HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs

Old Posted Jan 28, 2012, 7:14 PM

^Thanks for the photos you saved me some work today ...

What I find cool is instead of removing the rock ledges in front of the buildings along Larry Uteck there are incorporating them into the landscape. The one in front of the Birchview looks pretty good now that it's landscaped. Working with the environment makes the streetscape much nicer then flattening the entire area and installing cookie-cutter lawns like along Southgate.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2012, 3:03 PM

Heard thru the grapevine that a slab collapsed up on the building on Starboard drive next to the Sobeys. I heard they had just finished power troweling & everyone had just left the area when it went. My understanding is that no one was hurt. This should have the safety guys hopping for a while!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2012, 7:51 AM

Mixed space eyed near Southgate
February 7, 2012 - 7:05pm BY COLLEEN COSGROVE BUSINESS REPORTER

Quote:
Riding the momentum of success from its Southgate Village development, Boris Holdings Inc. will construct a second two-storey retail and office space nearby on Larry Uteck Boulevard.

“We had great success with the first building so we’re going to run with that and start another project as soon as the frost is out of the ground,” Boris Holdings president Dean Hartman told The Chronicle Herald.

The Southgate Village mixed retail and office project is situated at the corner of Southgate Drive and Larry Uteck Boulevard. The two-storey, 25,000-square-foot development is already home to Platform Space, Southgate Dentistry, Nova Physiotherapy, Kids Academy and Oxford Learning and is awaiting the arrival of two restaurants — Hamachi Mura Sushi & Thai and Son Vida.

As leasing negotiations continue, Hartman expects shovels to hit the ground April 1. The project is estimated to wrap up in the summer, with tenants moving in throughout September and October.

(ccosgrove@herald.ca)
Read More Here - TheChronicleHerald.ca; Feb 8th, 2012

^I suggest having a look at the rendering. It looks quite unique for this area.

Project website

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 6:04 AM

Welcome to ...

STARBOARD PLACE!! (530 Starboard Drive)

http://www.starboardplace.com/

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 2:54 PM

Where have I seen that design before...

Are these architectural plans available on the net for a free download or something?

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 3:01 PM
Urban Thinker

Ugh. As someone who visits the area frequently, I have to say that The Ravines is one awful mess of a neighbourhood. The designs are uninspired, most are cheap-looking, the whole place is about as auto-centric as it gets and there is absolutely no sense of community. I have friends who live there, and they don`t even know their neighbour`s names.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 3:20 PM

Kill it with fire.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 3:28 PM
Honored Member

It is not great but it is not terrible. It looks unimpressive when compared to the King's Wharf development but it looks like a decent, suburban building. It could be far worse - a rectangular building with no exterior features.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 3:52 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It is not great but it is not terrible. It looks unimpressive when compared to the King's Wharf development but it looks like a decent, suburban building. It could be far worse - a rectangular building with no exterior features.
I respect your optimistic point of view, but this 'it could be worse' mindset is exactly why Halifax is is such a rut. Sure it could be worse. But it could be a whole hell of a lot better too. Developers are putting up these shitty, egregious boxes everywhere and spending as little money as possible. There is no cohesive vision; they're just trying to make a quick buck.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 4:06 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by haligonia View Post
I respect your optimistic point of view, but this 'it could be worse' mindset is exactly why Halifax is is such a rut. Sure it could be worse. But it could be a whole hell of a lot better too. Developers are putting up these shitty, egregious boxes everywhere and spending as little money as possible. There is no cohesive vision; they're just trying to make a quick buck.
It is no different than the free market for homes. It would be great if everyone could afford a mansion but everybody can't. That is why there are low cost apartments/condos versus luxury apartments/condos, and low cost attached homes (rowhouses or townhouses) versus expensive mansions.

People get what they pay for. There is a market for low cost apartments/condos because that is all that many people can afford. My opinion isn't an "optimistic point of view" it is just a realistic point of view.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Actually it's more to to do with the difficulty in the past decade that developers have had trying to build high-rises near the core. At least Halifax is growing somewhere. This is why if more projects like Skye Halifax are stopped it just keeps sending the message that it's easier to just build in the burbs.

I actually like the ravines, since it seems to be free of all the anti-development, save the view, please keep Halifax in 1700's type people.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 5:02 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
It is no different than the free market for homes. It would be great if everyone could afford a mansion but everybody can't. That is why there are low cost apartments/condos versus luxury apartments/condos, and low cost attached homes (rowhouses or townhouses) versus expensive mansions.

People get what they pay for. There is a market for low cost apartments/condos because that is all that many people can afford. My opinion isn't an "optimistic point of view" it is just a realistic point of view.
I don't want luxury mansions and condo buildings everywhere - that's not the point. What I was trying to say was that in building these low-cost buildings, the developers think don't think about how the building interacts with the community around it. The neighbourhood isn't walkable. Public transit is a nightmare. People are separated from the businesses and services (and in some cases, other people) that they interact with and use every day. I don't care about the cost of the apartments. What I want is housing (high-wealth, middle-class, affordable housing, whatever) that is well planned and well integrated with the community around it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by q12 View Post
Actually it's more to to do with the difficulty in the past decade that developers have had trying to build high-rises near the core. At least Halifax is growing somewhere. This is why if more projects like Skye Halifax are stopped it just keeps sending the message that it's easier to just build in the burbs.
Just because developers are building in the suburbs doesn't mean that they have to build crap.

Quote:
I actually like the ravines, since it seems to be free of all the anti-development, save the view, please keep Halifax in 1700's type people.
In my experience, the residents of the neighbourhood could care less about what happens downtown. As long as they have a four-pad arena and a Tim Horton's nearby, they're happy.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Just because developers are building in the suburbs doesn't mean that they have to build crap.
I agree with you there, there is no reason other than them trying to save a buck.

Quote:
In my experience, the residents of the neighbourhood could care less about what happens downtown. As long as they have a four-pad arena and a Tim Horton's nearby, they're happy.
Well I know of residents in that area that would like to see some development in the downtown. And it's Starbucks, not Tim Horton's.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 5:14 PM
Urban Thinker

Quote:
I agree with you there, there is no reason another than them trying to save a buck.

Well I know of residents in that area that would like to see some development in the downtown. And it's Starbucks, not Tim Horton's.
True. I guess I can't speak definitively on behalf of the entire area.

Old Posted Feb 18, 2012, 7:04 PM
we built this city

All this suburban crap is just going to send the prices of houses on the peninsula through the roof... which I hope leads to better upkeep of older homes in and around downtown.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2012, 7:53 PM

Skyline shot from B.I.O. (Urban_Halifax @ flickr.com)

Old Posted Feb 20, 2012, 2:27 PM

Nice shot. What is that crane for? Is it new? I noticed it from the Bridge yesterday.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 5:06 PM

Quote:
People are separated from the businesses and services (and in some cases, other people) that they interact with and use every day. I don't care about the cost of the apartments. What I want is housing (high-wealth, middle-class, affordable housing, whatever) that is well planned and well integrated with the community around it.
It's a closer and nicer walk from the middle of the Ravines to Sobeys than it is from me (North peninsula) to Superstore...not to mention the closest gym is in Clayton park :'( I love the Peninsula. But my part of it isn't too walkable.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 7:40 PM
Urban Thinker

I see your point. But it's not just distance that matters. The Ravines' curvy streets, plentiful garages and hills (that one's nothing the developer could control) discourage walking. I know people who work at the Ravines Sobey's, live a three minute walk away, and still drive to work. It is rare to see people walking to suburban grocery stores.

And hey, at least the peninsula has transit.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2012, 8:01 PM
Fizzix geek

And hey, at least the peninsula HAD transit.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Suburbs