HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth

King's Wharf Lot I in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Halifax Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location

Old Posted May 1, 2015, 1:51 PM

It's not looking good from what I hear. Looks like they may turn the building into apartments since they've only sold 3-4 units (out of 110!). I wonder how this will effect the future of the development? A colleague of mine left a position there recently, and apparently it's a mess. The average employee lasts under a year before they quit/fired, and there's awful management disagreements that paralyze projects. This can't be good news for the next buildings..

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 3:31 PM

I guess sales are not going very well at The Killick. I was expecting it to start any day since the footings are all ready and the crane was left on site, but the crane was taken down yesterday.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 3:43 PM
Jelly Bean Sandwich

In a perfect world I would want the tower to be built next. Maybe it would spark some sales before the current folks who plan to buy get bored and move on.

Old Posted Jun 14, 2015, 8:00 PM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jstaleness View Post
In a perfect world I would want the tower to be built next. Maybe it would spark some sales before the current folks who plan to buy get bored and move on.
I wonder if the main tower wouldn't have a bit more draw (although it probably would also contain more units). The others are all roughly the same and many of the units in them won't have great views once the rest of the project is built out. I could see a certain type of buyer going for a landmark tower but not the Killick.

Then again, maybe it's just too competitive for condos right now. There are a lot of nice urban projects going up on the Halifax side, and there are only so many buyers.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I guess sales are not going very well at The Killick. I was expecting it to start any day since the footings are all ready and the crane was left on site, but the crane was taken down yesterday.
It might just have been needed more urgently somewhere else. There have been crane shortages during the current wave of construction; I remember hearing at one point one had to be shipped on short notice from Colorado because there were no available cranes here at the time.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2015, 11:53 PM

Really hopping phase 2 starts this year. That's the most inter sting part of this to me

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 12:36 AM

I saw pieces of that crane from king's wharf (well the same colour anyway) on it's way out to the laydown yard past ex-park

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 3:47 AM
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc

Apparently the Killick is going to proceed, but it will be built by a different contractor, so the crane is being swapped out.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2015, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Apparently the Killick is going to proceed, but it will be built by a different contractor, so the crane is being swapped out.
AllNovaScotia confirms this. Fares has contracted Civil Tech Construction of Bedford to erect the Killick, replacing Arnoldin Form Work.

Fares' only explanation is that the "relationship ended".

ANS also reports the province ordered the old crane removed because the mechanism that allows the boom to move with the wind was broken, putting it "at risk to collapse", according to a Department of Labour spokesperson.

Fares says a new crane will be going up within a few weeks.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2015, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ns_kid View Post
AllNovaScotia confirms this. Fares has contracted Civil Tech Construction of Bedford to erect the Killick, replacing Arnoldin Form Work.

Fares' only explanation is that the "relationship ended".

ANS also reports the province ordered the old crane removed because the mechanism that allows the boom to move with the wind was broken, putting it "at risk to collapse", according to a Department of Labour spokesperson.

Fares says a new crane will be going up within a few weeks.
Civil Tech Construction is no longer a registered business in Nova Scotia.
According to the Registry of Joint Stocks the registration was revoked for non-payment on June 4 2015

Revoked for Non-Payment 2015-06-04
Annual Renewal 2014-04-03

The Killick has no registered sales according to the Registry of Deeds.

Rumours about Kings Wharf are swirling in downtown Dartmouth and without any hard facts I will not repeat them.

The General Manager has left and is the Conservative candidate in the Dartmouth South by-election.
The CFO has also left and is the potential purchaser of Dartmouth City Hall.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 1:25 AM

I think Civil Tech is still around in some form or another, they look to be doing the formwork at the old Halifax West site, I suspect that crane will go up any day now. They seemed to have left their building on Mt Hope last year. Not sure where they are based now.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 1:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kph06 View Post
I think Civil Tech is still around in some form or another, they look to be doing the formwork at the old Halifax West site, I suspect that crane will go up any day now. They seemed to have left their building on Mt Hope last year. Not sure where they are based now.
I don't know how they have WCB and other insurance because as they are not legally registered to do business in Nova Scotia. Doesn't cost much to register and they will have had several letters from the Registry regarding renewal and will have been warned about revoking their registration.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 2:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin May View Post
I don't know how they have WCB and other insurance because as they are not legally registered to do business in Nova Scotia. Doesn't cost much to register and they will have had several letters from the Registry regarding renewal and will have been warned about revoking their registration.
Could it be Civil Tech is the just "brand name", and the actual company is a numbered NS company? Similar to H/\LIF/\X is the brand, but Halifax Regional Municipality is still the legal name?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Civil Tech Construction is no longer a registered business in Nova Scotia.
According to the Registry of Joint Stocks the registration was revoked for non-payment on June 4 2015

Revoked for Non-Payment 2015-06-04
Annual Renewal 2014-04-03

The Killick has no registered sales according to the Registry of Deeds.

Rumours about Kings Wharf are swirling in downtown Dartmouth and without any hard facts I will not repeat them.

The General Manager has left and is the Conservative candidate in the Dartmouth South by-election.
The CFO has also left and is the potential purchaser of Dartmouth City Hall.
They have a website with lots of information. Better tell them they no longer exist.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 2:50 AM

Quote:
Could it be Civil Tech is the just "brand name", and the actual company is a numbered NS company? Similar to H/\LIF/\X is the brand, but Halifax Regional Municipality is still the legal name?
I went online to Registry of Joint Stocks and searched the company name 'Civil Tech Construction Ltd. ' and there is only one company with that name.
The President is Hammid Nikkah
You can search from here :
https://rjsc.gov.ns.ca/rjsc/acceptTerms.do?lang=en

Here is their website - devoid of any information, no email, no phone number, NADA. http://www.civiltech.ca/2401.html

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 3:18 AM

Quote:
I went online to Registry of Joint Stocks and searched the company name 'Civil Tech Construction Ltd. ' and there is only one company with that name.
The President is Hammid Nikkah
You can search from here :
https://rjsc.gov.ns.ca/rjsc/acceptTerms.do?lang=en

Here is their website - devoid of any information, no email, no phone number, NADA. http://www.civiltech.ca/2401.html
Thank you for visiting our new Internet site. As an up-to-date business, we want to give you the opportunity to stay in touch with our company and our offers. A new content management system will enable us to always keep you up to date.

At present, our web site is still under construction. We are making an effort to present you with our entire spectrum of offers as soon as possible.

In the meantime you can reach us at 902-832-7900 and by fax at 902-832-7901. We are looking forward to hearing from you. You can also contact us at our e-mail address: nick@civiltech.ca.

If you are not familiar with our company and your first contact with us is online: We would be pleased to hear from you! Please let us know what your needs and questions are, we will be more than happy to help.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokus83 View Post
Thank you for visiting our new Internet site. As an up-to-date business, we want to give you the opportunity to stay in touch with our company and our offers. A new content management system will enable us to always keep you up to date.

At present, our web site is still under construction. We are making an effort to present you with our entire spectrum of offers as soon as possible.

In the meantime you can reach us at 902-832-7900 and by fax at 902-832-7901. We are looking forward to hearing from you. You can also contact us at our e-mail address: nick@civiltech.ca.

If you are not familiar with our company and your first contact with us is online: We would be pleased to hear from you! Please let us know what your needs and questions are, we will be more than happy to help.
I clicked quickly through the pages and that is why I missed the phone and email details.
I see two websites, one is under construction and another is up to date with photos of projects as well as more information.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 6:38 PM

Quote:
The building was sold for $1,250,000 on March 31 2014 and is now occupied by KMS Marine Services Ltd which is run by Wayne Garnet Snow.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2015, 8:44 PM

You don't have to renew membership on the registry of joint stocks, very few companies do renew it. I know of a few companies that haven't renewed since the 1990's that are still operating today. I don't think that is an accurate thing to look at when it comes to see if a company is still in business or not.
I think this building will go up and not be all doom and gloom like Colin would like everyone to believe on a lot of condo buildings.
But I do think that Fares is difficult to work for. From what I hear they don't treat people well. Just all hearsay.

I do hope that we will see construction finish on Kings wharf. It will be a great asset to not only Darthmouth but all of HRM.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 1:28 AM

I say 'Realism' you say 'Doom and Gloom'
Downtown Dartmouth doesn't need another development failure....we have had plenty of property development failures over the last 35 years, all of them suffered from an excess of hype.
The value of property sales in HRM is $719,000,000 lower in 2014/15 than 2012/2013
In the last 11 years property sales in HRM have been lower than 2014/15 in only one year and without a large transaction on March 31 2015 this year would have been the lowest since 2003/4.

As for registration :
The Registry of Deeds website states :

" Who Needs to Register?
Law requires all businesses operating in Nova Scotia to register with the Registry of Joint Stock Companies except:
New Brunswick corporations and NB partnerships/business names registered in New Brunswick
Individuals or partners using only their personal names without a descriptive element or attachment such as 'and Associates'
Partnerships whose sole purpose is farming or fishing.............. etc "

http://novascotia.ca/sns/access/busi...o-register.asp

Civil tech is required to register. Or any other person could go down and ask to register a company with the same name and would be refused until Mr Nikkah had been told to complywith the law or face losing the name.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth