HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 4:17 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

The first of the three is pretty good. Glass balconies often look really sharp, as do floor-to-ceiling windows. The overall design of that building is simple but doesn't look cheap, which I think is perfect for a background apartment building or condo. The third building is okay from the perspective of massing but anything can be made to look terrible when precast and stucco are overused. It reminds me of an overgrown big box store, basically one step above vinyl siding (thankfully that has gone out of fashion in the city - there's also the newer cement board siding available which looks way better). I also tend to dislike the heavy looking balconies.

Hopefully the new Gladstone building will set a good precedent in the North End. That end of the city needs maybe 40 or 50 of those buildings along with a bunch of new townhouses (which would work out to about 10,000 new residents).

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 10:03 AM

I like the first building, and the last one (the Madison.) These would look great in Halifax.

I don't care for the building in the middle pics, as it just looks kinda cheap to me, and unappealing.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 1:50 AM

This has a name now. It is called "Garden Stone Place". Saw an ad for apartments in it on kijiji tonight.

Moderator: Can you please update the name of this thread.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 2:07 AM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
This has a name now. It is called "Garden Stone Place". Saw an ad for apartments in it on kijiji tonight.

Moderator: Can you please update the name of this thread.
That has been known since last year... but this project is complete, so it doesn't really matter.

It is listed as Garden Stone Place in the Compilation thread.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2010, 4:08 PM
Closed account

Still plenty of work going on inside.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 6:05 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

As far as I know this is totally completed now but there's an interesting compilation of construction photos here: http://www.mnarch.ca/Garden%20Stone%...Animation.html

Here's a photo of the completed building:

Source

Still not thrilled about the precast on upper storeys but the ground level finishing is better than most other developments. The illuminated "Garden Stone Place" sign is interesting, as is the dark brick.

If Halifax continues to see get new buildings like this at a good clip it is going to be a much improved city.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 9:01 AM

lol, I just wish that that Starbucks wasn't there. I don't even have a problem with Starbucks, but you can easily get coffee that's at least as good across the street and it dosen't really fit with the small shops of the Market.

Overall a pretty nice endcap for the Hydrostone, though. Would have been kinda cool to see some kind of reference to it in the materials or something but whatever.

Last edited by CorbeauNoir; Feb 7, 2011 at 9:12 AM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
lol, I just wish that that Starbucks wasn't there. I don't even have a problem with Starbucks, but you can easily get coffee that's at least as good across the street and it dosen't really fit with the small shops of the Market.
you can't get coffee elsewhere on the Market past 5.... or if it's a Monday... or if you prefer espresso drinks that aren't both bitter and watery...

ahem.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2011, 8:12 PM

Well you could walk to the tim horton's on Robie and Young if you wanted a Tim's.

This building isn't perfect, but it's pretty good. If Halifax got more buildings like this and Hollis/Morris in the south end and around here - you would get a really impressive area that would have way more density and might support something like a streetcar down Agricola. But that's just my dream.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2012, 7:39 PM

So I absolutely love this building at night-time. (Urban_Halifax @ Flickr)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2012, 5:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
As far as I know this is totally completed now but there's an interesting compilation of construction photos here: http://www.mnarch.ca/Garden%20Stone%...Animation.html

If Halifax continues to see get new buildings like this at a good clip it is going to be a much improved city.
pretty cool slide show, itwould be nice if more developments did something along those lines of a little slide show for those of us who take intrest in developments there but live elsewhere.....

I find this is the type of urban development the city needs mixed with some well preserved heritage and true high rises.Kinda meninds me of a little urban building in say T.O or Van... I like it!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth