HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 9:37 PM

Parkways Closed at Night

Three of the Gatineau Park parkways are going to be closed 30 minutes before sunset until 8am this season. I understand the reasoning but the times make no sense. The Champlain Lookout is a classic Sunset location in the region and a tradition for thousands of people. Twilight lasts an hour after sunset, they should close them during this time. As for the mornings, A lot of early risers start their hikes earlier than 8am.

Gatineau Park roads to close at night
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...life-1.5100222

Old Posted Apr 16, 2019, 11:09 PM

I agree, to me 30 minutes after sunset and 30 minutes after sunrise would make more sense.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 1:56 PM
Mooderator

It says 30 mins after sunset in the article.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 6:13 PM

yeah, half an hour should cover until around dusk every day.
not sure how they'll enforce exits - I highly doubt a ranger is going to be making rounds. They'll probably close off the entrances and leave some exits accessible.

Gatineau park at night has been a popular site for young people with fast cars (myself included!) for decades. IIRC the crashed car was a 20yo in a Miata (either that or the BRZ are the preferred cheap sports cars for young people these days). Go around the parking lots and you'll see tire donuts in most of them. They've tried their best policing it, but the crash prompted them to think about liability, especially on unlit roads. Really no choice but to do this.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 6:17 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

It's also a popular place for teenage romance.

I didn't grow up anywhere near the park or even on the Quebec side, and we still used to go there.

Though nocturnal visits to the park were usually after going out somewhere in central Ottawa or Hull.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
yeah, half an hour should cover until around dusk every day.
not sure how they'll enforce exits - I highly doubt a ranger is going to be making rounds. They'll probably close off the entrances and leave some exits accessible.

Gatineau park at night has been a popular site for young people with fast cars (myself included!) for decades. IIRC the crashed car was a 20yo in a Miata (either that or the BRZ are the preferred cheap sports cars for young people these days). Go around the parking lots and you'll see tire donuts in most of them. They've tried their best policing it, but the crash prompted them to think about liability, especially on unlit roads. Really no choice but to do this.
You cannot protect everybody from everything. People need to manage their own risks of a commonly accepted activity, especially in a nature setting. We have lights on cars, painted lines on roads, signage and speed bumps to warn motorists for a reason. Why should a few drivers who were driving carelessly and met an unfortunate fate set the standard for everybody? You cannot protect people from themselves. What you need to try and do is protect people from injuring other people and and damaging their property. Does this mean that people will not be able to walk on trails to access cabins after dark too? We are turning into a nation of people who do not want to accept responsibility for their own actions and sue to recover outrageous amounts through the courts.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
It says 30 mins after sunset in the article.
Either they updated the article or I have a sort of phrase dyslexia haha.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 12:35 AM
Mooderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley613 View Post
Either they updated the article or I have a sort of phrase dyslexia haha.
They probably ninja-edited it, just to screw with ya.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation