HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLFuego View Post
But won't they just reduce frequency with larger planes to maintain similar load factors? It's only a major net capacity increase if demand supports it.
I'm sure that will be the case on some routes. But they are saying they want to do both increase the number of departures at ORD by ~100 per day and also increase the average size (# of seats) of those departures by 30%.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 4:32 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

I'm pretty bullish on the idea that electric airplanes will be a big player in the future, at least for regional routes, especially if their much lower operational expenses play out.

Given they are very quiet and do not need much runway I was wondering if a near-downtown airport for regional flights would ever make sense again. Be it another kind of Meigs Field or London City Airport. The question of course is where would one put it? Out into the Lake? Along the South Branch industrial corridor somewhere?

Quote:
https://www.slashgear.com/united-air...-why-13682251/

United Airlines is ordering 100 of these all-electric planes: Here’s why
Chris Davies -
Jul 13, 2021, 10:20am

......The airline says it could be used on more than 100 of its current regional routes, out of most of its existing hubs. That could mean an electric United flight from Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD) to Purdue University Airport (LAF), or from San Francisco International Airport (SFO) to Modesto City-County Airport (MOD).......

Assuming that all works out, and the ES-19 meets all the necessary safety standards and regulations, United will purchase 100 of the planes. Mesa Airlines will also buy 100 for its own fleet. There’s the possibility, the companies say, for the ES-19 to be launched as soon as 2026......

The ES-19 uses an aluminum frame and four electric motors. Each of those motors is about 20 times less expensive than a similarly-sized turboprop, and about 100 times less than a turbofan, Heart Aerospace suggests.....

Zero-emissions aren’t the only advantage, however. Maintenance costs can be 90-percent lower for electric motors, Heart Aerospace argues, compared to traditional turboprops. Fuel costs drop 50-75 percent. There’s also the potential for electronic systems monitoring, which can proactively spot potential servicing issues, and trim inspection requirements.....
ES-19
Takeoff Distance
2,500 ft
Landing Distance
2,500 ft
Passenger Capacity
Range
250 mi

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 5:17 PM
Show me the blueprints

I'm not saying South Works, but.... South Works?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 5:46 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busy Bee View Post
I'm not saying South Works, but.... South Works?
Meh, I don't see that as huge convenience savings for regional passengers wanting to fly into downtown Chicago.

I would say over the Roosevelt Train yards but you have the St.Charles Bridge running right smack in the middle.

Maybe you could lake infill and make a 3K foot E/W runway on the north side of the Jardin Filtration Plant. That could have access issues and not be cheap to build.

You could perhaps do Lake infill and make a N/S runway where the seawall barrier already is at Monroe Harbor. It already has a helipad space and CFD there. Again, access and cost would be an issue. One could set up a short Air-Gondala over the river to Navy Pier for logistics and pick-up/drop-offs. Would be great for Navy Pier tourism, though it would make it mega-congested over there

Old Posted Jul 13, 2021, 6:54 PM
Show me the blueprints

I think the notion that an airport and runway of any size is going to be anywhere near downtown is laughable. That just is not going to happen for a multitude of reasons.

A location along the Stevenson is also not going to happen as it would be entirely too close to Midway flight patterns.

Really, I don't see anywhere within city limits, besides somehow coming up with extra capacity at MDW, other than some south side or far south side location, and even then the approach path for MDW would likely be a problem. It would have to be surgically inserted and who knows if the FAA would ever allow it. Seriously, who knows?

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:13 AM

I wasn't aware this was a thing, but I flew out of terminal 1 the other week and it looks like they are replacing all of the glass. It is a notable color shift… it looked really good, but that also could just be the replaced sections were dramatically cleaner.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 1:15 PM

That does look way better. They almost look like solar panels.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 2:17 PM

Oh good. Hopefully this fixes the leaks.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2021, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Meh, I don't see that as huge convenience savings for regional passengers wanting to fly into downtown Chicago.
Also the idea that United would forego connectivity to their hub seems kind of insane.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc5680 View Post
I wasn't aware this was a thing, but I flew out of terminal 1 the other week and it looks like they are replacing all of the glass. It is a notable color shift… it looked really good, but that also could just be the replaced sections were dramatically cleaner.

I was traveling out of the satellite concourse this week and the new glass made such a notable change. Definitely the facelift that T1 has so desperately needed.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2021, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoguy View Post
I was traveling out of the satellite concourse this week and the new glass made such a notable change. Definitely the facelift that T1 has so desperately needed.
As the pictures show it needs a cleaning more than a facelift. That terminal is covered with years of kerosene Jet A fuel exhaust. You can even smell the stuff when you come back from vacation after a week in the country. By the way, I love terminal 1. Best looking terminal at ORD by far. I hope they keep it the way it is for many years to come but also take better care of it in the future.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2021, 7:18 PM
You had me at herro...

They're doing rolling gate closures through 2021 and essentially doing a replacement of all the glass and roofing and rehabilitating the structure.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 7:23 PM

This picture was posted on the ORD Twitter Page. Looks like pretty good progress on the Terminal 5 expansion!

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 8:08 PM

Icelandair upgrading to 757-300's from 757-200's wich is a good sign of load factors from ORD. Latam also still operating 777-300 cargo charters to South America several times a week.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 2:16 PM
somewhere in-between

An architect for the city has been posting updates of the T5 expansion on LinkedIn. Her latest set was posted yesterday -

Source: LinkedIn | Saaema Alavi

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 9:25 PM

Looks like great progress! ^

I wonder if it will be complete by fall or winter this year!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2021, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Looks like great progress! ^

I wonder if it will be complete by fall or winter this year!

The city says mid to late 2022 now.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1 Tommy View Post
The city says mid to late 2022 now.
Oh, yikes!

Old Posted Jul 26, 2021, 4:21 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesrmj View Post
Oh, yikes!
It's not even fully enclosed yet - 2022 is not unreasonable, considering how complex this project is, and it's not that far away.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2021, 4:14 PM

Satellite terminals

So whats the latest estimate of when the satellite terminal will be started?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Transportation