HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Yesterday, 3:22 PM
Ham-burgher

One more point about an elevated walkway system: the buildings that are attached need to include interior corridors for the flow-through. So office and residential buildings must be designed to account for that, and it may not be easy to retrofit many of them if we ever wanted to build such a network in Hamilton.

I don't know why we'd want to. I agree with Innsertnamehere -- functionally they're the same as an underground, but they also take people off the street. We don't have the climate and weather issues to warrant them.

If Hamilton wanted to protect pedestrians, a series of connected awnings above the busiest sidewalks would be the cheapest and easiest thing to implement, while keeping the shops and services and restaurants closely accessible to those people.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innsertnamehere View Post
What? functionally that's the same as underground connections.
Yes, functionality-wise - I'm thinking cost though. I'm thinking digging pathways underground everywhere would be more expensive though - but maybe I'm wrong.

Old Posted Yesterday, 7:23 PM

This video does a good job of explaining why the 20th century obsession with raised paths is a bad idea:

https://youtu.be/TvCUgWnptUc

My goal is to improve my community, the transit we use to get around it, and the health and happiness of everyone in it, and I realize these are all interconnected.

Old Posted Yesterday, 9:35 PM
Ham-burgher

Those things are desolate. No amenities? Who is skulking about waiting to jump? Who would help if that happened, or if a person fell and got injured? No wonder nobody wants to use them.

I'm surprised they haven't at least put some planters in the older sections, green things up a bit. There's one short part of the video starting at 5:12 where 8 appear to be filled with sad looking plants. But the new sections, while having greenery and funky design, still don't seem to connect to anything that pedestrians would want to get to so I can't seem them being much more than urban art.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Hamilton > Transportation & Infrastructure