HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 2:53 PM

Its been a few years since I was at SMU, but that rink was pretty run down even then. Water used to drip from the ceiling and then freeze on the ice surface in little raised brownish lumps. IIRC they repaired the roof a few years ago.

As for the rest, it is just an older rink and could use an updating, not the best I have ever played in, but by far not the worst (devonshire arena, still had chainlink fencing instead of plexiglass) lol

Old Posted Jul 9, 2009, 8:42 PM

the sign say's...future site of the center for health and welness....

then it says in brackets, in smaller writing....

.including the tower and Dauphinee rink.....l
last time I only glanced at the top writing, and assumed there would be a new wellness center, but it turns out that they are just building an arena, getting rid of all the asphalt, landscaping around the two, and calling it a center combined...so you where right, but the sign was a little misleading

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 3:24 AM

I'm guessing its safe to assume that this building is complete now?

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
I am living in res at SMU, and therefore walk by this multiple times per day. On the outside, it appears to be done, but as far as inside goes, can't say. It's not open yet so I'm assuming there's still work to be done inside.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 4:11 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bedford_DJ View Post
Put it in the complete projects section anyway... all of these tiny projects really make it hard to see the bigger picture.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 4:14 PM
we built this city

Quote:
Originally Posted by BravoZulu View Post
Its been a few years since I was at SMU, but that rink was pretty run down even then. Water used to drip from the ceiling and then freeze on the ice surface in little raised brownish lumps. IIRC they repaired the roof a few years ago.

As for the rest, it is just an older rink and could use an updating, not the best I have ever played in, but by far not the worst (devonshire arena, still had chainlink fencing instead of plexiglass) lol
The chainlink was crazy... practice used to be like playing in some crazy mad max or sci fi sporting event.

Old Posted Sep 30, 2009, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worldlyhaligonian View Post
Put it in the complete projects section anyway... all of these tiny projects really make it hard to see the bigger picture.
I will. To me its been done for months really ...

Old Posted Oct 1, 2009, 7:38 PM

okay, it is done now. opened today i believe

Old Posted Oct 6, 2009, 10:03 PM

Breath of fresh air
SMU’s living wall looks great but it’s enhanced air quality that students, visitors will notice
By BILL SPURR Features Writer
Tue. Oct 6 - 4:45 AM

FROM A DISTANCE, it looks like a really ambitious mural. But up close, the newly installed living wall at Saint Mary’s University is, well, alive.

Three storeys of plants, more than a thousand of them, are in Atlantic Canada’s first living wall, part of SMU’s new $17.5-million Atrium, a connector building that links the university’s library to several other academic buildings.

Work on the Atrium started a year and a half ago, and the construction crew putting on the finishing touches does its work in front of a steady stream of students.

"If you go up close enough, you can actually hear the water going down and you can see the water droplets," said Caitlin Dix, the student rep on SMU’s sustainability committee.

"There’s water running the whole time, it goes all the way down and then back up through a system, and back down again. They’re constantly being watered at their roots."

The 14 species of plants, all from Florida because there aren’t any native plants that stay in leaf all year round, were installed over a week in September. The project is scheduled to be completed within the next couple of weeks and the wall, while esthetically pleasing, is more importantly something of an air improvement marvel.

"About 19,000 cubic feet of air per minute is going through that wall, back down to our general ventilation system, then it’s shot back up into the area, so it just keeps circulating around," said Gary Schmeisser, director of facilities management for Saint Mary’s. "We pull air through the plants into ducts, then heat or cool it, mix a little bit of outdoor fresh air in, then put it back into the area."

The process increases the rate at which carbon dioxide, breathed out by humans, is converted to oxygen. So, no longer can stuffy air be used as an excuse for getting drowsy in the library.

"We have to bring in less air from the outside, so during the winter we heat less air and during the summer we cool less, so our energy costs should go down. It’s a new thing, so we haven’t found out how much yet," Schmeisser said.

He promised the difference in air quality will be noticeable.

Dix, a graduate student with a BA in environmental studies, said the university had students on the committee struck to oversee design of the Atrium, appropriate given the interest in the environment by young people.

"Our generation has grown up with ‘be sustainable, recycle.’ It’s really instilled into our brains now. So we see a living wall, we think ‘Oh, a living wall. Yeah, it should be there.’ And for students studying it, they can see and touch the actual application," she said. "The students have been pushing for sustainability, for the big things on campus to be more sustainable, with the green roof that’s also happening. I’m not sure that every student understands exactly what a bio-wall is yet, but they understand that it’s something that’s helping us towards our sustainability goals."

Saint Mary’s has been looking at ways to be kinder to the earth since at least 1971, when a grass roof was planted on the newly completed library. One benefit of a grass roof is that it retains rain water so there isn’t as much runoff into storm sewers. But decades of mowing that roof led to hope of a better way, and now a SMU biologist is developing plants to be installed next spring on the roof of the Atrium. The new roof, divided into 16 sections, will be open to visitors.

"You don’t want to worry about weeding, about mowing," Schmeisser said. "It doesn’t dry up in the summer, or die in the winter."

( bspurr@herald.ca )

Old Posted Oct 7, 2009, 3:56 AM

I'll grab some pictures of this tomorrow. It's really cool!

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 5:02 AM

Since I was in the area I shot a completed photo for this project;

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth