this development is here - http://www.partnersglobal.com/files/...1932b1edee.pdf

I agree that it's unfortunate that the parking lot is in front of one of the buildings instead of in behind.

Old Posted Jan 11, 2009, 9:17 PM

^Thats the complaint I have too and to make it worse the parking lot is on Wyse Road and not the side street.

This must be progressing quickly if they expect to have it open by August.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2009, 4:25 AM

I was by this tonight and they were starting on the supports for the third floor.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 1:36 AM

This article was in the Dartmouth Community News this week.

Hopes run high for Dartmouth revitalization
First phase of $25m Notting Village project underway
By Our Staff
Mon. Feb 23 - 11:12 AM

There are high hopes in Dartmouth that redevelopment of the former Notting Park school site will fuel revitalization of the Wyse Road and Boland Road neighbourhood.

Construction is underway on the first phase of Notting Village, which over the next few years will bring over 100 high-end rental units, and thousands of square feet of commercial space, to the neighbourhood near the Angus L. Macdonald Bridge that has seen few construction cranes in recent years.

The first phase — under construction at the Boland Street side of the former school site — includes rental units and ground-floor commercial space in a three-storey building that features some heritage design touches.

The second phase calls for a similar four-storey strip of residential and commercial space fronting Wyse Road.

A third, and final phase, would add a seven-storey apartment building to the site, which retains some existing buildings that house a daycare and gymnasium.

The $25-million project, by Arsenal Developments Ltd., was proposed in 2004 and moved slowly through the approvals process to obtain the required rezoning in 2007 without the sort of controversy that has plagued the Waterside Centre project adjacent to Historic Properties in downtown Halifax.

A decision by the Nova Scotia Utility and Review Board on the proposed $16-million Halifax project is pending.

Coun. Jim Smith (Albro Lake-Harbourview) said there were some critics, but many people are cheering for the Dartmouth project and hope it will spark a turnaround for a neighbourhood that fought a lengthy battle against a strip club in the area.

"This is a very attractive development that includes residential and commercial space. It is designed to attract more people to the area," said the councillor.

Architect Dan Goodspeed said portions of the development that face Wyse Road and Boland Street include some historic touches to rooflines and windows and also some facade variation to add street appeal.

The mix of residential and commercial space is ideal for an urban neighbourhood, he said.

"The thinking in design today is that we want to encourage people to live and work in the city," he said.

The developers plan to continue construction as space is leased.

"There has not been a lot of development in the area in recent years. We’re hoping this will be the beginning of something big," said Hossein Mousavi, a spokesman for the developers.

Commercial and residential space in the first phase of Notting Village, facing Boland Street, will be available in September.

( newsroom@herald.ca)

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 1:49 AM

^Sounds like good news

Has anybody been around there lately?

Old Posted Feb 24, 2009, 7:52 PM

Yes, I drove by the other day. They are working on the columns of the 3rd floor.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2009, 9:54 PM

I noticed you can also see this one popping up over the other buildings when your driving across into Dartmouth on the bridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth