HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 2:51 PM

^^^ also there’s 100% less people and the sky is 10x less blue and my cat has whiskers.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
^^^ also there’s 100% less people and the sky is 10x less blue and my cat has whiskers.
But the sky doesn't get bluer and your cat won't grow more whiskers, but trees do grow taller and these will.

I assume the rendering was intended to depict the scene in a few years, not immediately.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 5:40 PM

Only in San Francisco!

There's a bridge in Chicago i want to sel to whoever approved this...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:11 PM
Build Baby Build

Just to state what may not be obvious, trees are transported as 'young adults' and are usually only a few years old. This is mostly because larger trees weigh far more and do not handle the 'stress' as well. It also makes it easier to replace trees that may die anyway after they are planted.

Basically, the trees will not be as large as the ones in the render until Caltrain rolls into the basement. But they will get there eventually.

As for the gondola (they scrapped the funicular/funiculari), its a tourist attraction, and will ensure that regular people are up on the park and not just workers on their lunch breaks. I think it is good overall..assuming it works 99% of the time.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
will ensure that regular people are up on the park
Except during Dreamforce (and any other private events) when the park will be closed to the public, as per the agreement Salesforce signed when they got the naming rights to the park/ terminal.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnie View Post
Only in San Francisco!

There's a bridge in Chicago i want to sel to whoever approved this...
You'll need a bunch of bridges since there was a lot of enthusiasm for it here and among SF elected officials.

I argued at the time that "downtown SF" was moving in the direction of the existing CalTrain terminal at 4th & Townsend and the (then) new T muni line made getting there from Market St easy enough that there was no need to spend billions on a new station. Of course even I didn't anticipate they would build the first phase with no idea how they were going to fund bringing the trains in.

Meanwhile, look at the bright side. We undoubtedly now have the world's fanciest bus stop. Even the sheiks of Dubai and the rest of the Gulf would marvel.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 6:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fimiak View Post
As for the gondola (they scrapped the funicular/funiculari), its a tourist attraction, and will ensure that regular people are up on the park and not just workers on their lunch breaks. I think it is good overall..assuming it works 99% of the time.
Until it breaks down like the BART escalators. But since Salesforce is now in charge of maintenance I guess, they might actually keep it running.

And, of course, when the "regular people" want to go up there they can always just go insde the terminal and take the escalators there up to it.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 10:11 PM

A nice article from the Chronicle and some sunny photos from flickr:

http://projects.sfchronicle.com/2017...nal/the-tower/

Salesforce Tower by Alexander Kozik, on Flickr

Salesforce Tower in Morning Sun, on iPhone X by YT Blue, on Flickr

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 3:35 AM

Rendering from Jim Campbell of what the crown would've looked like for Dreamforce if fully completed:

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 8:16 AM
Surrounded by Nature

The neighboring tower crane on 181 Fremont is finally coming down, long after the Salesforce twins.

[IMG]Crane Coming Down on a Cloudy Day by viewguysf, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 9:15 AM

Funicular? Or Suspended Cable Car?

There are several sources referring to the "suspended cable cars" as a funicular at the Salesforce site. The Wikipedia definition (and others) define it as:

A funicular (/fəˈnɪkjʊlər/), also known as an inclined plane or cliff railway, is a type of cable railway in which a cable attached to a pair of tram-like vehicles on rails moves them up and down a steep slope.

I've ridden on a funicular in Italy - it was a railway up a steep incline. The key word for a funicular is "railway" and there is no rail at the Salesforce. With that said, it appears that the word funicular may be redefined in San Francisco.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 8:14 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
There are several sources referring to the "suspended cable cars" as a funicular at the Salesforce site. The Wikipedia definition (and others) define it as:

A funicular (/fəˈnɪkjʊlər/), also known as an inclined plane or cliff railway, is a type of cable railway in which a cable attached to a pair of tram-like vehicles on rails moves them up and down a steep slope.

I've ridden on a funicular in Italy - it was a railway up a steep incline. The key word for a funicular is "railway" and there is no rail at the Salesforce. With that said, it appears that the word funicular may be redefined in San Francisco.
You are correct Jerry--it is not a funicular. An example of a much closer one is Angels Flight in downtown LA, which I have ridden. After an extended closure, it is up and running again as of last month.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angels_Flight

Old Posted Nov 11, 2017, 10:11 PM
Build Baby Build

As I said above this is not a funicular, it is a gondola. As Jerry alluded to, the difference is a gondola is suspended on wires, whereas a funicular is an actual inclined rail track.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 12:00 AM

Random question but.. if somebody were to get hurt on the gondola or in the park that is now privately owned by Salesforce, would Salesforce have to pay for legal costs? Or are the taxpayers liable for any losses that occur at the park or in the tower plaza? I would assume that the transit center itself is remaining in the public domain.
Does Salesforce have the authority to kick out miscreants/ homeless/ anyone they don't like from the park?

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 12:45 AM

^^It isn't "privaty owned by" Salesforce. Salesforce is just leasing the right to slap it's name on it and part of that deal is that Salesforce will take care of maintenance (I think) and security whlie its name is on it. But it is paying the actual owner, which I believe is the Transbay Joint Powers Authority, for these rights more or less like Citigroup will be paying the Warriors to have their name on its arena and ATT pays the Giants to have its name on their ballpark. If somebody gets hurt anywhere in the facility, it seems likely to me their lawyer will sue everybody they think their might collect from and that includes the TJPA, the City and County and Salesforce. Who they can collect from, if anybody, will be up to the court.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2017, 12:54 AM

Quote:

This, at Schloss Hohensalzbug in Austria, is a funicular. You can see the cable and the rails. For us San Franciscans, think cable car--very similar except a funicular usually just goes up and down the slope and I believe the car is permanently attached to the cable rather than having a "grip" that can grab the cable and release it.

http://gondolaproject.com/2012/12/06...ug-funiculars/

Old Posted Nov 15, 2017, 10:38 PM

Rust Color on West Side of Crown

I noticed today that the rust colored spot is now gone!

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 3:58 AM

Quote:
I noticed today that the rust colored spot is now gone!
Recent rain washed it off?

Old Posted Nov 16, 2017, 4:05 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crudowns View Post
Recent rain washed it off?
It’s been gone for at least several weeks—I’ve been looking at the tower often. Tonight I saw testing of the LED lighting at the top for the first time, only on the south/southwest sides from my vantage point, but not on the west/northwest side. It literally wowed me and is going to be awesome!

Old Posted Nov 17, 2017, 11:44 PM

Apologies for the huge images, but these two stills from the Park Tower webcam show the testing of just a sliver of the Salesforce crown. It's not much, but gives a small sense of what to expect once completed.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture