HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Thanks Orlando. The imagebb links seem to be working for me now. Not sure what was happening there.

That image has be thinking that perhaps an underrated aspect of Astra, the Regent Street tower, and 255 S. State is how much they will collectively enhance the Gallivan Center as an urban plaza, both in terms of the quality of the space and pedestrian connectivity.
Agree completely. I know that Gallivan has had many revisions, but i can’t help but hope that someday they’ll make it the Olympic Legacy Plaza, complete with the Hoberman Arch and with the Cauldron being the centerpiece and information about the games and medalists. I fill like it would be a true place to visit in SLC…I may be the only one.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2021, 9:55 PM

Loopnet Site: https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1050...y-UT/24223886/

Marketing Brochure: https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/r8PCo...chureFlyer.pdf

Address: 1050 South 200 West

A new potential development site has been listed on loopnet for the property directly south of Bumper House (7 floors & 287 units) and Chrome Works (8 floors & 234 units).

This property is quite large, with 2.54 acres, compared with Bumper House's approx. 0.78 acres and Chrome Works' approx. 0.65 acres. So I expect a fairly large sized project on the site in the future.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2021, 6:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattreedah View Post
Agree completely. I know that Gallivan has had many revisions, but i can’t help but hope that someday they’ll make it the Olympic Legacy Plaza, complete with the Hoberman Arch and with the Cauldron being the centerpiece and information about the games and medalists. I fill like it would be a true place to visit in SLC…I may be the only one.
Rumor has it that the Hoberman Arch is going to be installed at the airport. It will be visible to drivers leaving the airport (and therefore entering Utah) as a sort of 'welcome to the state!' feature.

So until it gets put back at the Gallivan Plaza, at least it will be back in the public eye, rather than being disassembled in some warehouse.

If the rumors are true, that is.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2021, 3:29 PM

Agree with getting it out of storage and hope that rumor is true. Certainly better than having its symbolic importance so diminished by hiding it in some nondescript warehouse. Those Olympics contributed a great deal to Salt Lake City's current state of progress, change, and vibrancy.

Salt Lake City is far and away North America's most ideal Winter Olympics venue. Here's to the next upcoming go-around.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2021, 3:30 PM
of SLC

Were the pieces that were reported stolen from the arch every found? I never heard a follow up on that.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2021, 4:11 PM
SLC Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blah_Amazing View Post
Loopnet Site: https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1050...y-UT/24223886/

Marketing Brochure: https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/r8PCo...chureFlyer.pdf

Address: 1050 South 200 West

A new potential development site has been listed on loopnet for the property directly south of Bumper House (7 floors & 287 units) and Chrome Works (8 floors & 234 units).

This property is quite large, with 2.54 acres, compared with Bumper House's approx. 0.78 acres and Chrome Works' approx. 0.65 acres. So I expect a fairly large sized project on the site in the future.

These prices. They are SILLL - EEEEE.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2021, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Rumor has it that the Hoberman Arch is going to be installed at the airport. It will be visible to drivers leaving the airport (and therefore entering Utah) as a sort of 'welcome to the state!' feature.

So until it gets put back at the Gallivan Plaza, at least it will be back in the public eye, rather than being disassembled in some warehouse.

If the rumors are true, that is.
Every time I hear about the Hoberman Arch I am saddened by the lack of any forethought or desire to create an inspiring monument or gathering place for people to come and remember or hear the stories from one of the most pivotal moments in Utah history.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 5:11 PM

If anyone is in this area take an updated photo of the construction on this project.

Block 8 and an extended stay hotel + triplex

SMH Builders, a San Francisco firm, is building a 67-unit extended stay hotel at 825 S 200 W, which will include a triplex, per the requirements
of FB-UN2 zoning. Just to the north, Axis Architects and Etna Properties of Sandy are involved in a 20-unit apartment project at 817 S 200 W...

821 + 825 S. 200 W. red and salmon residences – are the proposed site of a 70-room extended stay hotel by SMH Builders of San Francisco, CA. To meet the residential requirement in FB-UN 2,
the developer must build at least 3 units (3 live/work units have been proposed). Edit:The project site has been cleared and is currently under construction

Photo By Luke Garrott

Old Posted Oct 17, 2021, 8:57 PM
Ironweed

Thanks for the image Orlando.

Here is a question for the builders/structural engineers on this forum:

Could a tower be built on top of the current Wells Fargo Tower parking lot?

That garage is taking a bunch of buildable space.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 12:41 AM

Perhaps this is an unpopular opinion based on recent tower discussions, being on skyscraper page and all, but I think we place far too much emphasis on skyscrapers as to what makes a city great.

Why do we base our opinions and perceptions of what makes a good city by its skyline? When you break it down the look of the skyline has little impact on the functionality, walkability, density, and livability of an urban space. Not to mention large towers are grossly out of human scale. They may look nice from the freeway but for the people within the space experiencing that scale it is dramatically out of proportions for what people find comfortable.

Furthermore, one large tower could easily be broken up into 4 smaller developments that fill in vastly more street frontage, speed up the rate of infill development, and stil is ~10 stories tall. Yes, Salt Lake City has wide streets that takes taller buildings to make it feel proportional, but even that proportional slc height, and the human scale in general, is really no more than 10 stories. Look at model European cities, the vast majority of their urban areas are within the 3-8 story range, and convey a dramatically dense scale while being relatively “short.”

All I’m saying is Salt Lake, and American cities in general, could fill in much quicker and sustainably with the DC, Vancouver, Seattle’s south lake Union, and general European model of building height. Taller buildings don’t make a successful urban space, in many ways they take development momentum and potential square footage and concentrate it in less parcels and less space for an overall less urban impact in areas with vast areas of underutilized space.

Height has a time and a place, but at salt lake’s current stage in its development, it is not quite there yet.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
Perhaps this is an unpopular opinion based on recent tower discussions, being on skyscraper page and all, but I think we place far too much emphasis on skyscrapers as to what makes a city great.

Why do we base our opinions and perceptions of what makes a good city by its skyline? When you break it down the look of the skyline has little impact on the functionality, walkability, density, and livability of an urban space. Not to mention large towers are grossly out of human scale. They may look nice from the freeway but for the people within the space experiencing that scale it is dramatically out of proportions for what people find comfortable.

Furthermore, one large tower could easily be broken up into 4 smaller developments that fill in vastly more street frontage, speed up the rate of infill development, and stil is ~10 stories tall. Yes, Salt Lake City has wide streets that takes taller buildings to make it feel proportional, but even that proportional slc height, and the human scale in general, is really no more than 10 stories. Look at model European cities, the vast majority of their urban areas are within the 3-8 story range, and convey a dramatically dense scale while being relatively “short.”

All I’m saying is Salt Lake, and American cities in general, could fill in much quicker and sustainably with the DC, Vancouver, Seattle’s south lake Union, and general European model of building height. Taller buildings don’t make a successful urban space, in many ways they take development momentum and potential square footage and concentrate it in less parcels and less space for an overall less urban impact in areas with vast areas of underutilized space.

Height has a time and a place, but at salt lake’s current stage in its development, it is not quite there yet.
A couple thoughts.

First, I'd say that I agree with your thoughts that the skyline isn't really the most important thing, having also stated as much in the past. That is why I think it is silly that the city has plans in place regarding the overall shape of the skyline as if that is what should guide policy. I have always found that to be a bit ridiculous. Skylines are typically for visitors, photos, or passers by, rather than people that actually live there. I think most of us on this forum just get excited when the skyline changes. For me, it is because it is a very visual mark of progress and change that is also felt on the ground, since what a city feels like on the ground is (imo), the most important thing. That is why I think the city needs to focus on improving street engagement both in new projects as well as with currently existing and historical structures as well.

Second, by my count, Salt Lake has about 50 projects currently under construction (including approx. 7.2k units) as well as roughly 110 planned projects (including approx. 12.9k units) with the vast majority of these being townhouses to midrise projects. So we are actually building mostly the type of infill projects you want. I'd even go as far as to say these projects actually take up the vast majority of the posts on this forum.

It should also be mentioned that the amount of projects are actually quite staggering for Salt Lake, with approx. 20k in total housing units either planned or currently under construction. Where I think Salt Lake really can improve in the future is in the design and more Mixed-use projects with retail, restaurants, or other forms of street engagement. It is definitely getting better overall, but there is still room for improvement.

Third, Salt Lake is also dominated by single family zoning. This is why I respectfully disagree with the premise that downtown should build to human scale you describe, because the vast majority of the city will not adopt those standards. Paris, France is miles and miles of dense apartment blocks and even they have abandoned that for the most part and built plenty of skyscrapers. Salt Lake has only a fraction of the city where multifamily is 'allowed' by both the city's zoning codes and politically active residents. Unless this changes, upwards in the few zones we have is really the only way we can go.

Finally, I actually think the street design is more important to human comfort than the overall height of the buildings. I personally like the feel of a large tower above me, but it is more important that the tower isn't combined with narrow and car-oriented streets that provide little for the pedestrian. This is where most cities, from major ones like New York to even nearby places like Denver pale in comparison to Salt Lake - especially Main Street. The streets here are wide and provide ample distance between the two sides of buildings that a pedestrian is unlikely to feel oppressed by the towers around them (as someone walking around downtown Denver might feel with its narrow streets). While SLC's streets outside of Main Street are very auto-oriented, they still provide that overarching distance between the buildings that allows a better flow of air, people, and vehicles to move around without feeling claustrophobic. These roads, such as State Street and West Temple, also offer the possibility of future pedestrian oriented spaces that would make them more comparable with Main Street, if only UDOT would stop being such a drag.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.
Thanks again for bringing these ideas up Wasatch Wasteland.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Oct 18, 2021 at 11:49 AM.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post

I agree. We need a lot of infill to create a true urban vibe at street level. Though, I want to see density, urban canyons, and some height. It's a visceral feel.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 2:50 PM

I’m new to posting to the forum but have been reading it for several years now. Blah, thanks for all the posts on new development you contribute. They are much appreciated. With that said I agree with most of your points. SLC needs more infill first before we truly build up. Otherwise we’d end up looking like OKC. The lack of infill on a larger scale as you pointed out is due to housing zones, and in my opinion due to the way many cities were designed in the US, with sprawling suburbia focused on car transport. To your last point I feel differently. I feel SLC wide streets contribute to the lack of urban feel. With the wide streets and ridiculous car dealerships downtown in SLC I often feel like I’m not in an urban environment. Not sure how the Denver comparison works either. Denver has the 16th street mall, which is an urban canyon with some height in the foreground, has street performers and many bars/restaurants, and much more pedestrian activity than Main Street. And it’s closed to cars all the time other than a street bus, providing that pedestrian experience you’re describing. To cap it off, the 16th street mall in Denver ends at the Union station, an actual transportation hub, at least by Intermountain West standards. I know you’re not comparing the density, rather you’re pointing out that narrow streets in NYC and Denver make it feel claustrophobic compared to SLC. Too me, the narrow roads, urban canyons and bustling street scenes are what make a city feel like a city. Wide roads with tons of cars remind me of the suburbs.

To another point, I disagree that the skyline only matters to visitors. As a kid growing up in Denver I would always feel a sense of pride when I saw our skyline. I know Denver’s skyline is not anything compared to some skylines, but I felt a sense of pride when viewing it through my kids eyes and still with my adult eyes to this day. Some may think it’s outdated and ugly, but the Cash Register building is iconic to Denver. What towers are iconic to SLC? The temple (not a tower)? The other day when I saw the new Hyatt hotel I thought to myself this is a cool looking building with the glass, curves and narrow shape N-S. This could be an iconic building to SLC. I do agree infill is a priority over building one or two large towers, but eventually it would be nice for SLC to get an actual skyscraper and not end up looking like Phoenix. Otherwise we’ll just always be the city with less tall buildings than St. Paul Minnesota. I bet the people of Austin are more proud of their burgeoning skyline by the day. If the infill doesn’t follow though I do agree the height can be a bad thing. It’s a fine balance. A burgeoning skyline is about more than just how it makes visitors feel. It’s about a sense of pride in the community and a sense of place in my opinion.

Anyways, like I said, been following for years now. I moved to SLC 7 years ago and have been impressed by the development so far. Hoping there is much more infill in the future, and maybe even a few iconic towers eventually if we’re lucky. Big thanks again to Blah, Hatman, Delts and others who contribute to the forum.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 6:43 PM

SLC — for the past 30 years — has focused primarily on infill and not height. I think most of us don’t realize just how bad it used to be downtown and how far we’ve come. Of course, there is still a long way to go.

What’s different about many of the newly proposed towers is that they are primarily residential, with either retail or hotel on the ground level. This is different than some of the office towers of the past as they serve to both get more people downtown 24/7 and activate the street. I’ve been one of the people on here less likely to clamoring for a mega-tower, but I love all the new potential towers and believe they will be great for the city.

What I think we truly need is to declare war on surface street parking. Some of that is fixing zoning and the planning commission to a policy that encourages development and discourages land-banking. The other thing is finally getting a Granary streetcar, which we’ve learned from the Sugarhouse experience works less as a people mover and more as a development incubator.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 10:36 PM
They all float down here

lol

Salt Lake is destroying street after street of its historic housing stock for ugly infill.

Infill is what's killing Salt Lake City.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2021, 11:21 PM

Old houses near urban dense areas are not worth saving unless it is extremely extremely precious, Comrade.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post

Sometimes you gotta zig when everyone else is zagging.

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 1:56 AM

Other than the Utah Theatre debate, greek town apartments, tavernacle building and first avenue properties what historical buildings have been replaced by infill the last 10-20 years? I’m not sure and interested. I bet if a spatial analysis were done more of the recent downtown infill would be parking lots/empty lots and buildings beyond the point of repair. At least they are not tearing down historical buildings worth saving like the Monaco Hotel or Joseph Smith Memorial building

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 4:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
lol

Salt Lake is destroying street after street of its historic housing stock for ugly infill.

What is your solution for the housing crisis that we currently have?

Old Posted Oct 19, 2021, 6:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGeographer View Post
I’m new to posting to the forum but have been reading it for several years now. Blah, thanks for all the posts on new development you contribute. They are much appreciated. With that said I agree with most of your points. SLC needs more infill first before we truly build up. Otherwise we’d end up looking like OKC. The lack of infill on a larger scale as you pointed out is due to housing zones, and in my opinion due to the way many cities were designed in the US, with sprawling suburbia focused on car transport. To your last point I feel differently. I feel SLC wide streets contribute to the lack of urban feel. With the wide streets and ridiculous car dealerships downtown in SLC I often feel like I’m not in an urban environment. Not sure how the Denver comparison works either. Denver has the 16th street mall, which is an urban canyon with some height in the foreground, has street performers and many bars/restaurants, and much more pedestrian activity than Main Street. And it’s closed to cars all the time other than a street bus, providing that pedestrian experience you’re describing. To cap it off, the 16th street mall in Denver ends at the Union station, an actual transportation hub, at least by Intermountain West standards. I know you’re not comparing the density, rather you’re pointing out that narrow streets in NYC and Denver make it feel claustrophobic compared to SLC. Too me, the narrow roads, urban canyons and bustling street scenes are what make a city feel like a city. Wide roads with tons of cars remind me of the suburbs.

