HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
The Penguins plan to start with a hotel/entertainment complex and adjacent open space:

http://www.post-gazette.com/business...s/201711090076

Not necessarily a surprise since this is most beneficial to their business running an arena.
I wonder if this means that Core is officially scrapping any plans to build a movie theater and/or bowling alley in the former Kaufmann's/Macy's building.

Not sure where they originally intended for these amenities to be in comparison to the two-story hotel and the recently announced high-tech apartments.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 2:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyFROMtheBURGH View Post
Not sure if I am interpreting this wrong, but will there be a 900-foot tall cooling tower involved with the project?
I think the "cooling tower" is probably more like what we would think of as a chimney than a power plant style cooling tower. From what I can tell, the tallest "cooling tower" in the world is in India and is "only" about 600'.

On the other hand, the Homer City Generating Station has a chimney that is 1217'.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 3:25 PM

Quote:
For that spot, that Audi dealership is a pretty cool project.

Yeah, seeing the structure going up, it's much closer to the street than I expected, and it gives that stretch of Liberty less of a desolate quasi-highway feel.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 4:20 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel City Scotty View Post
I wonder if this means that Core is officially scrapping any plans to build a movie theater and/or bowling alley in the former Kaufmann's/Macy's building.

Not sure where they originally intended for these amenities to be in comparison to the two-story hotel and the recently announced high-tech apartments.
They've been actively working on the Macy's building for a few months now, still aren't any renderings outside or any signs as to what's going in there yet.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 9:11 PM

The Audi dealership going up looks to be modeled exactly like the one that recently went up in Soma in San Francisco. If so, it'll be great looking for a dealership... You can't really tell from the renderings, but the texture on these things is really nice in person, and catches light in a beautiful way.

There are some photos via google image search if you want to see a completed version:
https://www.google.com/search?q=audi...w=1419&bih=683

Last edited by AaronPGH; Nov 9, 2017 at 10:25 PM.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone7281 View Post
The problem with going further up the ladder than Level 2 is that until you can achieve Level 5, accidents will almost certainly go UP because humans would need to intervene when the computers can't figure out what to do. And human drivers become exponentially LESS likely to be able to effectively take over when they are allowed to zone out for extended periods of time, as further autonomy hypothetically allows them to do.
I didn't read the actual study, but from the reporting it sounds like the basic question all involved Level 5, and the question was do you wait until they are ridiculously more safe than human drivers, or just somewhat more safe than human drivers.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 9:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyFROMtheBURGH View Post
Not sure if I am interpreting this wrong, but will there be a 900-foot tall cooling tower involved with the project?
Sounds like it, but I don't remember seeing anything that tall in any rendering. Then again, they were probably all labeled "artist's rendering".

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Yeah, seeing the structure going up, it's much closer to the street than I expected, and it gives that stretch of Liberty less of a desolate quasi-highway feel.
Could look cool from the Busway too.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2017, 11:45 PM

Apartment developer Milhaus has bought the former ShurSave property in Bloomfield, with tentative plans to build four stories of apartments over a retail floor:

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...d-grocery.html

Hopefully they do something nice, because it is a prominent location right at the end of the Bloomfield Bridge.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 1:02 AM

Quote:
Apartment developer Milhaus has bought the former ShurSave property in Bloomfield, with tentative plans to build four stories of apartments over a retail floor:

Hopefully they do something nice, because it is a prominent location right at the end of the Bloomfield Bridge.
That property has been for sale for awhile now, and given the great location it has a real chance to be something transformative for the neighborhood. It's probably too much to hope for, but maybe the city could work with them and turn the awful five-way intersection there into something more pedestrian friendly.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 1:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoLith View Post
They've been actively working on the Macy's building for a few months now, still aren't any renderings outside or any signs as to what's going in there yet.
Walking down Fifth Avenue this afternoon, there were two signs at windows in the building claiming that a Waffles Incaffeinated was going to go in the old Macy's/Kaufmann's. Haven't heard of anything else yet though. That will be a great pick up for that area.
Quote:

I certainly hope they can do something nice with such a prominent location as well. It is not a very nice way to enter the neighborhood seeing that store. I do hope what ever retail is placed in the new building would include a grocery store, as I know people in neighborhood who while they may not be happy with that Shur Save, they do like having a smaller store nearby as opposed to how ridiculous Market District can be.

I agree too in hoping they can do something with that awful intersection as well. It is bad for pedestrians and getting through that light at the bridge and Main Street can be terrible during rush hour.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 4:57 AM

I don't have high hopes for the Shur Save replacement. It'll be another clump of multicolored blocks. Kind of getting tired of this crap. Indiana developer attempts "contemporary urban". I don't care how crappy that grocery store is, it has a place in everyone's hearts.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 2:53 PM

Looks like the owners of The Village of Eastside just bought the Lawrenceville Shop 'n Save complex from the URA as well. I'm guessing no immediate redevelopment is in the works, but hopefully the area at least gets upgraded a bit. There was a plan a long time ago to build senior housing along Butler Street, where there's just the hillside now. Obviously it's long-dead, but it would be possible to develop the area closest to Butler and still keep the shopping center on the top of the hill.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 4:16 PM

The Vancouver developer (Hulett Properties) that bought the granite outlet on Smallman (HERE) is proposing a 24 unit condo building.

There is a bizjournal article, but I can't seem to get to it.

https://www.bizjournals.com/pittsbur...o-project.html

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 4:56 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
The Vancouver developer (Hulett Properties) that bought the granite outlet on Smallman (HERE) is proposing a 24 unit condo building.

From Indiana to Vancouver... developers across North America want a piece of the Lawrenceville action!

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Looks like the owners of The Village of Eastside just bought the Lawrenceville Shop 'n Save complex from the URA as well. I'm guessing no immediate redevelopment is in the works, but hopefully the area at least gets upgraded a bit. There was a plan a long time ago to build senior housing along Butler Street, where there's just the hillside now. Obviously it's long-dead, but it would be possible to develop the area closest to Butler and still keep the shopping center on the top of the hill.
I'd like to see them do a sort of inverted version of Brentwood Town Square. They built a Giant Eagle there that's at about a one story lower grade than Brownsville Road with a typical parking lot, but along Brownsville they built a narrow two story structure that houses retail. The second story aligns to Brownsville Road and continues the streetwall and the first story aligns to the parking lot. This would work even better at the Shop n Save in Lawrenceville. You'd have a two story retail building fronting Butler and replacing the hillside with a streetwall, with the second story adding storefronts facing the parking lot.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
From Indiana to Vancouver... developers across North America want a piece of the Lawrenceville action!
This location is right across the street from Three Crossings so it's in the Strip. It's still kind of crazy the number and spread of developers/investors that suddenly seem interested in getting a piece of Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 7:51 PM
Ex Houstonian

Quote:

I'm still pissed about those 2 buildings across the street and how suburban and shitty they look, and how they don't go up to the sidewalk. That property could have been utilized so much better.

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 8:27 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
This location is right across the street from Three Crossings so it's in the Strip. It's still kind of crazy the number and spread of developers/investors that suddenly seem interested in getting a piece of Pittsburgh.
Drove past Spaghetti Warehouse the other night... looked like there's some work going on there... any info?

Old Posted Nov 10, 2017, 8:34 PM

Stonehaven Brewing I think.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations