HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta

Old Posted Yesterday, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner_Terminus View Post
I hope they reconnect 16th Street
Minor (but interesting) historical note: the naming and alignment of the streets in Midtown makes it seem like they used to be connected, but they never were. The broken up layout is an artifact of the haphazard development in the 1800s, before it was part of Atlanta. Streets have been added or realigned since then but I don't know of any ever being removed.

Old Posted Yesterday, 2:03 AM

With the level of bus service at Marta these days you can do away with almost the entire bus canopy.

Also, they should at least connect 16th for pedestrians! There is, however, quite a grade change right there.

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSurgeon View Post
Minor (but interesting) historical note: the naming and alignment of the streets in Midtown makes it seem like they used to be connected, but they never were. The broken up layout is an artifact of the haphazard development in the 1800s, before it was part of Atlanta. Streets have been added or realigned since then but I don't know of any ever being removed.
Now that is quite interesting. Explains midtown's at times haphazard layout.

Agree with you there testarossa50. The grade change is pretty significant. Perhaps a wide stair case and wide sidewalks leading to the station/development.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:28 AM

Weren't they basically a bunch of different names back then, too? I don't even think they were numbered when they built them.

Old Posted Yesterday, 12:45 PM

Whistler update (Spring and Abercrombie Place)

Source on Twitter

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Good points. I was mostly working off the vague assumption they would redevelop the whole block from the ground up. Allowing them to redesign the bus depot/loop.

Honestly the block directly south, with the IBM building, Promenade, etc. is a much worse offender of the super-duper blocks I'm complaining about.

I am all for widening sidewalks and creating protected bike lanes on 17th and elsewhere.
Just to add a little more (worthless) info. I believe the land open for development will be the entire lot (green). I suspect the MARTA Buss entrance/exit would be the same but covered/garage. Also another problem of extending 16th St is elevation difference. 16th St is probably >10' elevated above the MARTA station (red line).

Of course it is basically a "clean sheet" open plan at this point.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by testarossa50 View Post
With the level of bus service at Marta these days you can do away with almost the entire bus canopy.

Also, they should at least connect 16th for pedestrians! There is, however, quite a grade change right there.
It is actually fairly busy. Also there are a few shuttles that use it too like Atlantic Station shuttle.

Agree about pedestrians but see my post about elevation. It is FAR too steep and would require a ramping grade that may be impractical. Here is an idea of the elevation problem.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
Just to add a little more (worthless) info. I believe the land open for development will be the entire lot (green). I suspect the MARTA Buss entrance/exit would be the same but covered/garage. Also another problem of extending 16th St is elevation difference. 16th St is probably >10' elevated above the MARTA station (red line).

Of course it is basically a "clean sheet" open plan at this point.
Looking over the site more, there is the pedestrian connection to the bus depot just 100' down Arts Center, which will presumably be retained in some capacity with the new development.

On a side note, i really hope they break up the block with two separate structures. It seems like with all these new developments, they build a massive parking deck, plop 2-4 towers on top, and call it a day. It makes everything feel very monolithic.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:32 PM

Quote:
Looking over the site more, there is the pedestrian connection to the bus depot just 100' down Arts Center, which will presumably be retained in some capacity with the new development.

On a side note, i really hope they break up the block with two separate structures. It seems like with all these new developments, they build a massive parking deck, plop 2-4 towers on top, and call it a day. It makes everything feel very monolithic.
The pedestrian connection does require an elevator ride down or stairs down to the MARTA station. It is actually an almost nice small park with tables, people sitting under trees but often with homeless. Part of the high pedestrian count in the area. I'm running in the morning and will take a pic of it.

If they do extend 16th St I hope they do it similar to the way Midtown Union did Arts Center Way across West Peachtree street. Kinda limited access, tastefully done and discouraging to through traffic.

EDIT: While from 2020 this is a common sight of the way 16th St looks by the High.

Last edited by Julien; Yesterday at 9:11 PM.

Old Posted Today, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julien View Post
It is actually fairly busy. Also there are a few shuttles that use it too like Atlantic Station shuttle.
If’s got five MARTA bus routes, 4 of which run on a 45 minute headway and one on a 15 minute headway—something like 10 buses per hour.. Then Atlantic Station and Cobb Linc. I believe all the other buses just use the curb on West Peachtree.

It can and should be handled in a much smaller bus terminal—we need to get rid of these suburban layout Marta stations!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast > Atlanta