To another point, I disagree that the skyline only matters to visitors. As a kid growing up in Denver I would always feel a sense of pride when I saw our skyline. I know Denver’s skyline is not anything compared to some skylines, but I felt a sense of pride when viewing it through my kids eyes and still with my adult eyes to this day. Some may think it’s outdated and ugly, but the Cash Register building is iconic to Denver. What towers are iconic to SLC? The temple (not a tower)? The other day when I saw the new Hyatt hotel I thought to myself this is a cool looking building with the glass, curves and narrow shape N-S. This could be an iconic building to SLC. I do agree infill is a priority over building one or two large towers, but eventually it would be nice for SLC to get an actual skyscraper and not end up looking like Phoenix. Otherwise we’ll just always be the city with less tall buildings than St. Paul Minnesota. I bet the people of Austin are more proud of their burgeoning skyline by the day. If the infill doesn’t follow though I do agree the height can be a bad thing. It’s a fine balance. A burgeoning skyline is about more than just how it makes visitors feel. It’s about a sense of pride in the community and a sense of place in my opinion.

Anyways, like I said, been following for years now. I moved to SLC 7 years ago and have been impressed by the development so far. Hoping there is much more infill in the future, and maybe even a few iconic towers eventually if we’re lucky. Big thanks again to Blah, Hatman, Delts and others who contribute to the forum.
Thanks TheGeographer.

A response to your thoughts.

First, I don't want to sound like I don't think skylines matter - they do. Your right that they can often be a source of pride. I was saying that they are definitely not the most important thing and should not be the guiding factor in policy. I love to look at our nice (albeit smaller) skyline with pride. But I also feel pride in our expanding skyline because it is a mark of the improving quality in our urban environment. Not simply because of a skyline in of itself.

Second, the Denver comparison. While Salt Lake City was founded before Denver, Denver is the one that looks and feels like an old east coast city. It has narrow roads and a flat geography that echo New York. It also saw a vast quantity of its towers built in the 1980s, which resulted in a relatively stark, gray, and angular towers that (imo) are not the most interesting to look at as a pedestrian.

You are right to suggest that the wider streets does have a tendency to dampen the urban canyon effect that Denver has - made worse by the fact that our towers are (at least for now) shorter. But, I would also say that that is exactly why it feels better in Salt Lake's Central Business District overall in comparison to Denver.

Keeping in mind that Salt Lake's downtown is very small in comparison to Denver's, I grabbed a few screenshots from Google Earth to show What I mean.

Denver: I literally just zoomed in to some random intersections along major roads in Denver, so they may or may not be the best representations of the city. That said, a pattern developed between them. You can indeed see (and somewhat feel) the urban canyon effect that Denver's smaller blocks, narrow streets, and taller towers create that does indeed make it feel like the larger city that it is.

But it is also very gray, dark, lacking of greenery, not pedestrian friendly, auto-oriented and many would say that it feels somewhat claustrophobic. It does indeed look and feel like a major east coast city.

Salt Lake: In comparison, Salt Lake has smaller towers, large blocks, and wide roads. This gives off the 'small city' vibes that Salt Lake has somewhat been known for. While the city gained many towers in the 1980s, those towers don't dominate the sky like they do in Denver. We are...late-bloomers, and I think that is a good thing. What Salt Lake really has is possibility. As more and more tower projects are proposed and built, I think Salt Lake will start to make up for being late to the tower party.

This idea of possibility is why I love our wide streets. Yes, right now most of our streets are used by UDOT to move enormous amounts of cars. But even those (as you can see in the photos below) don't have the same level of gray, oppressed, starkness that cities like Denver have. They feel more open and allow light to better enter the street, even under our tallest buildings it feels more open and free (somewhat reflective of traditional Western US ideals). Streets like State Street and West Temple, in the hands of the right people, could become similar to linear plazas and parks for pedestrians and the public to enjoy.

Again, Downtown Salt Lake City is really just at the start of its development journey, while Denver is much more matured. Streets like West Temple look barren in comparison to Denver's large urban canyons. But I know that will only improve from here.

I personally think our wider streets are going to make our future better and more full of possibilities as our towers and urban landscape develops in comparison to the limitations of the narrow streets in Denver. Especially if we can get UDOT to think more about pedestrians and other alternative modes of transit. That was my overarching point in the comparison.

It is all subjective I guess, so this is just how I feel about it. I really like Denver, but I love and am much more hopeful for Salt Lake in the future.

Last edited by Blah_Amazing; Oct 19, 2021 at 6:17 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West