HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 1:13 AM

I love how this spire talk keeps popping up every few weeks. There will be no spire, get over it.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 1:39 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwards View Post
I love how this spire talk keeps popping up every few weeks. There will be no spire, get over it.
It's a good thing too! Salesforce would not look good with a spire.

The crown the way it is, should be just that. Any sort of pencil sticking spire would detract from the elegant slopes and curves of the tower as it tapers upwards. Finally, terminating in an elegant, gentle and smooth crown.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 5:05 AM

Cohesively is the difference between San Francisco and let’s say for example Los Angeles. Although it’s the tallest building in San Francisco it is designed to be complementary and a part of, rather than being overly designed to attempt to steal the spot light.

When you have a city of overly designed buildings then all you see is a cluster ****, nothing stands out. So I am very happy this design is the one chosen and not one of the other ridiculous designs.

It’s elegant, stream lined, modern but classic, a gentle wink to the Pyramid, and when it’s done, the screened top is going to be an expression of the mood of the city in the night’s sky and will be a stunning addition to a beautiful city.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
Not really:

...Okay, right, but still not typical.

I'm beginning to agree more, that the Salesforce Tower will be just fine without a spire especially after reading some of your posts.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluntcard View Post
Cohesively is the difference between San Francisco and let’s say for example Los Angeles. Although it’s the tallest building in San Francisco it is designed to be complementary and a part of, rather than being overly designed to attempt to steal the spot light.

When you have a city of overly designed buildings then all you see is a cluster ****, nothing stands out. So I am very happy this design is the one chosen and not one of the other ridiculous designs.

It’s elegant, stream lined, modern but classic, a gentle wink to the Pyramid, and when it’s done, the screened top is going to be an expression of the mood of the city in the night’s sky and will be a stunning addition to a beautiful city.
I think this is a good assessment. If anything, Salesforce Tower will make Oceanwide Center, 181 Fremont, and TransAmerica stand out even more. Its an excellent centerpiece for the skyline. I just wish the crown wasn't so unfortunately shaped... If they made it more angular or tapered or something it wouldn't look so much like a..uhh...certain human body part.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChargerCarl View Post
What stake do you have in this building? Did you personally invest in it?
Well. It's so tall my apartment looks at it now. I'd rather have people say 'wow what a view!' instead of 'BAHAHA WHAT IS THAT THING?'

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 7:44 AM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by don116 View Post
Well. It's so tall my apartment looks at it now. I'd rather have people say 'wow what a view!' instead of 'BAHAHA WHAT IS THAT THING?'
The LED art feature in the crown will hopefully be outstanding, enlightening your view with an interesting spectacle. If it's a phallus you or anyone else seeks, there is a plethora of real ones available in our fair City, without the need of resorting to or fantasizing about towers.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 9:24 AM
BANNED

Quote:
And this is why we have a housing shortage.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 4:47 PM

Salesforce February 21, 2017

I just returned from Burma & Bangkok & see a little change on the skyline as viewed from the Civic Center after an absence of 18 days. I have not figured out what building is breaking the skyline on the right in the photo.

I see the same arguments have been raging since I last looked at the site 3 weeks ago.

I had not been to Bangkok in 30 years. The city has some very interesting high rise architecture now.

Salesforce, 181 Fremont 2017_02_21

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry of San Fran View Post
I have not figured out what building is breaking the skyline on the right in the photo.
Salesforce, 181 Fremont 2017_02_21
33 Tehama?

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 7:11 PM

Quote:
And this is why we have a housing shortage.
I really don't give a shit if my view gets blocked. In fact I've supported many projects that will block my view. I just don't want it taken over by something that literally makes people point and laugh.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 7:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I really don't give a shit if my view gets blocked. In fact I've supported many projects that will block my view. I just don't want it taken over by something that literally makes people point and laugh.
The sentiment is the same: the belief that living near a building (or even far away from it in your case) gives you some sort of stake in it.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 7:21 PM

Quote:
The sentiment is the same: the belief that living near a building (or even far away from it in your case) gives you some sort of stake in it.
Perhaps it makes a difference whether you rent or own. If the view is worth 6 figures to you, you have a stake in it. How you attempt to use that stake is a different issue.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 7:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Perhaps it makes a difference whether you rent or own. If the view is worth 6 figures to you, you have a stake in it. How you attempt to use that stake is a different issue.
In a system of well defined property rights this shouldn't be the case, however we've crafted a perverted, hazy one where everyone has the right to dictate others' use of property but not their own. The effect has been disastrous and predictable.

Anyways, back to salesforce. Didn't mean to hijack.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 7:51 PM
Surrounded by Nature

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudolus View Post
33 Tehama?
Yes

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 9:33 PM

Quote:
The sentiment might be the same but the results are much different. I've literally countered NIMBYs by being the neighbor who wants development which is actually a major driver for getting the project approved.

Salesforce Tower in my opinion is what happens when a developer/architect is too pretentious and can't see that for 90% people, this tower looks boring and phallic. If I paid attention to SF development at the time I would have voted for teh SOM or Richard Rogers design.

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 11:25 PM

^literally the exact same complaints NIMBYs made against the Transamerica Pyramid. They nicknamed it "Pereira's Prick"

Old Posted Feb 21, 2017, 11:30 PM

Quote:
for 90% (of) people, this tower looks boring and phallic.
Count me in the 10% for whom it is niether.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwards View Post
The structure top center is the base of a 50 ft spire which will bring total height to 1120 ft (341+ m), thus establishing Salesforce Tower unambiguously as the tallest tower, mixed use or office, west of Chicago.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedestrian View Post
Count me in the 10% for whom it is niether.
This building has clearly aroused, so to speak, the phallus-obsessed. It's nuts.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture