Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals

The Harper in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Apr 16, 2024, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLtoNYC View Post
Hopefully they start actual work immediately after demo is complete, sounds hopeful.

Per Pearl President...

“We are so excited about the city’s new leadership and bullish on the future of Center City,” Pearl Properties President Jim Pearlstein said in a statement to the Business Journal. “As with The Harper, Harper Square will be a tremendous addition to the many incredible amenities that Center City has to offer.”

Pearl is also behind the revamped Jeweler's Row tower which is slated to start late this year / early next year.
I have a feeling Pearl will. They don't mess around. Although I'm not sure if I agree with the name of the building that they chose, which they could change later. Might cause some confusion.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kool-ski View Post
No this is a separate project a few doors down near or at 19th and Sansom. The CVS project was mentioned amongst others in the article. That's going to be insane to see both of these going up at roughly the same time... hopefully!
What did they say about the CVS thing? Are they planning to move on that in the "soon" time frame?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 2:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redddog View Post
What did they say about the CVS thing? Are they planning to move on that in the "soon" time frame?
They mention the CVS proposal without really "saying" anything.

From the article: "It’s a busy section of the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood as Goodman Properties has proposed a 46-story tower on the southeast corner of 19th and Chestnut streets, rising above an existing CVS store."

No new information.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:42 PM

Demolition begins near Rittenhouse Square to make way for a needle tower with 215 units
Pearl Properties is planning to construct a building of up to 54 stories at at 19th and Sansom Streets, across the street from the Harper tower.

https://www.inquirer.com/real-estate...-20240417.html

Quote:
Demolition of four buildings on 19th and Sansom Streets, including the one that used to host the Rittenhouse location of the local Cavanaugh’s sports bar chain, is set to be completed by Sept. 1. The new tower calls for over 30,000 square feet of retail, with the plans for three storefronts.

Pearl says that full construction will begin by year’s end and that the building is expected to open within 30 months.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 3:58 PM

I feel like it's worth pointing out that Pearl no longer intends on preserving the existing buildings:

Quote:
Pearl’s original proposal also called for not only preserving the historically protected buildings like the redbrick townhome at 121 S. 19th St., but the street-facing aspects of its neighbors — the three four-story beige buildings at 113-19 S. 19th St. — which would have served as the tower’s entrance.

But that plan was eventually discarded.

“They were saying they would keep the facades along 19th, but then later they let us know that was not going to happen,” said Paul Steinke, executive director of the Preservation Alliance of Greater Philadelphia.
How are they able to do this when one of the structures is on the Historic Register? Does our Historic Commission actually do anything anymore? Are all four buildings coming down or just the ones not on the register?

Edit: it appears as if though the red brick building on the corner is staying, while the others are being demolished. The corner building is easily the one on the block with the most architectural merit, but its immediate neighbor to the north is also fairly nice. I won't cry over the other structures. We'll have to see though, too often do we hear anymore about an adjacent teardown destroying a previously protected building.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2024, 5:12 PM
Midrise

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgrath618 View Post
I feel like it's worth pointing out that Pearl no longer intends on preserving the existing buildings:

How are they able to do this when one of the structures is on the Historic Register? Does our Historic Commission actually do anything anymore? Are all four buildings coming down or just the ones not on the register?

Edit: it appears as if though the red brick building on the corner is staying, while the others are being demolished. The corner building is easily the one on the block with the most architectural merit, but its immediate neighbor to the north is also fairly nice. I won't cry over the other structures. We'll have to see though, too often do we hear anymore about an adjacent teardown destroying a previously protected building.
121 S 19th is in the district and is remaining. It is the sole historically-designated building of the project’s properties.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 2:47 PM

Last edited by TK2001; Apr 23, 2024 at 2:59 PM.

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 5:03 PM

I see this as a total win. Glad to see this getting started.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 5:29 PM

I think we can make the thread title Harper Square as well

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 7:01 PM

Is this still an overbuild/facadectomy or complete demolition?

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 7:25 PM

Someone needs to make a Bryce Harper joke. I can't think of one.

Save the SS United States!

Old Posted Apr 23, 2024, 8:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1 View Post
Is this still an overbuild/facadectomy or complete demolition?
The three yellow buildings come down; the brick corner house will remain.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:36 PM

I would've liked to see the rightmost yellow facade preserved, but keeping only the (historically designated) corner building is a reasonable compromise. The other two yellow buildings aren't particularly impressive.

Old Posted Yesterday, 6:58 PM

I just really really don't want a perfectly fine building demolished for a trash filled lot. Pearl has a good track record so I'm hopeful. Fuck Toll Brothers.

Old Posted Yesterday, 8:08 PM

^I'm proceeding on the assumption that we have less to worry about with Pearl. Also, now that I look more closely, the yellow building abutting the preserved brick corner building appears in better shape and NOT receiving the same treatment as the other yellow buildings. Since the middle building has two storefronts (and maybe two addresses), is it it just those two leftmost buildings that are going to be demolished?

Old Posted Today, 3:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
^I'm proceeding on the assumption that we have less to worry about with Pearl. Also, now that I look more closely, the yellow building abutting the preserved brick corner building appears in better shape and NOT receiving the same treatment as the other yellow buildings. Since the middle building has two storefronts (and maybe two addresses), is it it just those two leftmost buildings that are going to be demolished?
Unfortunately, according to the demolition application, the southernmost of the yellow buildings (119 S. 19th) is also scheduled to be demolished.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > Proposals