HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 4:29 PM
The Vomit Bag.

200km radius around Tokyo:

The estimated population in the defined area is 49,684,490
"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."-President Lyndon B. Johnson Donald Trump is a poor man's idea of a rich man, a weak man's idea of a strong man, and a stupid man's idea of a smart man. Am I an Asseau?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 4:33 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
200km radius around Tokyo:

The estimated population in the defined area is 49,684,490
Amazing. I wonder if any other urban area compares? The Pearl River Delta perhaps?

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 4:39 PM

I guess 100 km around Tokyo is enough for their true metropolitan definition. That's 41 million people and includes the whole Kanto plains.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinlee View Post
Amazing. I wonder if any other urban area compares? The Pearl River Delta perhaps?
Using this radius, I guess Dhaka or Calcutta would have like 60-70 million, I don't know, but most of them would be rural. For Tokyo (or Guangzhou or Shanghai), most of the inhabitants would be definitely urban.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 5:04 PM
¥ ¥ ¥

According to the mapping tool...

200km around Dhaka has 128 million people
200km around Kolkata has 97 million
200km around Delhi has 96 million
200km centred on Suzhou (Yangtze River Delta) has 79 million
200km centred on Guangzhou (Pearl River Delta) has 68 million
200km around Beijing has 59 million
200km around Cairo has 58 million
200km around Jakarta has 55 million

Old Posted Oct 26, 2020, 6:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Crazy numbers. Too bad Calcutta decayed otherwise it would be an extremely strong magnet for all those people living around it. I guess New Delhi is the one to watch as it's powerful enough to urbanize many of those people around it.

Chinese regions will peak soon. There are still many rural people on the Yangtze River Delta, maybe they can move to the urban centres, but I don't see the overall population changing.

And those 200 km around Cairo is pretty much Egypt. Fortunately, the number of births fell a bit there, otherwise it would be a socioeconomic and environmental nightmare. As the population is young, we'll probably see this circle peaking at 100 million though.

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:30 PM
All man. Half nuts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
I'm surprised I've never heard of Dickshooter, ID before:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickshooter,_Idaho

No streetview, sadly.

I'll just leave this here....

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:40 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boisebro View Post
I'll just leave this here....

So where exactly is threeway Arizona?

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 8:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by IluvATX View Post
So where exactly is threeway Arizona?
I found threeway gulch north of Tucson. it's not a town, it's next to a dry riverbed called threeway wash. I did find a Three Way hundreds of miles away. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Th...99!4d-109.2267
I was looking for wankers corner, OR. I don't think that's a town either, but an intersection named after a country store in Stafford. Dry Prong is a town with a post office. https://goo.gl/maps/3jgGGN1vxxm3yfiw6

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 9:26 PM

Felchville!

Old Posted Oct 28, 2020, 9:57 PM
Future God

Honorable mention to Dildo, Newfoundland

-Bob Marley

Old Posted Oct 29, 2020, 2:28 PM
Chillin' in The Burgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin View Post

Insane numbers. I can't imagine what it must be like to live in a poor area that is that densely packed (the top 3, at least)

Old Posted Nov 1, 2020, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
So, besides just checking out the populations within a 62 mile radius of Texas' cities and displaying them, it was interesting seeing the population density differences between East Texas and West Texas. It's funny because, despite the fact that West Texas has more large cities, the territory between them is more sparsely populated. So while East Texas has fewer big cities than West Texas, it actually has higher populations spread over it with more smaller cities spread around it.

Add Radius manually : Radius 100 km OR 62.14 miles Location :

Central Texas

San Antonio - 2,057,675

Austin - 1,962,704

Killeen - 1,840,140 - this includes portions of Austin and Waco's metros as well as the City of Temple and the US army base Fort Hood.

Waco - 922,406

San Angelo - 156,899

Brady - 125,905 - Brady is the city closest to Texas' geographic center, located about 15 miles southwest of the middle of Texas.

East Texas

Houston - 5,182,030

Galveston - 3,942,205

College Station - 1,140,636 - this includes the nearby twin city of Bryan, Texas, but this also includes extreme parts of Austin and Houston's metro areas as well as part of Waco's metro. College Station is geographically located roughly in the middle of the "Texas triangle" region - the area between Dallas, Austin, San Antonio, and Houston.

Orange - 774,352 - this includes the Beaumont metro in Texas, and also the Lake Charles metro in Louisiana. Orange is the farthest east city in Texas, located along I-10, about 120 miles east of Houston.

Nacogdoches - 627,040

Beaumont - 983,370 - this includes parts of Houston's metro and all of Lake Charles, Louisiana

North Texas

Dallas - 5,792,591

Fort Worth - 5,606,171

Wichita Falls - 423,375

Northeast Texas

Longview - 1,103,018 - this includes all of Tyler, Texas, and also most of Shreveport, Louisiana's metro.

Tyler - 933,694

Texarkana, Texas - 483,443 - this includes Texarkana, Arkansas, of course, but also part of Shreveport, Louisiana's metro.

Panhandle

Lubbock - 415,011

Amarillo - 361,090

South Texas

Brownsville - 1,943,990 - includes Harlingen, which is part of its metro, along with the cities of McAllen and Edinburg, South Padre Island, and Reynas and Matamoras, Mexico.

Laredo - 630,033 - includes Nuevo Laredo, Mexico.

Corpus Christi - 563,056

Southeast Texas

Victoria - 334,673

Southwest Texas

Del Rio - 322,177

West Texas

El Paso - 2,428,998 - includes Ciudad Juarez, Mexico and Las Cruces, New Mexico metros.

Midland - 366,722 - includes the twin city of Odessa.

Odessa - 344,799 - includes Midland

Big Spring - 343,660 - includes the Midland/Odessa metro and part of San Angelo's metro.

Abilene - 264,424

Least populated within 100km

Van Horn - 19,933 - located in Culberson County in West Texas between Sierra Blanca, Texas, and Pecos, Texas about halfway between Guadalupe Mountains National Park and Davis Mountains State Park. The two nearest cities are El Paso, 120 miles to the west, and Odessa, 163 miles to the northeast.

Most populated within 100km

Dallas - 5,792,591

How accurate is this radius tool? The entirety of Bexar county( San Antonio) sits within a 20 mile radius and has a population of 2,040, 460.

https://ezlocal.com/tools/map-radius/

The same for Travis county (Austin)tallying 1,290,690 within a 20 mile radius.

A 60 Mile radius of San Marcos, Texas would include the majority of the Austin and San Antonio metro areas which roughly has 5 million people.

Centering a 60 radius around San Antonio/ New Braunfels metro would overlap with the Austin/ San Marcos metro area.

I would center the radius tool at the center of the region to get a more accurate figure of the population distribution or at least where it is the most dense and not overlapping with an adjacent metro area.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuriandrade View Post
I guess it's a mix of two things. If we take London or São Paulo, both with very populated areas surrounding them, it's only natural that when population grows (Southeast England adding 2.5 million people/decade, SP Macrometropolitan adding 3 million/decade) that commute patterns become more intense and new land is urbanized, making the urban footprint bigger.

Citypopulation.de, for instance, brings Reading as part of London sprawl: http://citypopulation.de/en/uk/agglo/. I guess Luton, Aylesbury, Chelmsford and Sevenoaks will be eventually swallowed as population is growing all over the area and I'm aware they are upgrading their transit, making commute easier and faster.

We cannot expect that metropolitan boundaries keep frozen in time (São Paulo metro area was legally defined in 1970, when population was 1/3 of today's) otherwise they will be as useful as looking at city proper as a measurement of how big a city is.
Despite the significant growth in population across the South East and East of England, the urban footprint of London and surrounding settlements has barely budged since the conclusion of WW2 and the introduction of the Green Belt. The only major exceptions have been the creation of the New Towns, the odd peripheral development or areas beyond the Green Belt (e.g. Milton Keynes).

Places like Sevenoaks (see below image) and Aylesbury are separated from London by the Kent Downs Area of Natural Beauty (AONB) and Chilterns AONB respectively. London and Chelmsford are detached by Green Belt and agricultural land. Luton is bordered by the Chilterns AONB and Green Belt. Even when it is acknowledged that not enough homes (and which are affordable) are being built it is politically radioactive to even consider joining up all the urban areas around London.

Consumer Data Research Centre, Dwellings: Modal Age

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 3:01 PM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
How accurate is this radius tool? The entirety of Bexar county( San Antonio) sits within a 20 mile radius and has a population of 2,040, 460.

https://ezlocal.com/tools/map-radius/

The same for Travis county (Austin)tallying 1,290,690 within a 20 mile radius.

A 60 Mile radius of San Marcos, Texas would include the majority of the Austin and San Antonio metro areas which roughly has 5 million people.

Centering a 60 radius around San Antonio/ New Braunfels metro would overlap with the Austin/ San Marcos metro area.

I would center the radius tool at the center of the region to get a more accurate figure of the population distribution or at least where it is the most dense and not overlapping with an adjacent metro area.
60 miles radius around San Marcos netted 3,135,208.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2020, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul in S.A TX View Post
How accurate is this radius tool?
It doesn't appear to be too accurate, at least in sparsely populated areas. I know for a fact that there are less than 100 permanent residents within this circle. The tool returns a number of 7432.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2020, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
60 miles radius around San Marcos netted 3,135,208.
Bexar and Travis county combined have a net population of about 3.4 million. Within a 60 mile radius of San Marcos would include a long list of neighboring counties and well over 4 million. Fredericksburg, Texas is within the radius and not apart of either the San Antonio or Austin metro.
2020 S. A. Pop 1.59 million/ Metro 2.64 million/ASA corridor 5 million Census undercount city proper. San Antonio economy and largest economic sectors. Annual contribution towards GDP. U.S. DOD$48.5billion/Manufacturing $40.5 billion/Healthcare-Biosciences $40 billion/Finance-Insurance $20 billion/Tourism $15 billion/ Technology $10 billion. S.A./ Austin: Tech $25 billion/Manufacturing $11 billion/ Tourism $9 billion.

Last edited by Paul in S.A TX; Nov 8, 2020 at 6:11 AM.

Old Posted Nov 11, 2020, 9:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galleyfox View Post
New York State boundaries are drawn especially poor, but the state borders around Baltimore and Philadelphia are not *that* skewed when Baltimore is fairly centrally located in Maryland, or that Southern New Jersey should overwhelm Pittsburgh and rural Pennsylvania.
Except that it doesn't overwhelm Pittsburgh and rural PA, because the total is still 1.5 million less than the state population.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions